My 1436... or wait.. 1432 mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
To start things off, you can read my thread https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=88285#p88285 to find out how this project got started. Long story short, I ended up with a 1432 instead of a 1436.

So my plans of a big deck and creative storage will have to wait a few years, until I can get my hands on some money, and a bigger boat.

I do have some plans for this boat though, starting with stripping it down, painting it, building low decks with carpeting, some good seating, and whatever kind of storage I can come up with.

I'll attach the original Craigslist pictures, and update it as I go. Being May already, I'll be busting my rear end to get this done so I can do some fishing, so any help or tips would be greatly appreciated. If you happen to come up with some good storage ideas or anything else, pass them along!

This will be a huge learning experience and an even bigger money pit (especially for a college kid), but I'm confident it will turn out great.

As you'll see from the original pictures, and as you'll see from the final pictures in the future, this will be a huge transformation. This boat really needs some work, but its going to look awesome. Thats why I'm naming this Operation Polished Turd, and the name will be passed onto the boat upon completion.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 15,128
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 14,157
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 15,129
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 15,130
As you can see from the pictures, there are a million things attached to this boat. Which means, a million holes. My first step was to detach everything, and grind down the edges left from the screws. I found a few holes in the hull, and even more in the seats. My plan is to Bondo all of them before painting, even though many of them will be covered up anyways. I'd just prefer to start with a clean slate.

Anyone have any gripes about using Bondo? It seems like a good choice, but it I will have any problems down the road, please fill me in now!

Here are some pics after everything is removed, after some grinding, ready to be powerwashed and stripped of paint.

Attachments

• boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 15,058
  • boat6.jpg
    boat6.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 15,059
  • boat7.jpg
    boat7.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 14,106
  • boat8.jpg
    boat8.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 14,106
Polished turd? Looks like a diamond in the rough to me! Nice boat, even though it's not the width you planned on. Just keep the deck low. You can still add storage as well. Also, keep in mind that your skinny will be much quicker than a wider boat with the same motor! Do you plan to keep the slat work floor? I was thinking of adding something like that on my boat.

From what I've read on other threads, Bondo is not a good idea. Epoxy resin seems to me the material most suggested and I will probably use that on the holes in my rig. Anyone else have a suggestion for hole patching?

thanks for the advice cheeseball... I'll have to check it out at home depot.

I dont plan to keep the flooring in, as its made of cheap wood that isnt water proof. I will be using it as a template for my flooring tho, because it is perfect size and essentially what i'll be making with plywood.

I power washed it today and not much paint came off, but it did take a few years worth of dirt and grime out. Its really cleaning up nice, and the next step is to figure out an easy way to get the paint off. The wire wheel takes FOREVER, so I'm going to try a few paint strippers I have around the house, and if it doesnt work that well, I'll spring for some better stuff I found at Murrays.

The plan is to apply stripper, let it sit, and then drive the boat to a quarter car wash. I can't rinse it at my house because we have a well, so I guess I'll let the car wash deal with it, unless someone has an environmentally safe way of getting the job done...

I used a palm sander on my 10 footer just to rough up the paint. but on my 12 footer I used the wire wheel on a drill and it worked great, I also tried some stripper, and the wire wheel was faster for me than the stripper.
I really don't think you would want to take it to a car wash.. I would much rather take the wire wheel over the EPA any time. Unless you can get an enviro friendly stripper.?? I haven't dealt with strippers alot so I don't know if you can or not..

The more I read into it, the more it seems like I'll just have to chip it off and collect it in a bucket. Power washing might be faster, but I dont want to mess up plumbing or ground water.

The problem is, I need to take off ALL of the paint, as its really crappy. Taking a wirewheel to it just seems extremely tedious for a 14 foot boat. But if the stipper doesn't work out, I won't have much of a choice...

I also wanted to ask about the pink or blue 1 inch foam people use for flotation. I am considering cutting a spot in the front bench for a battery, which means a decent amount of foam will have to be removed. I want to put the blue/pink foam under the floor boards to compensate (and deaden noise), but I've never seen it anywhere. Any tips on where to find it and prices?

Here a paint picture I put together to get a basic idea for the mods. Its a little hard to decipher, and its subject to change. The rear storage will be supported by 2x2, with the dark green representing where they might be placed. The rear storage wont be a weight bearing structure, so I can afford to only have a little bit of support. The bow will basically be 3/8 boxing it in, with a little door to access the storage compartment.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do about a mount for the trolling motor in front, but I sure as heck know it will be study to avoid dropping my 200 buck TM in the water when I switch directions too fast....

Attachments

• Design 1.JPG
    Design 1.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 14,159
I've done some research and I'm going with Bright red Pettit Topside Easypoxy, and I'm just going to hope it doesnt blister on the bottom.

I still need to find a good self etching primer, and I really have no idea where to start. I'm looking to get it from HD to save on shipping costs. I also need to find the correct thinner to allow me to spray the topside paint thru a gun.

The interior will be done with the off brand etching primer and rustoleum semi gloss black. I'm hoping this stuff will last, but its cheap so its not a big deal if I need to touch it up once in a while.

I'm hoping to keep this whole process as cheap as possible, so we'll see what happens after I get the old paint off tomorrow or the next day.

dyeguy1212 said:
I've done some research and I'm going with Bright red Pettit Topside Easypoxy, and I'm just going to hope it doesnt blister on the bottom.

I still need to find a good self etching primer, and I really have no idea where to start. I'm looking to get it from HD to save on shipping costs. I also need to find the correct thinner to allow me to spray the topside paint thru a gun.

The interior will be done with the off brand etching primer and rustoleum semi gloss black. I'm hoping this stuff will last, but its cheap so its not a big deal if I need to touch it up once in a while.

I'm hoping to keep this whole process as cheap as possible, so we'll see what happens after I get the old paint off tomorrow or the next day.

Here are a couple options for self-etch primer:

https://www.duplicolor.com/products/primer.html --> Where to Buy: Advanced Auto Parts, AutoZone, NAPA, O'Reilly, and more. Usually runs about 6-7 bucks a can. I saw it at Advanced near me, which is what I will be buying. I used like 5 cans, the bigger ones too, for the top half of the hull (inside and out). But that wasn't Duplicolor, it was something else from NAPA called TECnique professional car care self etching primer. I'd use Duplicolor next because I hated the spray part for TEC.

https://www.moellermarine.com/aftermarket/marine_paints/primers/ --> Where to buy: WestMarine; more expensive, but I have heard good things about Moeller.

https://www.rwmallon.com/catalog.asp?prodid=553560&showprevnext=1

I think Duplicolor might be the best bet around me, but call around, they will let you know how much it costs.

Thanks for the tip ober... I'll check out a few of those places and see what they've got

I just spent the past 2 hours wire wheeling... I got the transom and one side almost done.... soooo time consuming

but I buddy from high school randomly called me today and asked if I wanted to go fishing, so looks like I'm taking a break to go out on his 94 tracker...

dyeguy1212 said:
Thanks for the tip ober... I'll check out a few of those places and see what they've got

I just spent the past 2 hours wire wheeling... I got the transom and one side almost done.... soooo time consuming

but I buddy from high school randomly called me today and asked if I wanted to go fishing, so looks like I'm taking a break to go out on his 94 tracker...

Yeah, and then you should tell him that you have some great brews...and get him to wire wheel with you. After all, goes much quicker with two guys doing it.

Check out NAPA autoparts for the etching primer and if the paint is good just scuff use the etching primer were you went down to metal then prime and paint no need to get all paint off.

I actually do need to get all the paint off though, because this stuff chips off if you look at it the wrong way. I'd prefer to start with a clean slate if I'm going to spend all this money and time.

In other news, I'm one of the few Michiganders to get hired this summer [-o< ... got a 3 night a week job doing janitorial stuff... 100 bucks a week... thatll pay for some marine carpet!

Stripping the paint shouldn't be to bad on the outside of the boat if the paint is as bad as you say it is. Should come off in sheets. Get some plastic scrapers and scrape away. It doesn't take too long. Get some old socks that you're going to throw away anyway. You know the five or six singles that don't have a mate just sitting in your sock drawer. Use them to stuff the scraped paint into. They make great little toxic sausages. Then you can dispose of the nasty stuff in a manner that is more friendly to our fish friends (and the guy who has to clean the power washing stalls).

Also, you'll need a jug of Acetone to do a wipe down after your done stripping and before you begin painting.

Toxic sausages... got it!

I actually tried a little bit we had laying around the house, and it worked pretty darn good. I'll pick some more up tomorrow, but I think I'll keep putting it in the brown paper bags haha

If I remember right the clean strip can said the stuff is harmless once it dries.

A bunch of 3m Scotchbrite pads work wonders too. Just do small 1'x2' sections and keep them wet. Lucky you can even tilt the boat to keep the working sections level. Poor me had arm ache for weeks from scraping and scrubbing upside down.

Jamie

Burned up my last wire wheel today... all I have left is the interior and the bottom. I CANT WAIT to be done with this phase... im so sick of aluminum dust in my contacts...