Kayak Modification Ideas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
I know this is a Tin boats site, but I know alot of you guys are pretty innovative, so I thought you might be able to help me out.

I'm pondering on a way to extend my existing seat on my kayak to provide a little more support. I don't really wanna have to buy a whole new seat, because most of them are expensive, and I don't use my kayak a huge ton anyways.

Here's what it looks like now...
https://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e233/bubba_wrx/DCP_0005.jpg

I'm kinda pondering on figuring out a way to tack on some rigid flexible plastic(Any Ideas?) onto the back of the existing seat, only with a higher back. Add some foam padding to the front side, then recover it all(including the existing seat) with some water resistant fabric. And probably add some straps to the upper "new" section of the seat to attach at the eyelets just above the existing seat buckles.

Just wondering if you guys might have any ideas?

Here's kinda what I got in mind...
https://www.filehive.com/files/090407/kayak.jpg

Your idea will work.Does the strap run all the way around the back or the back rest?It would help support you better if it did.You could also use thin sheet aluminum for stiffness.

ben2go said:
Your idea will work.Does the strap run all the way around the back or the back rest?It would help support you better if it did.You could also use thin sheet aluminum for stiffness.

No, the straps are sewn into the seat itself....which is what I plan on doing to the new part as well. I wouldn't be able to use aluminum, as it would eventually wear through the fabric. Just gotta find some kind of plastic I can use that will be rigid enough, and figure out how to attach it to the existing seat.

Ask a glass shop if they have any plexi glass or lexan scraps they are willing to part with.May get a freebee.1/8 inch would be good and rigid.You can shape it with a hair dryer.

ben2go said:
Ask a glass shop if they have any plexi glass or lexan scraps they are willing to part with.May get a freebee.1/8 inch would be good and rigid.You can shape it with a hair dryer.

Seriously? Never heard of that? :shock:

When we would install polycarbonate windshields in aircraft we would use heat guns if the poly was off just a little.Acrylic glass AKA Lexan and Plexi will form like poly carbonate but is a little more brittle.Hair dryer may take longer than a heat gun but it takes a lot to melt it with a hair dryer.

Well guys, I did a little shopping yesterday and got the supplies to modify my existing seat like the pic I posted for my idea. I bought a flexible craft cutting board....fairly rigid, but flexible. Then I bought one of those throwable flotation devices(https://www.defender.com/images/551634.jpg).. I had to use this type of foam, so it wouldn't absorb water. And went to the fabric shop and got some black canvas type material which should hold up well. And bought some straping for the support of the seat.

I first made a template out of some newspaper of the shape I wanted the seat to be, then transfered that onto the cutting board, and cut it out. Then I removed the existing seat and removed the original cover which gave me just a stiff plastic support. I then used some small bolts and washers and attached the new back(cutting board) onto the original seat back.

Then I gutted the flotation device because they are made of stacked 1/4" thick closed cell foam(which won't absorb water)...and glued pieced of that onto the new back(2 pieces on the front, 1 on the back).

Then I had to make a new cover....I just transfered the shape of the seat onto the material I got, sewed it together, and slide it on. It fits perfect....a real nice tight fit, as to avoid wading up on me.

Overall, I'm extremely happy with how it turned out...plus it saved me some money....and it gave me something to do yesterday since I was off work. :mrgreen:
I'll post some pics of the finished product when I get it mounted back on the kayak.

Edit...Here are the pics of the seat, I'll get some pics of the kayak saturday when I try the new seat out.

Without the cover...
IMG_0212.jpg

Here you can kinda tell how I sandwiched everything together...The black piece was the original seat back, the blue is the "cutting board"....
IMG_0211.jpg

Here's the back of it, with the strap attached for adjustment...
IMG_0210.jpg

Here is the front...
IMG_0209.jpg

Latest posts