Will's Starcraft V Hull Bass-Jon Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice build, that motor cover looks slick. I love the looks of those old motors. Goes good with the truck too.

Just to give a little update on the boat..

I finished the boat portion of the build officially. I got my registration on and now she is ready for public waters.

I also swapped the bulky forward seat post and replaced it with a removable thin seat pole. Looks much better and I like the fact that I can remove it and have a flush deck if needed. Finally I did also install a Minn Kota dual bank onboard battery charger. So nice to just hook the whole boat up to the wall and be done!

The final phase is to get the motor finished up. I spent some time with it a few days ago and got it running quite well! The only issue is that the water pump impeller needs to be replaced. So after spending quite some time to find a NOS replacement, I will be undertaking the task of replacing it.. along with the help of a local vintage Merc expert.

In the mean time I did get the rest of it in some fresh paint.

The whole setup is a hit at the local car cruise in!

Hell of a job man, looks great. I like those LEDs a lot.

Where'd you find the interchangeable flag pole/pole light setup?

Thanks so much guys!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364472#p364472 said:
Ail » 26 Aug 2014, 04:59[/url]"]

I bought the pole/flag combo at my local Academy sports. It is made by SeaSense and just plugs right into a standard stern light socket. Here is is on their site though it looks like it is available from other places on the 'net as well!

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/seasense-telescoping-flagpole-with-12-x-18-american-flag/pid-12925

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364507#p364507 said:
skyline223 » 26 Aug 2014, 11:12[/url]"]Thanks so much guys!

I bought the pole/flag combo at my local Academy sports. It is made by SeaSense and just plugs right into a standard stern light socket. Here is is on their site though it looks like it is available from other places on the 'net as well!

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/seasense-telescoping-flagpole-with-12-x-18-american-flag/pid-12925

Nice man. Thanks!

Nice boat bud! =D> =D> =D>

Glad to have another member on here from the Memphis area. Thought I recognized Herb Parsons Lake in one of your pics. Just one piece of advice, I'd get a trailer that fits your boat correctly, especially with the weight of that 10 HP hanging on the back. Bunks should extend to or just a few inches past your transom. Hope to see you out at one of the local lakes if it ever cools off.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364637#p364637 said:
Ictalurus » 27 Aug 2014, 12:33[/url]"]Just one piece of advice, I'd get a trailer that fits your boat correctly, especially with the weight of that 10 HP hanging on the back. Bunks should extend to or just a few inches past your transom.

I agree, I have been thinking about that as well. What I am planning to do is extend the tongue bar about another two or three feet so that the boat can sit up further on the trailer, allowing the transom to sit on bunks. I have also ordered a transom saver that I plan to install as well.

Hope to also see you out on the water!

We have been getting out and doing as much fishing as possible lately... trying to pull bass out of every nook and cranny of each lake in these hot temps!

Well last night I had a bit of a bad luck moment. While out on the water I noticed that something wasn't right with the floor of the boat. The paint on the interior was wrinkling up everywhere and peeling off in huge chunks. Simultaneously I noticed a vinegar-like stench...

There was no doubt what it was. The boat was filled with battery acid.

I fought my urge to panic and made my way back to the shore. This was easier said than done giving the fact that it was now completely dark and the water was 1 foot deep at it's deepest point...

Well it sure made for an interesting landing. I ended up having to get out and walk the boat out and pull her up on the shore. That left the boat and myself covered in mud.. and battery acid..

Enough with that nightmare. Here is the mistake that I know many of you know all too well.. and now I have "lived and learned".

My overall design of this boat had both my systems battery AND trolling battery to be mounted at the bow underneath the front deck. This made logical sense with my trolling motor in front and my gas motor at the rear. Well since my gas motor is still undergoing a rebuild, I have been using the trolling motor exclusively on the rear... so instead of using a proper tray, I mindlessly placed the trolling battery in the stern storage compartment with no barrier between it and the floor.

SOMEHOW the battery got a large screw stuck in the bottom of its casing, causing it to leak almost all of its acid on the floor of the boat, which ate all of the paint, destroyed my life jackets, portable rod holders, two tackle boxes, a trolling motor extension handle, a a couple other small plastic items.

So... I know it has been preached before, but here is another horror story. So if you are not using a battery box or at least a battery tray, begin to do so immediately.

Second: if you do happen to have battery acid leak in your boat, do not do as I mindlessly did and rinse it out with water. This only spread the issue. Properly neutralize the acid with baking soda and then remove.

Today was spent repainting the floor of the boat. Quite a bit of work involved cleaning up the acid, stripping what was left of the old paint, prepping the aluminum, and applying the new finish. But all in all she came out better in the end.

I used Rustoleum Almond and speckled it with a light gray. Not shooting for a perfect match to the factory sides but close enough to look good.

So now the craft is sporting a new trolling battery and a proper battery tray for it as well.

Bonus!

While rummaging through an old box of parts, I came across this Humminbird Matrix 270 that I had completely forgotten about. This unit came off of my Glasspar cabin cruiser, and since she will be getting a newer unit, this 270 will be right at home on the Starcraft. So now I am sporting a sonar for the forward seat position, and rear seat position. Getting closer and closer to a tournament rig every day! :lol:

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364508#p364508 said:
Ail » August 26th, 2014, 11:23 am[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=364507#p364507 said:
skyline223 » 26 Aug 2014, 11:12[/url]"]Thanks so much guys!

Nice man. Thanks!
Had to bookmark that link myself. Thanks for sharing it.

Well my buddy and I are about to take the Starcraft out for her first saltwater expedition. We will be heading to the Destin, FL area to do some redfishing in the bay. I think as long as we choose mild weather days, the little V hull jon should be able to handle the bay without a problem. I just about have my little Mercury running perfect, so I plan to get her rigged up so that we can speed across the bay with ease.

With the idea of putting that heavy motor on the back of the boat for an 8 hour drive, it was time to get the trailer setup correctly.

I have spent the past few days extending the tongue so that the boat sits much farther forward on the trailer, and the transom is sitting on the bunks. I will also install a transom saver bracket before we leave.

In addition to this I have added a spare tire, and some new LED lights. All this together should have this boat and trailer ready for the trip!

skyline223 said:
I have spent the past few days extending the tongue so that the boat sits much farther forward on the trailer, and the transom is sitting on the bunks.
How much did you add to the tongue and how did you go about it? Reason I ask is that I am at the point on my trailer where I'm ready to do the same thing. Turning a jet ski trailer into a boat trailer. :shock:

Another thing to remember that even with a proper battery box things can still happen. Make sure the battery & battery box are secure with a good ratchet strap. I used one of the cheap straps that came with my box; it broke loose after I hit a large chunk hole while trying to avoid running over some local wildlife. I ended up having to scrub the entire boat out with baking soda. Yet another horror story & way to ruin a $100 battery. Just my 2 cents on this.

Nice job on the boat!... Looks very nice and you done a great job!

Nice trailer too!... I had to look that up on Northern Tool, I didn't know they sold small boat trailers!
skyline223 said:
With the idea of putting that heavy motor on the back of the boat for an 8 hour drive, it was time to get the trailer setup correctly.

I have spent the past few days extending the tongue so that the boat sits much farther forward on the trailer, and the transom is sitting on the bunks.
I noticed the boat hanging off the back of the trailer on another page, and I was going to ask you if you was planning to extend the tongue!

I've done that on a lot of trailers before and it really helps a lot!... Makes it look better too! :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing!

Y_J said:
How much did you add to the tongue and how did you go about it? Reason I ask is that I am at the point on my trailer where I'm ready to do the same thing. Turning a jet ski trailer into a boat trailer. :shock:

I added 2-1/2 feet to the tongue. I called a local metal supply shop and asked for a 30" long, 1/4" thick 3x2 steel rectangular tubing. Then I simply butt-welded the piece to the end of my existing tongue and relocated the coupler to the new piece. Pretty easy!

WPS said:
I like the paint job!

What color green is that ?

Thanks!

Thank you! The color is a 1956 Chevrolet color - Ocean Green. Though when my local paintshop mixed it, they put a little too much green in it, so it is sort of a Green-Ocean-Green if you will :roll:

So today I finally got my little Merc running like a top! I spent a bit of time getting the mixture dialed in and she is ready to hit the water! Now that the transom is sitting on the bunks, the final step in "transom peace of mind" was to add a transom saver. Now she is ready to go on a roadtrip!

Thanks for the reply back!

I think the green looks great!... The white stripe looks nice with the green!

Nice job on the motor too!

Latest posts