15 ft Sea Nymph

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sweat! Guaranteed a no answer unless you ask right?

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Getting ready for carpet and final wiring connections. Everythings cut and water sealed. Starting to predrill holes for bolt-ons. Might have to add a little more support in a few spots but I'm using 3/4 inch plywood so it shouldn't be much. I'm going to just reuse the rear deck since I don't know how I'm going to setup my live well yet. I don't want to cut hatches in a new piece of plywood and not have the placement right when I come up with a live well plan.

9c1f472330a282df66ba7ea8ae75d925.jpg

81e9a9e3a1fc4c9e34b4ce2ee71740f3.jpg

c40de06666d5373889276947fab29cc3.jpg

76245f3d492a4be8fa4a4c006033c550.jpg

c8aa739d5b7cf54c290009769c7bf13c.jpg

424d73ff7302121b66b9354bb7ec1351.jpg

Got some carpet on. It's nice to finally start seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

eaa0865f15f5b695d96dfd95bce1a117.jpg

7b58527de3cf12046cf97b4580084339.jpg

499ba8120d207265b467ce03e4d4bbfa.jpg

Still trying to decide on how I want to mount my hinges. Who all just screwed them on top? Anybody screw them in on the sides of the plywood?

VAbassin said:
Still trying to decide on how I want to mount my hinges. Who all just screwed them on top? Anybody screw them in on the sides of the plywood?

We always do boat hinges so they are hidden. They lay under and are screwed into bottom of plywood.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

flex said:
VAbassin said:

We always do boat hinges so they are hidden. They lay under and are screwed into bottom of plywood.

What kind of hinges do you use? The only kind of hinges I know of are the piano hinges. And with those the only way I can think of mounting them are on top or in between the Hatch and the rest of the deck. Are you talking like a cabinet hinge or something?

122f2a1419e2d903d783b8c318441f2d.jpg
754590db5da69c3f0d4f7d7fb5a60126.jpg

I'm not sure what they're called. We used them on this boat and all of the wake boats we have flipped. I think we just got them at a hardware store.

Those are what iv been trying to find! Instead of them being just a butt hinge, they have like an L shape so you can screw into the bottom of the plywood vs the side or top

VAbassin said:
Those are what iv been trying to find! Instead of them being just a butt hinge, they have like an L shape so you can screw into the bottom of the plywood vs the side or top

Yes sir. And when you use carpet the hinge pretty much gets invisible. Somebody on here has to know what the actual name is. Maybe go to a hardware store and look?

flex said:
VAbassin said:

Yes sir. And when you use carpet the hinge pretty much gets invisible. Somebody on here has to know what the actual name is. Maybe go to a hardware store and look?

Iv gone into hardware stores looking. Haven't found anything. And when I ask someone they look at me like I have a nipple growing on my forehead. Iv been looking all over the Internet trying to find them lol

VAbassin said:
flex said:
VAbassin said:

Iv gone into hardware stores looking. Haven't found anything. And when I ask someone they look at me like I have a nipple growing on my forehead. Iv been looking all over the Internet trying to find them lol

Google "double wrap piano hinge" or "wrapped piano hinge". I think that will show what you are looking for. I used to get these from Rockler woodworking for heavy tool cabinet door applications. Don't know if they still carry them.

Edit - I see someone is selling aluminum ones on eBay under the title: "Marine Boat Seat Hinge 6 foot W Shape Aluminum New".

Iv found plenty of piano hinges. But the ones I'm finding are the single sided ones that I would have to screw into the sides of the plywood. Which I'm a little iffy about since that's not a strong way to screw stuff into plywood. I would prefer to find something that I can screw in on the bottoms of the plywood. But it's getting fairly difficult to find what I want. Those double wrap hinges are freaking expensive. 40 bucks and 20 to ship. I think I'm going to experiment with some cabinet hinges.

Frame in the edges of the plywood with aluminum?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

derekdiruz said:
Frame in the edges of the plywood with aluminum?

Iv thought about that. I'm just worried about a big gap between the 2 pieces of wood. I guess I could mess around with it and try it to see if I like it

Use 1/8 aluminum and countersink flush screws?

derekdiruz said:
Use 1/8 aluminum and countersink flush screws?

Yea that might work. I'll give it a try!

VAbassin said:
Iv found plenty of piano hinges. But the ones I'm finding are the single sided ones that I would have to screw into the sides of the plywood. Which I'm a little iffy about since that's not a strong way to screw stuff into plywood. I would prefer to find something that I can screw in on the bottoms of the plywood. But it's getting fairly difficult to find what I want. Those double wrap hinges are freaking expensive. 40 bucks and 20 to ship. I think I'm going to experiment with some cabinet hinges.

Yeah, even when I used these way back when, they were expensive as heck. Not something to use casually, that is for sure. What I can tell you is they work very well, for whatever that is worth.

LDUBS said:
VAbassin said:

Yeah, even when I used these way back when, they were expensive as heck. Not something to use casually, that is for sure. What I can tell you is they work very well, for whatever that is worth.
They Def look like they would work very well. I'm getting to figure out how I could use a cabinet hinge.

Sorry for the lack of updates yall. Had to spend some time working on the most important part of owning a boat... The vehicle to tow it! Man axle seals suck...

206a4503e7a3b2f1bb5be639644c4f24.jpg

Anyways... Got to work on the boat a little today. Got the front fish finder mount installed as well as wired for my bow fish finder. I'll get the transducer on when I install the trolling motor. I also got the transom mount transducer installed for my other fish finder I'll have when running the gas motor. I'll install the mount and finish wiring it after I get the hole drilled and that part of the deck carpeted.

f0007a5ea89fa11b4db8605cb773347e.jpg

2245ae1fa30b6b175110f7b6c70a58ec.jpg

Started working on my switch pannel. I just took an old piece of aluminum plate, scuffed it up with a grinder a little bit to make it look better, then drilled a few 7/8 inch holes.

034e0442eadef5647b72783d6e4ee42c.jpg

ca17492bf0d921ddb613d00367267651.jpg

I also got my LED running lights wired up. Still gotta mount them. They don't say which ones red and which ones green so I have to hook them up to a battery... Go figure.

e61dadc9949b9315a2fe8b99f217b963.jpg

Got my bilge pump put it but not wired just yet.

c805f60cfc4dc669982f14aa4ed520ef.jpg

e37e846b64abc6a499aa61f75b9c893a.jpg

Then I finished up the day with making a cover support system. I promise it's easier to set up then it looks! I was just wanting something portable that I can break down and throw in a Hatch when I go on a fishing trip vs a big old pvc pipe contraption.

f6a1841251a26663bb7fa1e4e7114e61.jpg

84e3974881aa82fc0d3f9bc735c06f93.jpg

89a32eb6796bf83ea5a0faf1a40fa1fc.jpg

Latest posts