1985 Sears Gamefisher 1436

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbkid

Reaction score
As some of you know, I purchased a 1985 Sears Gamefisher 1436 about a month ago. I’ve spent hours searching the forum looking for ideas on how I’m going to modify the boat. Let me first start off with the initial pictures.

Beforecleaning.jpg

Back.jpg

RottenTransom.jpg

As you can see, the transom is pretty much shot. The entire piece of plywood is rotten and needs to be replaced. So this past weekend, I began my first project on the boat: replacing the transom.

There was a total of twenty four rivets and fasteners I needed to remove in order to get the old transom out.

9-16-09015-1.jpg

I began by taking all of the fasteners out and I used the old transom as a template. I transfered the pattern onto a piece of exterior plywood. I chose exterior plywood because my local Lowe's did not carry marine grade and I already had the exterior. I then took two piece of aluminum and cut the same template out of it. I wanted to give the transom a little more backbone.

Instead of using rivets, I used stainless steel screws and fasteners. I chose to go with stainless steel screws as opposed to rivets because I had them on hand as well. I picked up some marine grade sealant and added some into each hole before inserting the screws.

9-16-09017-1.jpg

I haven't taken the boat out on the water after replacing the transom, so this weekend should be the leakage test. I'm hoping the sealant will hold up, but if it doesn't, I'm going to have to find rivets large enough for.

Does anyone know where I can pick up rivets similar to those that I drilled out?

I'm afraid I can't contribute, other than to say you've got a real nice looking rig, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks I appreciate it.

I've decided to just stick with leveling out the floor and adding a storage compartment in the front and enclosing the rear. Its still pretty nice out here, so the fishing comes first. Once winter rolls around, I'll be working on it much more. I was just glad to get the motor up and running before the end of the season.

If you used 5200 or 4200 on those bolts and screws you will not have a problem with leaks; but rivets can be bought from may places, I usually get mine from Western Fasteners.

It was not 3M 5200 that I used. I don't have the actual product with me now, but it was a silicone sealant.

Marine grade Silicone will be okay for a little while at least. If it were me I would clean out the Silicone and go back with 4200, but that's just me.

I didn't read where you treated your transom either. Did you seal it somehow with epoxy or something like Thompson's?

The transom was not treated with anything. I was hoping since it was exterior grade ply, it would hold up to a little bit of weathering.

The boat is garage kept, so if the transom holds up for a couple seasons, I would be more than happy.

Is it true I can find the 5200 and 4200 at most Wal-Marts? If so, I may pick some up. I'm hoping the silicone will be fine for now, but if I ever go back and use rivets, I'll be sure to use the 3M product.

I read that it was at wal-mart also, but after checking 4 local ones, tractor supply, and 3 other auto parts stores, ended up going to one of the boat dealers down the road from me. OUCH!! Cost me $23 for a tube of 5200. Hope it works as good as everyone says.

I'm going to see how the silicone holds up this weekend.

I'm in the early stages of modifying so if it turns out the silicone doesn't work, I'll check Wal-Mart and Lowe's for the 3M products.

I have a handful of rivets on the floor of the boat that have a slow leak. Over the course of the day, enough water fills up in the back of the boat to bother me. So this morning, I placed an order with Fasco Unlimited for some Steelfex.

Hopefully this stuff is as good as you guys say it is. I also saw over the weekend that Gander Mtn. sells the 3M 4200 and 5200 as well as a marine grade silicone, similar to what I used originally.

Hopefully they Steelflex comes in before the end of the week so I can get some work done.

Jerry told me I wouldn't have to remove all of the original paint from the bottom of the boat, but to just scuff it up instead. The paint isn't flaking off or anything, but it is scratched up pretty well. I may just go over it a little bit.

I'd like to get the leak taken care of before I begin any decking or carpeting inside the boat.

Today I was able to get the Steelflex put on the bottom of the boat. I ordered it on Monday and had it four days later, which I thought was pretty quick considering I had to send them a check first.

I would have liked to had a dark gray pigment, but this was one of the few colors they didn’t carry. I know others have asked what colors Fasco has available so I got the list of colors from Jerry at Fasco and they included: black, white, grey (light), fasco green, brown, yellow, fasco red, fasco blue, Hialeah blue, and beige. I opted for the black pigment and I am actually happy I did.

The weather was in the mid-70s today with a slight breeze. I began this morning by sanding down the bottom and sides of the boat. I then masked off the area that I had planned not to paint and I finally wiped the area down with acetone.
My father and I began by mixing small batches of the epoxy (about a half a quart at a time). The directions that come with the Steelflex are pretty thorough, so there was new confusion on what needed to be done. I ended up having a little more than half a gallon left over after doing two coats on the boat. I wish Fasco Unlimited had smaller portions for sale because now I have so much left over.

The only suggestions I have are:
1. Work in small batches.
2. Wear gloves and mask off any area you don’t want the epoxy on. With the wind blowing, the epoxy wanted to blow when we began pouring it onto the boat.
3. It is much more helpful to have someone working with you.
4. Have a clean and organized work space. Though you do not have to rush when rolling the Steelflex on, you do need to work at a steady pace. Having an organized work space helps considerably.

Finally here are some pictures. I will take some additional photos tomorrow morning once it sets up for good. The final picture gives you an idea how well the epoxy seals the rivets up.

DSC00152-1.jpg

DSC00150-1.jpg

DSC00153-1.jpg

DSC00154-1.jpg

DSC00155-1.jpg

DSC00156.jpg

If anyone has any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Here are some additional pictures I took this afternoon after taking it to the river.

DSC00159-1.jpg

DSC00160-1.jpg

Its funny how two pictures taken at different elevations can make a big difference. That is how the boat sits on the trailer. Should I change anything, as in the supports?

I'm pretty sure I have enough weight in front of the trailer axle, but here is a shot of the back.

DSC00161-1.jpg

The center support on the trailer I just made today. In the picture you'll see that the previous owner had a roller bow stop on the front of the boat and on the underside. I felt it was not the correct thing to use so I put a carpeted 2x6 in its place.

DSC00164-1.jpg

I used the bow stop, but I two two U-bolts and mounted it to the 2x6. I then took a router and recessed the nut and washers in the 2x6.

Should I do something similar on the front bow stop, where the winch is?

Finally here is an top view of the boat as it is today. I wanted to get the rivets taken care of before I did any major work on the inside. I am very pleased with the Steelflex and it kept the boat dry on its first trip out.

Nice work on the steelflex.
On your trailer you may(should)lengthen your bunks to support your transom.Your hull could develope a hook if not supported.Doesn't look like you can go any further with your winch unless you lengthen the tongue maybe just longer 2x4's will be good enough.

I will definitely lengthen the 2x4s eventually.

Does anyone see a problem with the 2x6 I added mid way up the bottom of the boat?

The Steelflex completely stopped the leaks.

I began by first rebucking the rivets and then put the Steelflex on. I am very pleased with the product.

I have a little over a half gallon left over if anyone would be interested in buying some. If not, its no big deal. I wish they would sell it in small quantities though, thats my only regret.

Thanks I appreciate it.

Now I need to decide on a color for the upper portion of the boat. Although it won't get sprayed until Spring, its nice to have a plan.

Latest posts