My 14' Aluminum Build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koulaid

Reaction score
So i just bought this 14' aluminum boat last week. Took it home and stripped everything from it.

Here are a few pics from when i got it:

IMG_0299.jpg

IMG_0300-1.jpg

IMG_0298-1.jpg

Plans: add a low deck in the middle of the boat from the first seat to the last and cut out the middle seat. Also add a low deck to the front with storage compartments. Going to paint the boat black and carpet it red.

Does anyone know what type of paint to use on the outside of the boat? Also the bottom of boat?

....as far as taking out the center bench you will have to have a way to brace the sides so she doesn't buckle. I am leaving my center bench in on my build as there is also valuable foam in that bench that helps with bouyancy. Just my 2 cents.

You could by some sheets of foam and lay under the decking for your bouyancy. And on the paint i would go check out this site https://www.finishing.com/107/12.shtml

The benches do help support the hull, but so many people here have removed them and cut into them for storage/livewell purposes, and have had great success.

Looking forward to seeing your progress, so keep us updated with pictures!

Like you I am working on a 14' V, and I ended up wasting some money buying some paint at a local store because I was tired and in a hurry to get the boat painted long story short... don't do what I did learn from my mistake.

First off looks like your hull is bare metal at this point from where I'm sitting. I didn't go through everything on the link the other member posted in regards to your question, but I read looks like a couple places you need a "aluminum oxide" primer. That is one of the first places I have seen that in my research.

What every thing I have read and everyone seems to say is that you need a "self-etching" primer. This means the primer actually scratches the surface if you will to give itself good places to bond to. Several people in several threads here either say use a "zinc chromate" primer (which is a "self-etching" primer from what I gather) only, or they recommend it and then say that at least you need a self-etching. I found some "self-etching" locally that says it is for use on bare aluminum and as I only have spots of bare aluminum I am going to go with it and I figure it will be just fine. You might want to spend a little more time/money/both getting the exact right thing as opposed to just 'something that will work' as the category you might throw the stuff I got in.

As far as paint, you want something that is going to dry hard, i.e. an oil-based enamel. There are actual "marine paints" which as far as I can tell are always or at least generally fall under the category of oil based enamel. The only place I could find tintable oil-based enamel was a specialty store near me (sherwin williams) and it was super expensive and they only carried gloss finishes. I ordered Parker's Duck Boat Paint in Hunter Green today, but they also offer other colors and even with shipping beats sherwin, except on the immediate satisfaction meter.

Hope this helps a little, or gets a step ahead in your research and prevents you from wasting any money like I did!

Alright so the past week i have been sick and coughing my lungs out. Felt better today so i headed out to work on the braces for the deck. This is what i came up with. Not much done, but it's coing along great and how i wanted! Just need some more support on the bottom. I will be back out tommorow to put more bracing on. Anyone have any ideas on what kind of plywood and how thick i should get? Thanks

IMG_0323.jpg

If the braces are within 12" of each other, get something around 1/2" plywood.

Look for exterior grade (but not treated) plywood. Just ask somebody at home depot and they should be able to help you out.

dyeguy1212 said:
If the braces are within 12" of each other, get something around 1/2" plywood.

Look for exterior grade (but not treated) plywood. Just ask somebody at home depot and they should be able to help you out.

Why not treated wood? i was reading around and most people said to use treated wood. Anyways, had a little time after classes today to work on the boat. Finished up the rest of the braces. Will work on the bottom support tommorow and hopefully be done with it this weekend. I want to take the boat out for some crappie fishing soon. Heres more pics:

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0324.jpg

That looks real good, a nice wide 14, just what I am looking for, Hey Welcome and good luck,
Why not treated wood? because treated wood reacts with aluminum, in time will pit it and make pin holes, however, thousands of people do it, its not really commun knowlege. I would not have known before finding this site. How long do you want to keep it? two years? go ahead and use what you want, if you like to hold on to it ( and care about the next person you selling it to) stay away from treated lumber.
Use the search option top of the page, lots of info readily available.

Been busy with school and all so the project came to a halt. Built more support today and i should be done by next week after exams. In the mean time, i sold my civic to get a crv. check it out!

IMG_3733.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

IMG_0388.jpg

Those CRV's will never let you down man. My mothers has been given to two seperate family members and is still running strong at 275k.

Latest posts