The Flats Tracker Project (1983 Bass Tracker) FINISHED

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rook

Reaction score
Been keeping my eye on CL for a while trying to find something that sparked my interest and was in the right price range. In other words something that was cheap, but also something that was a good base to start a new project on. Well last weekend I ran across a 1983 Bass Tracker 16ft with a 1983 Mercury 50hp 4-cyl. The price was right and I just couldnt pass it up. Needed alot of work but was actually water ready. Good tight motor with good compression and the hull was in really good shape. Boat was all original down to the trolling motor and everthing was in working condition. Shes not much to look at but just give me a little while.
BASSTRACKER001.jpg

BASSTRACKER002.jpg

I started stripping it down pretty much the moment I arrived home. The floor was rotten and the carpet was in rough shape and I wasnt real happy with where the console was located. At first this started out as just a replace what was bad and paint but the further I dug the more the picture I had in my head changed. Actually its still changing. But as for now Im finished up ripping everything out and after a little mock up of the new "addition" I bought this weekend we are gonna pull the motor and get ready for paint. After paint is when the fun begins. I will keep this thread updated with pics as the progress goes. Im thinking of going to "flats boat" route but will see. Its definately going to get a center console instead of the side console and im shortening the back deck about 14".

Getting the back deck tore apart was a job in itself. I never imagimed that it was all alum with no wood.
BASSTRACKER004.jpg

Inside completely stripped (well as far as I need it to go atleast)
BASSTRACKER006.jpg

BASSTRACKER007.jpg

BASSTRACKER008.jpg

looks just like my fiance's Dad's boat! He redid his entire inside. Even mad a rod locker for it!

Got the Poling Platform fitted last night. Had to make sure of the mounting location before I pulled the motor and started the paint process. Going today to pick up a free (I love that word) 14 gallon alum built in fuel tank from a friend. Got to figure out how to make it work and then off with the motor and its time for playtime with the orbital sander and grinder!! I can see a redfish stalking and quacker killin machine in the makin.
BASSTRACKER.jpg

rook said:
but the further I dug the more the picture I had in my head changed. Actually its still changing.
hah story of my build as well! Good luck! But looks like you found a great "base" to start from!

Nice boat....looking closely at your first picture...I have never seen a TV Satilite Dish mounted on a Bass Tracker before.... :lol:

Seriously...I am on my way (tonight after work) to look at a 1980 Bass Tracker II..looking at your pics gives me an idea of how she is made.....looks like I might be joining the club....

I will start a new tread with with pic's if all goes well.

Outdoorsman said:
Nice boat....looking closely at your first picture...I have never seen a TV Satilite Dish mounted on a Bass Tracker before.... :lol:

Seriously...I am on my way (tonight after work) to look at a 1980 Bass Tracker II..looking at your pics gives me an idea of how she is made.....looks like I might be joining the club....

I will start a new tread with with pic's if all goes well.

I would look very closely to the bow for cracks, and the first rib on the bottom of the boat from the left (drivers side). I a currently restoring a 80 BTIII and two problems I've found out is the bow is a week point for cracking. And on the BTIII they ran the trolling motor wiring under the floor and the insulation breaks down from water and arcs on the boat causing holes in the hull not to mention electrolysis... Just my two cents.....

Ill take a look at that as well on this boat. All the wiring on this rig was through the walls. But I will tak a closer look at the bow.

I just got a 1983 with 50 merc the back end has no deck, watching to see how you do yours. Looks like an intense project.

A little progress, between showers this weekend was able to get the new trailer bunks and guides on as well as finish prepping the hull for paint. After doing a little research I ended up on the phone with a local company (Research Products) about what I need to do to get ready for paint. The duck boat that I did last year was factory painted unlike this one which is bare alum. Anyway after calling around I end up with a product called "Luma Brite". Man this stuff does its job and does it well. After getting all the stickers and sticky of the hull I applied the first "coat" of this stuff. Let sit 5 minutes and wash off. Then one more time and just look at the pics. It cleans, degreases and etches all in one step. Good stuff!!

Old
basstracker020.jpg

New
basstracker024.jpg

Luma Brite
basstracker023.jpg

Before
basstracker025.jpg

basstracker026.jpg

After first wash
basstracker027.jpg

basstracker028.jpg

After second wash
basstracker030.jpg

basstracker031.jpg

Its good stuff man. All the info is on the bottle so look at the pic to get phone number. Its made here locally but Im sure they can ship. Silver Ships, which is a big ship builder down here has done away with sandblast by using this stuff. I mixed mine 8:1 and it started foaming as soon as it hit the hull.

Oh yeah I forgot an important update. Sold the '83 Merc 50 and picked up a '90 Mariner 50 w/tilt and trim.

neworleans093.jpg

BASSTRACKER032.jpg

rook said:
Oh yeah I forgot an important update. Sold the '83 Merc 50 and picked up a '90 Mariner 50 w/tilt and trim. Sold the Merc for $800.00 and bought the Mariner for $1000.00. Spent $200 but got a 7 year newer model and tilt and trim.

Good job on the motor swap! The older these motors get, the harder it is to get parts for them. The newer the better.

Got some painting done this weekend. Got the bottom and sides painted and it flipped back over and on the trailer. Actually got one coat on the topside last night but do not have pics yet. Its amazing what a little paint will do!!!

First Coat
basstracker034.jpg

Second and back on the trailer.
basstracker036.jpg

basstracker038.jpg

basstracker037.jpg

Gonna try and hang the motor tonight if I can get some help. Got my hands on a old jack plate that was in rough shape. Was able to salvage half of it and make the other half out of 4" Alum L-bracket. Gonna be about a 6" backset so should get the prop into a little "cleaner" water. The boat had a plywood backing plate between the motor and the transom. With the jack plate I decided to go back with a 3/16" alum plate instead. Sealed up all the old holes with 5200 and got it installed last night. Now if I can get the motor hung then I can move on to getting the center console fabricated and get this thing put back together.

Jack plate
basstracker042.jpg

New backing plate
basstracker044.jpg

basstracker041.jpg

basstracker043.jpg

basstracker045.jpg

basstracker046.jpg

basstracker047.jpg

Latest posts