1988 Sea Nymph Fishing Machine (v-hull) Modding!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrHitman007

Reaction score
Hi to everyone on the boards! While this is my first post, I've been lurking on the boards for a while to gather information about v-hull modifications. I am just about to start mine but, I must say that I've already learned a lot. The inspiration I've gained from some of your builds has been great! =D>

Since I didn't see any boats exactly like mine, I thought I would try and document my modifications from start to end for others. I also might need some advice from the pros on here along the way!

Attached are a few pictures of the planning phase I am currently in. I've tried to label the storage areas, coolers, and pedestal mounts for the seats. I have a good plan for the structure underneath but found it hard to use paint to share it.

All comments are welcome.

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 7,613
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 7,613
  • photo_decking.jpg
    photo_decking.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 7,613
  • photo_decking_front.jpg
    photo_decking_front.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 7,613
I've got the same exact boat, I am looking forward to seeing what you do to it. I haven't seen any others like it.

Made some progress today... still a lot to do. This isn't as easy as I was hoping :)

So far I've spent about $100 on materials... not counting the coolers and seat mounts (another $100).

Attachments

• Front supports.jpg
    Front supports.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 7,454
  • backwithcoolers1.jpg
    backwithcoolers1.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 7,454
  • backwithcoolers2.jpg
    backwithcoolers2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 7,454
Thanks. Yes, 2x2's all around. I've fastened to the aluminum with the same type of screw/lag that was on the original floor. I was pretty luck in that my floor has some pre-made ribs that are level (see above pictures). Just have to decide on 1/2 or 3/4" plywood now. Then treat the wood and the leak test!

Here's the latest update..
I picked up plywood (3/4") from Home Depot yesterday for about $30 a sheet. I started to make templates out of cardboard... what a pain the you know what. Anyone have tips on an easier way to make templates? The back shouldn't be horrible but the front deck is tough with the curves from the boat.

--EDIT, just found the answer to my own question!
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6985&hilit=deck+template

MrHitman007 said:
I picked up plywood (3/4") from Home Depot yesterday for about $30 a sheet. I started to make templates out of cardboard... what a pain the you know what. Anyone have tips on an easier way to make templates? The back shouldn't be horrible but the front deck is tough with the curves from the boat.

I just drilled a hole in a spare piece of 2x2 to hold a pencil. Then laid the cardboard in the boat straight. I traced along the inside of the boat with the 2x2 drawing my curve on the wood. Then cut the curve.

To cut the curve, I used a circular saw - I found this by accident. I was cutting the piece out of the full sheet to take to the scroll saw and I cut outside the line. It turned out just about perfect. Very Easy! The curve was perfect and smooth. I did 2 of them just perfect with no issues - and I have really no experience with my saw!

wasilvers said:
MrHitman007 said:

I just drilled a hole in a spare piece of 2x2 to hold a pencil. Then laid the cardboard in the boat straight. I traced along the inside of the boat with the 2x2 drawing my curve on the wood. Then cut the curve.

To cut the curve, I used a circular saw - I found this by accident. I was cutting the piece out of the full sheet to take to the scroll saw and I cut outside the line. It turned out just about perfect. Very Easy! The curve was perfect and smooth. I did 2 of them just perfect with no issues - and I have really no experience with my saw!

I'll give that a shot! Thank you!

Thanks to a buddy of mine, a ton of progress was made last night on the low floor and casting deck up front. Should have the rear deck finished up this weekend. [-o<

image.aspx
image.aspx
image.aspx

image.aspx

Made a lot of progress yesterday... just a couple more days for the carpet adhesive to arrive and I should be good to go do some fishing! [-o<

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 15,045
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 15,045
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 15,045
Almost there... just a bit left to finish. I wasn't planning to cover the coolers, but I'm thinking I am going to need to. I'd like to use some aluminum diamond plate material, but I'm not sure how thick it should be in order to support a person if they step on it. Any input? Here is the site I am looking at. https://www.quickshipmetals.com/diamond-plate/aluminum-diamond-plate.html Thanks!!

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 15,020
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 15,020
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 15,020
Carpet looks good! You might as well have put keg slots instead of cooler slots, considering the amount of beer you'll be able to haul :lol: :beer:

dyeguy1212 said:
Carpet looks good! You might as well have put keg slots instead of cooler slots, considering the amount of beer you'll be able to haul :lol: :beer:

Thanks... haha! Actually, the plan was to use one for 'dry storage' and the other for the cold drinks. However, it's very possible they will both have cold drinks in them at one point or another :wink:

Well, I finally got some more work done on the boat thanks to the weather finally going in my favor. I painted the interior with some textured spray paint that seems to compliment the carpet nicely. All I need to do now is install my stainless hinges on the hatches and get the seat mounts installed. Not 100% sure on the method to get the seat mounts in, but I'll be searching for some tips shortly.

Attachments

• photo 2 (1).jpg
    photo 2 (1).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 12,426
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 12,426
One seat installed! =D> Two to go!

Attachments

• photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 12,363
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 12,363
  • photo 3 (2).jpg
    photo 3 (2).jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 12,363
Well, I finally got all the seats in. Time to go fishing!

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 12,283
  • photo 3 (3).jpg
    photo 3 (3).jpg
    180.5 KB · Views: 12,283
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 12,283
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg