Working on my Tracker 1448 Grizzly

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobberboy

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
MY APOLOGIES TO READERS: DUE TO NEW PHOTOBUCKET THIRD-PARTY HOSTING POLICIES THE PHOTO'S ACCOMPANYING THIS THREAD ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE. WITHOUT THE PHOTO'S THE INFORMATION HERE HAS LOST MUCH OF ITS USEFULNESS SO PROCEED IF YOU WISH. GREED AND MONEY AS USUAL TRUMP EVERYTHING.

I've been working for a few weeks trying to get some changes made to my new (to me) boat. I picked the boat up in February and really scored on the price. In fact it wasn't until I registered the boat and trailer that I was sure it wasn't stolen. The boat and trailer are 2008 with practically no water time. The motor is a 2009 that has never been in the water. The former owner had a 9.9 on it originally. In the fall of 2009 he replaced the 9.9 with a 25 hp Merc 4-stroke EFI. It's electric start and tilt/trim. I got a 55# MinKota and two batteries. Five grand. What a sweet deal.

P1011603.jpg

Mine is like this one but without the floor.

tracker2.jpg

I don't really have that much to do on this boat but I want to make a few changes. I am going to add navigation lights, interior lights, install and wire the TM, add a finder, cover the battery and gas tank, put a floor in and carpet the floor and deck. I fish catch-and-release and with artificial bait so I won't be adding a live well. Given my love of lunch and snacks, I guess I should find a spot for a cooler though. My brother came down last week and we almost finished the wiring - I still have to harness all the wires and finish some odds and ends.

You can see the mess I've made in the next pic. I had to move the rear seat mount - it was in the worst possible place, directly in front of the motor. I can't imagine why they are installed that way. Maybe I'll put a cup holder in place of the old one - or just cover it up. I needed a place for a small switch panel for the lights and decided to put it on the side of the seat (the blue 4x4 elect box you can see in the pic). It also gave me an opportunity to add some covered storage in the rear of the boat. I removed about 40% of the flotation from the rear seat but I added it back under the floor so I thought it was ok. I couldn't believe how long it took to get that foam out. I finally took a Sawsall with an 8" blade and shredded the foam and once I could get under it things went a little faster.

P1010036.jpg

My brother fashioned this mounting plate for the transducer and speedo out of some left-over Sintra from my last project.

P1010097.jpg

Here you can see the interior of the partially excavated rear seat with the wires going everywhere. We made the bus bar out of Sintra and an aluminum scrap. I finished getting the foam out but still need to harness the wires and cover the buss bar.

P1010041.jpg

I got the foam in the floor, glued and foamed all the gaps and holes. It may not have been necessary to fill the gaps but the sound of squeaking styrofoam makes me crazy so I wanted to be sure all was firmly stuck in place. I got the pattern made for the floor and then it started raining. It's not quite 40 days and 40 nights yet, but this weekend is the opener and the boat is as you see it. I've got Friday off and it's supposed to be clear. Hopefully I can get a week's worth of work done on Friday.

P1010094.jpg

Anyway, more to come...

I see the hole and the missing foam but all that is in it's place is a small electric box and a bus bar, what are you going to do with the other space you cleared out? Looks like a sweet aquatic ride, I bet it scoots with that 25HP on it. Looking forward to your updates.

UtahBassKicker said:
I see the hole and the missing foam but all that is in it's place is a small electric box and a bus bar, what are you going to do with the other space you cleared out? Looks like a sweet aquatic ride, I bet it scoots with that 25HP on it. Looking forward to your updates.

I never have a place to keep my tackle and my beloved lunch and I thought it would be a good spot for that. I have a hatch lid to fit over the hole. I just need to be careful of the wires and especially the bus (I gotta get it covered).

I haven't even had the boat in the water yet and the motor's not broken in so it will be interesting to see what happens when I can crank it. Seems like it will get along pretty well...

I have a boat about like yours but alittle older.Mine has a 15hp Mariner and she will travel at 22 to 23mph on my hand held GPS.What will that 25 hp do on your boat?

Also wanting to know what your plans are for a lid where you cut out on your back deck?That a good idea right there.I may end up doing that to mine.Make good storage area for battery,I might even do both side of my boat but need to figure a good lid setup first

Jeffrey Curtis said:
I have a boat about like yours but alittle older.Mine has a 15hp Mariner and she will travel at 22 to 23mph on my hand held GPS.What will that 25 hp do on your boat?

Also wanting to know what your plans are for a lid where you cut out on your back deck?That a good idea right there.I may end up doing that to mine.Make good storage area for battery,I might even do both side of my boat but need to figure a good lid setup first

I let you know how fast once I get it in the water. It'll be a little while though because I have to break in the motor.

I ordered a deck hatch from Great Lakes Skipper to cover the hole (and I double checked the cutout size before I started cutting!) Here's the link to it...

https://greatlakesskipper.com/produ...ress-13-inch-x-17-38-inch-boat-cam-hatch.html

BTW, Great Lakes Skipper is a good resource. I have purchased several times and always good service, good prices - fast delivery too.

That is a really clean cut you made in the bench seat. What did you use? I am planning to install a couple of storage hatches in my boat seats too. Are you going to be using the bin that goes with those Tempress hatches?

Have you put the boat in the water with that FF transducer yet? I put mine in a similar location and its spraying water like crazy once I get going with the outboard. I tried moving it up and down, so I'm starting to thing the location is the issue.

BaitCaster said:
That is a really clean cut you made in the bench seat. What did you use? I am planning to install a couple of storage hatches in my boat seats too. Are you going to be using the bin that goes with those Tempress hatches?

A jig saw with a fine tooth blade. Don't use a metal (or hack-saw type) blade as the teeth get plugged up with the aluminum. Any fine toothed wood blade will do. I wasn't very careful though about scratching the paint. Either tape the foot of the saw or the area around the cut with masking tape to prevent too many scratches. I hadn't thought to use the bin but it's a good idea. So far I have started to line the cavity with 1/2" pink foam just to clean it up a bit. Maybe I'll rethink that, depending on how expensive the bins are.

dyeguy1212 said:
Have you put the boat in the water with that FF transducer yet? I put mine in a similar location and its spraying water like crazy once I get going with the outboard. I tried moving it up and down, so I'm starting to thing the location is the issue.

I haven't yet. I did have trouble with my last boat. The spray actually somehow went up and forward and I got wet. I'll have to see what happens. One good thing about putting a mounting plate on is if I got the transducer in the wrong place I can move it without more holes into the transom.

bobberboy said:
BaitCaster said:

A jig saw with a fine tooth blade. Don't use a metal (or hack-saw type) blade as the teeth get plugged up with the aluminum. Any fine toothed wood blade will do. I wasn't very careful though about scratching the paint. Either tape the foot of the saw or the area around the cut with masking tape to prevent too many scratches. I hadn't thought to use the bin but it's a good idea. So far I have started to line the cavity with 1/2" pink foam just to clean it up a bit. Maybe I'll rethink that, depending on how expensive the bins are.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of using a wood blade, but I guess it majes sense. The Tempress bins are great, but they are pretty pricey for what they are. I've nbeen checking them out on the Cabela's website.

BaitCaster said:
bobberboy said:
BaitCaster said:

Thanks. I hadn't thought of using a wood blade, but I guess it makes sense. The Tempress bins are great, but they are pretty pricey for what they are. I've been checking them out on the Cabela's website.

Don't go to Cabela's. Check out Great Lakes Skipper first https://greatlakesskipper.com/. Maybe others here have suppliers they could also recommend...

Froggy said:
Nice looking rig, I see you even have a winch in the right place this time..... I did find a rather clever answer to that whole deal! Good luck with it!!

Froggy, I had a trailer just like yours for my 1236 and I tried everything I could think of to get that thing right. The tongue was too short or something. It was pretty annoying to have the handle of the winch slapping the water at me every time I pulled on the rope. If you figured out something that works maybe you should post a pic. Lately there have seen a few people buying those Harbor Freight trailers and they will have to solve the problem. All-in-all it is a nice trailer and perfect for a 10' or 12' boat.

I been thinking if water gets in to your compartment how it going to get out?You take all the foam out or leave some in?IF you leave it in you must come up with solution for drainage of water from compartment.

Jeffrey Curtis said:
I been thinking if water gets in to your compartment how it going to get out?You take all the foam out or leave some in?IF you leave it in you must come up with solution for drainage of water from compartment.

The boat seat has a bottom, I guess the whole seat is made then installed in the boat with the foam-in-place last (at least I think it works that way). I took all of the foam out of the port side to almost half way so it's open to the bottom. I could drill a hole through the bottom of the seat compartment and let the water drain into one of the strakes and then out of the back. The hatch cover I bought doesn't have a gasket on it and I've been wondering whether I should try to put one in. I guess, now that you mention the water drainage, I better do that. Thanks for the tip.

Latest posts