My 2010 tracker 12Ft project Jon with 40 HP evinrude (1975)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InshoreAngler

Reaction score
Well this is at least a start. After purchasing the boat i found this site. My cousin and I are now embarking in a full renovation to this 12 ft jon which will have a 40hp Evinrude, some may just say we're crazy but we will prove you wrong!!! Alot more to come boys...
0BwNeOd4-YIlVYTE0YjZlODAtNjkwMC00YzBmLWEyMDMtNmVkMGQ5ZjRlZjk2

Attachments

• _0514132541_001.pdf
    176.6 KB · Views: 151
Why a 40hp motor on such a little boat? You do realize that WOT will likely flip that boat completely over? Even if you could get it on plane without flipping, it would probably do 60+ mph? Also, the weight of the decking and motor alone will likely get you to the maximum weight without even putting a person in it......

Also, your front deck you may want to reconsider on a 12' boat. The 12' Trackers I'm aware of are only 32" wide and are going to be tippy in the front without a deck. If you decking to the gunwhale or top of the seat, if you accidentaly sneeze you will probably end up in the drink.

Rick James...... Im very saddened by your non beliving soul, i hope this youtube video will give you some insparation. And also, i will be posting pictures of how i will be reinforcing the transome and balancing the weight. Also as far as the tipping goes, once this weight is put on the boat it should be much more stable from my expirience. Anyhow this is just for fun and i have no need to take it full throtle, just moving nice through the flats of florida bay and the keys will be sufficient. thanks for the intrest and lots of pictures to come Mike!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ7dgWW6KRs

InshoreAngler said:
Rick James...... Im very saddened by your non beliving soul, i hope this youtube video will give you some insparation. And also, i will be posting pictures of how i will be reinforcing the transome and balancing the weight. Also as far as the tipping goes, once this weight is put on the boat it should be much more stable from my expirience. Anyhow this is just for fun and i have no need to take it full throtle, just moving nice through the flats of florida bay and the keys will be sufficient. thanks for the intrest and lots of pictures to come Mike!

I've already seen that youtube...lol. Make sure someone is filming your maiden voyage, I wanna see the carnage. If you have that much faith..........I wanna see you romp on it. :twisted:

Here we go, i got a picture of the engine. Its a 1975 Evinrude 40 HP, weight is 145 pounds. I am planning to reinforce the transome with marine grade ply wood and fiberglass resin that will add strenght to the transom. those plans are coming soon!!!
0BwNeOd4-YIlVYTk1N2Y1MGItMTNjNS00NDIzLWJhZDYtNTMzZDE1ZDI3OTgy

As much as Id like to see a boat flip (barring nobody gets hurt) Please be careful. Even in the video guy says he never went past half throttle because it was so unstable. Think if you accidently slip and give it full throttle :shock: I would just sell that motor or trade for something smaller. No need to have a 40 if your not gonna use it to full potential. But if your dead set on that setup atleast take your wallet and phone out of your pocket first :D

Guys i am very thankfull for your intrest and rest assured that i will try to engenineer this to be one of the best, stable, and reliable jon boat conversions you have seen around.

Also, i plan to put a stopper on the throtle to avoid full throtle by mistake!

And you guys will be helping plenty throught the build. Due to the impact i seemed to have created it only seems right that you guys help me make some decisions along the way!!! stay tuned

Follow us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Inshore-Anglers/121910971167256?ref=ts

You're going to need to do more than marine ply and resin to reinforce that transom. You will need additional (more than one) knee braces. It better be bolted through, as well.

InshoreAngler said:

This was probably the dumbest, most boring youtube video I've ever seen! I can't believe I watched the entire 3+ minutes of it. I kept waiting for something cool to happen...still waiting.

Good luck with the boat, seems to me that a 40HP is kind of overkill though.

Over kill is an understatement....not to mention there is no way you could ever insure that boat which opens up an entire can of worms dealing with liabilities and RESPONSIBILITIES if anyone besides yourself should get hurt in an ACCIDENT....

I think leaving your wallet and phone number with a close friend was a good idea....maybe also the number of your next of kin...and oh yea....the number of your Lawyer….

nuff said....

I'm interested to see how it turns out. I have no idea why you would want that much power on a 12 but to each his own. I'm sure there is a way to lay it out weight-wise that would make it less likely to end in flaming death.

If you are trying to beef up the transom, I would recommend actually glassing it in rather than just coating it with polyester resin. You can get cloth and mat from just about any auto store. For my transom on my little fiberglass boat, I used mat over wood. and 5200's it to the back and sides. The boat will break in half before it goes anywhere.

I understand some of you may be thinking that this is a bit of an overkill but please keep rude comments to yourself. This is an experiment as any other job done on this site. This 40 hp engine is not like the 40s we have now adays, it ways less and produces less tourque. I would like for the readers to put real suggestions like others have, and make this build a team effort otherwise just lay off this thread. thank you, and i will be posting new developments soon.

InshoreAngler said:
I understand some of you may be thinking that this is a bit of an overkill but please keep rude comments to yourself. This is an experiment as any other job done on this site. This 40 hp engine is not like the 40s we have now adays, it ways less and produces less tourque. I would like for the readers to put real suggestions like others have, and make this build a team effort otherwise just lay off this thread. thank you, and i will be posting new developments soon.

I think most people here are worried that a boat that small and a motor that big are being put together. It has nothing to do with you (we don't even know you) as a person, just that we would hate to see something happen to you or those that matter to you.

I'm sure it will be fine, but we wouldn't be doing our service as a community if we didn't post our reservations. Some comments may seem rude, but it's the internet it's hard to tell tone and intonation through the typed word.

UtahBassKicker said:
InshoreAngler said:

This was probably the dumbest, most boring youtube video I've ever seen! I can't believe I watched the entire 3+ minutes of it. I kept waiting for something cool to happen...still waiting.

Good luck with the boat, seems to me that a 40HP is kind of overkill though.

Hows this one for ya?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BO6EbCTKwM&feature=related

InshoreAngler said:

What exactly about a boat porpoising like Flipper impressed you? The boat won't even properly plane out ....

The way that thing slaps against the water every 10 yards if you ride around in it all day you'll be so packed you won't be able to take a dump for a week .....

Latest posts