1975? 12ft Sea King

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyBob365

Reaction score
Hey all, i'm starting my new project this upcoming weekend! Just thought I'd give yall a look at what i'm going up against!

just to let yall know, i got this for a hundred bucks, with the trailer (gotta get new tires he said, and also redo the lighting)!

https://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc247/mikeybob365/Boat%20Project%2012%20ft%20Sea%20King%201975/?albumview=slideshow
^Boat Slide Show Link!!!^

My plan right now is to do about the first quarter or third into a deck/storage area, so i can have the battery and livewell up there with the trolling motor, but i'm afraid that will be too much weight forward? any opinions?
And just give the rest a carpet floor, not sure if i'd rather keep it low and be sure i'm good, or raise it and put some storage areas in it... :/ but then put too chairs one in the middle, and one in the back!
As far as painting, I've decided to go with either Black w/ Maroon or Maroon W/ Black, that way i won't have to worry bout keeping it clean!

i've looked around and got ideas, but if anyone has some good solid plans drawn out that'd they'd like to show me, i'd be glad to see it!

Day 1:

CIMG0041.jpg

CIMG0039.jpg

CIMG0038-1.jpg

CIMG0037.jpg

now this picture i have a question about!
CIMG0036-2.jpg

should i be trying to get it all down to that smooth? or will it be fine painting it? i'm just using a camera phone, so you cant make things out real nice... then again i was in a garage with bad lighting.

also after further inspection on the boat, i noticed there was a goo, i'm guessing fiber glassing or something, that goes down the ridges:
CIMG0028-2.jpg

should i take it off and see if it leaks? or what? i really don't mind having the gunk there as a precaution, but i am very clueless to the situation at hand, and how to prep knowing about that.

sorry if i seem clueless bout knowing about this, the guy hardly knew bout the boats history, and for a hundred bucks i wasn't gonna hangle this, and we were towing right before sunset, so i just wanted to get the boat on, and head out!

If you are painting, I wouldnt get it shiny. I would just scuff it up, then sand it with a lighter grip, use self etching primer for a coat or two, then the top coat.

As for the bottom, I would try and remove all that "goo." If it is a pain to get off and is thick, try a heat gun, usually comes right off. 10 bucks at harbor freight, great purchase and perfect for heat shrink later. If it's just another layer of paint-like stuff, strip it/wheel it/etc and then scuff and steel flex in my opinion (after bucking any loose rivets).

Hope this helps.

thanks, ober! anybody have a prefernce on a brand of that stuff?

here is today's progress,
Day 2:
CIMG0049.jpg

took the seats out cause they, well at least the back one, was rotting. when i went to unscrew them, the bolts were rusted to the screw, so i sawed the seats off so i can use a wire brush to get the rust off somewhat.
CIMG0052-2.jpg

if the wire brush doesn't work anybody got an idea?

also went to home depot, and decided to get a paint stripper, it says it works on metals, and will get rid of paint, so i dont think i have to worry too much about all these little spots anymore.

Day 3:
I've got the whole outside done, except for the previous registration number(just in case!) all that is left to do is the inside.
also my buddy came over and we put it in the pool, didn't leak!

CIMG0057-1.jpg

CIMG0058-1.jpg

CIMG0059-1.jpg

CIMG0060-1-1.jpg

and here are my plans!
CIMG0060-1.png

of course, i'll eventually get seats, but gotta worry bout the little stuff first!

***also! since my boat does not have a plug, should i put a bilge in it?*** i tried searching but it was very vague search which meant irrelevant topics

I just bought the same exact boat a couple days ago :shock: Mine's a '67 but looks identical right down to the same corner handle being broken :lol:

I haven't done anything to it yet so I'll be watching to see what you do!

Picture 018.jpg

hey there, so i just bought the same boat from a garage sale and i was wondering if anyone knew the model of this 1975 12 foot sea king. i am starting a remodel of my own coming up this next spring and any information helps. i am mostly curious about the model to register it. it seams pretty straight forward but due to the fact that i bough it from a garage sale i have create a bill of sale and the website that i was looking it up on just said to have as much info as possible. thanks everyone

WELCOME BigFish !! this is a nice place to drop your anchor.

you will find that photos will help the gallery help you.
registration nightmares vary from state to state. Texas and Florida in particular.
just do your homework prior to going to the tag office so you only have to make one trip.

hey this is simo just posted pics of my 1960 sea king it looks to be the same boat i started with they are well built good luck with your restore

Latest posts