LUND WC16 MODIFIED FOR TROUT FISHING AND CRABBING

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
clarkbre

Post by clarkbre » 21 May 2010, 17:10

I just thought I’d start this thread to share what I’ve done to my boat. I live near Seattle, WA so I fish freshwater and crab saltwater. The main idea throughout all modification has been clean and efficient usage. That meant building storage compartments, cleaning up wiring, and clearing the decks. Here are some of my mods:

My boat sitting on the lake shore. It’s a Lund WC16 powered by a 15hp Suzuki 2 stroke.

The first addition was to build a front deck. I did this for storage underneath and a flat deck to setting a cooler out of the way or laying in the sun. The hatch is fairly level with the deck surface and the whole thing is strong enough to walk on.

Also in this storage area, I mounted the battery and onboard charger. The only thing above deck is the 3 prong plug to charge the battery. The battery and charger are not in the pic but mounted in front of the bench seat.

This is the underside of the deck. In order to make it strong but light, I used angled aluminum. There’s almost no flex in the deck and the storage space underneath is huge. The aluminum also helps support the hatch.

During a crabbing outing, I got really annoyed with the fuel tank sitting on the floor of the boat. It was taking up valuable floor space for 4 crab pots, a bucket, and our feet. So here was my solution. I removed just enough foam to allow the fuel tank to sit inside the middle bench seat. I used a piano hinge on the seat. This has really cleaned up the floor of the boat.

I used the port side rear seat for electronic items. To run the wires from the front of the boat, I used ¾” PVC pipe for conduit. The pipe fits under the seat for a no-show wire system. On top of the seat I mounted a Humminbird depth sounder and a RAM mount for my Garmin GPS. On the side of the seat I installed a 4 switch panel that runs the depth sounder and the bilge pump you can see mounted on the left. I also added a plug for my trolling motor so I didn't have to use alligator clips on a battery.

And, probably the best mod I’ve made to the trailer was adding these guide-ons. I don’t know what I’d do without them while retrieving the boat. In windy conditions or for just plain easy centering, these are a must have.
2000 Lund WC16, 1997 Suzuki DT15C
My Build Thread: http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=13889

RazorBaits
Jim-Iowa

Post by Jim-Iowa » 21 May 2010, 23:22

A Very Nice well tought out Conversion! Being about 1000 miles from the nearest Salt Water, I find it very interesting to see how you set things up.

clarkbre

Post by clarkbre » 21 May 2010, 23:49

Jim-Iowa wrote:A Very Nice well tought out Conversion! Being about 1000 miles from the nearest Salt Water, I find it very interesting to see how you set things up.

Interesting for sure. I've thought about installing carpeted floors but I really need to be able to still hose the entire boat out. I think my next step will be rhino lining the floor for better traction.
2000 Lund WC16, 1997 Suzuki DT15C
My Build Thread: http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=13889

wolfmjc

Post by wolfmjc » 22 May 2010, 00:01

nice and clean, good job on the hatch and fuel tank... :)

cavman138

Post by cavman138 » 23 May 2010, 14:27

nice looking job.
My work in progress:
My PolarKraft 1648 Mod!

WaHooWa
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

bikerider

Post by bikerider » 15 Nov 2018, 15:32

I really like the front deck. Can you post pictures of what it looks like below the plywood?
12 ft Starcraft
Setup on a budget for fishing
:fishing: