Lowe 1436 mod and resto FINISHED NEW PICS!!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
Thought I would get a thread started of my boat since I'm about to begin working on it. My trailer project is finally coming to an end with the exception of a few bolt on items I still need to purchase so its on to new things. This is a 1981 Lowe 1436. I bought it a few months ago on Craigslist. Hopefully get it stripped in the next few weeks and get the transon replaced so I can get it into a weld shop for a couple repairs. Heres a few pics of what I'm starting with. Oh, I called my thread Project Slab Assassin cause thats what I am leaning toward naming my boat when its complete unless I think of something really cool before I get done!!

Boat1.jpg

Boat2.jpg

Boat3.jpg

My little man loves to play in the boat. Cant wait till its done next spring and he can come fishing with me!!
Boat4.jpg

Heres a couple more pics. Can someone tell me the purpose of the wood on the back of the boat? Do I need to put that back on there when I replace the transom?

Boat5.jpg

Heres a pic of the contraption that is welded to the front. It serves its purpose but looks horrible. The welds look like bubble gum. If it dosnt cost too much I'll have the weld shop fab up a new one and weld it on when it goes in for repairs.

Boat6.jpg

With a name like Slab Assassin you'll probably scare the fish into the boat. The trailer looks nice and the boat will too when you're done with it.

Here's an unrelated question. That room you have the boat and trailer in can't be your garage because there's not enough crap in it. You can actually walk around and work on the boat there. Even f I had a garage it would never look like that. Impressive...most impressive.

Good luck on the boat and post pics.

Lol. We just moved into this house a month ago. It has soooooo much storage. I made it a point to only put the boat and tools in the garage.

looks like a good boat to build i have a yazoo that is a 1438 and its extremely stable with a deck on it but im eventually gonna redo the whole thing i didnt plan my last deck and i hate it its too short and i tried to put rhino lining on plywood bad mistake the first time i took it out the lining peeled off. Name the boat "ss master baiter " i think that would be a good attention getting name. oh and airplane stripper and a pressure washer does good for stripping the paint. the plywood on the back serves no purpose except making the boat look tacky just leave it off

bassjunkie said:
the plywood on the back serves no purpose except making the boat look tacky just leave it off

anyone else have anything to say about this? if this is true i wont put one back on my boat when the thompsons dries...

arkansasnative said:
bassjunkie wrote:
the plywood on the back serves no purpose except making the boat look tacky just leave it off

Not quite sure what BJ is talking about, but I like the rear deck on my boat, creates a place for my gas tank and a nice storage area.

he's talking about the piece of plywood bassblaster has on the backside of his transom... where the motor attaches. look at the 5th pic in this thread to see what im talking about

arkansasnative said:
he's talking about the piece of plywood bassblaster has on the backside of his transom

I'd definitely replace it, find a nice piece of oak, stain it a color of your choice and coat the piss out of it w/ polyurethane. Think it looks classy and timeless, a throwback to more simpler times, IMO.

Yeah.... the wood is a good idea to replace.... If it was useless and didn't protect your transom than why do some brand new jon's come off the show room floor with the wood in place? :wink:

As for using polyurathane....don't... instead coat the pi** out of it with spar urathane.

perchin said:
Yeah.... the wood is a good idea to replace.... If it was useless and didn't protect your transom than why do some brand new jon's come off the show room floor with the wood in place? :wink:

As for using polyurathane....don't... instead coat the pi** out of it with spar urathane.
Thanks. I couldnt tell if it was something that came on the boat originally or if it had been added later. I'll be replacing it. So its basically just to stiffen up the transom a little more then, huh?

As far as treating it, I see tons of good reviews here for the spar urethane so thats what I had planned to use for the transom.

I started to strip the paint yesterday. I spent about 2 hours on it and allready burned up a cup brush and all I got done was the gunwales. This is going to be a long process. I considered the airplane stripper but I cant help to think that that is just going to make a horrible mess. The wire wheel also is giving it a really nice sanded like finish for the primer to stick too.

Sorry, SPAR urethane. Also, you don't have to get down to bare metal to start with. You can just get all of the chipping and loose paint off and go from there. Just a suggestion to help with time.

Ictalurus said:
Sorry, SPAR urethane. Also, you don't have to get down to bare metal to start with. You can just get all of the chipping and loose paint off and go from there. Just a suggestion to help with time.
My wife says I have OCD. I like to think I'm just a perfectionist but I wont paint this boat till it is bare shiny aluminum. Thats just how I do everything. I know in my mind its not 100% necessary to get it all off but I still cant do it. It must all come off!!! I'm not too bad though, I'm not touching the inside cause it will all be hidden by carpet, lol.

Nice looking boat. "Slab Assassin" :twisted: - I love the name!

I think the plywood on the transom is to reinforce/stengthen it.

Same boat as mine! Check out my thread. I even had a similar contraption bolted to the front of mine, so that must have been a problem area with that model.

I replaced the plywood on the back because I feel it stiffens up the transom and protected the aluminum from the motor clamps. Mine is just treated with Thompsons, but I plan on painting it green to match the boat later on. The way it is bolted on, it can easily be replaced every few years if needed.

Thanks BC

Moose, I have been through your thread multiple times. It has become my reference everytime I have an idea. I refer to your build to see what you did and what may or may not work with my ideas!!

Oh yeah, I didn't realize you were the one asking about the gas tank. Glad my trials and errors could be of some help to you. :)

So, I got to work this morning and a buddy says hey come check out what I got done on my truck last night. (Hes rebuilding an old Kenworth) I walk into the other shop and there it sits with a freshly sandblasted frame.

I never knew we had a sandblaster and every one knows about my project and never mentioned it. Needless to say, I'm not messin with this wire wheel any more. Going to go blast it in the morning if the rain holds off long enough. Wish I had know about this when I did my trailer. Oh well, still excited about the time its gonna save me on the boat. Hes even giving me 300 pounds of sand that he has left over so its gonna be blasted for free. I'll post pics as soon as I get it done. Hopefully its not raining in the morning.

I thought the rain was gonna keep me from blasting today but it gave ma a long enough break to get it done. Hauled the boat over to the shop and flipped it over on the ground and started blasting. After I wrapped everything up, I flipped it over and realized I had missed a few spots. Nothing major just a few small spots that I will clean up with the wire wheel. I had planned on spending 20 plus hours wire wheeling this thing. I sand blasted it in about 15 minuutes. The same buddy who hooked me up with the blaster said his brother can probably do all my welding. Next step is to get that old transom wood out and get it replaced then off for a little welding then I'll start putin some color on it. Still a little cloudy on the paint scheme but I'm leaning toward a camo pattern. Heres a couple pics of it all blasted clean.

Boat7.jpg

Boat8.jpg

Latest posts