Project "Livin Large" (update July 19 - rocket launchers!)

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
BaitCaster

Project "Livin Large" (update July 19 - rocket launchers!)

Post by BaitCaster » 08 Jun 2010, 16:29

LL2.JPG
Attachments
IMG_1699.JPG
IMG_1795.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1828.JPG
IMG_1907.JPG
IMG_1910.JPG
IMG_1915.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG
IMG_1926.JPG
IMG_1929.JPG
Last edited by BaitCaster on 19 Jul 2011, 09:09, edited 13 times in total.
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=14160

RazorBaits
BaitCaster

Project "Livin Large"

Post by BaitCaster » 08 Jun 2010, 16:32

Here's the rubber interlocking floor I recently installed.
Attachments
floor2.JPG
floor.JPG
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=14160

Ictalurus

Project "Livin Large"

Post by Ictalurus » 08 Jun 2010, 16:49

Your boat looks great. Bet your itchin' to get that sportwin back from the mechanic. I read that you may be considering keeping your front deck low, I have done the same thing, allows for the option of having more people in the boat.

BaitCaster

Project "Livin Large"

Post by BaitCaster » 08 Jun 2010, 16:54

Ictalurus wrote:Your boat looks great. Bet your itchin' to get that sportwin back from the mechanic. I read that you may be considering keeping your front deck low, I have done the same thing, allows for the option of having more people in the boat.
Yes, I like the stability as is. I also have two kids and a deck might make it difficult to take them both out in the boat at the same time.

MikeA57

Project "Livin Large"

Post by MikeA57 » 09 Jun 2010, 13:42

I LOVE that motor!!! I grew up fishing out of a 14' Alumacraft V hull with an 18 hp one very similar to that. Great looking rig!!

Mike

huntinfool

Project "Livin Large"

Post by huntinfool » 09 Jun 2010, 13:47

Where did you get the floor from? I am looking at some other options for a floor.

That Robbie Guy

Project "Livin Large"

Post by That Robbie Guy » 09 Jun 2010, 14:54

Woah ... that motor ... so clean and purdy !

FishinFL

Project "Livin Large"

Post by FishinFL » 09 Jun 2010, 15:43

How is that seat mount holding up. Just wondering because I am (hopefully) starting my rear deck in the next fews days and I was thinking about putting one seat mount to drive with then one for the pedistal when I fish. You have seen the pictures of my post (1542 project) and I don't want to raise the rear deck just to a seat. I figure I can mount the pedistal seat mount in the frame over the gas tank area, kinda half in that frame and half on the bench, but the drive seat will have to be in the bench. Let me know, thanks. Your boat is looking good.
Why did I buy a brand new boat to be a project?? Tracker 1542 LW

BaitCaster

Project "Livin Large"

Post by BaitCaster » 09 Jun 2010, 17:35

huntinfool wrote:Where did you get the floor from? I am looking at some other options for a floor.
Home Depot

Loggerhead Mike

Project "Livin Large"

Post by Loggerhead Mike » 09 Jun 2010, 17:36

great job on that trailer!

BaitCaster

Project "Livin Large"

Post by BaitCaster » 09 Jun 2010, 17:38

FishinFL wrote:How is that seat mount holding up. Just wondering because I am (hopefully) starting my rear deck in the next fews days and I was thinking about putting one seat mount to drive with then one for the pedistal when I fish. You have seen the pictures of my post (1542 project) and I don't want to raise the rear deck just to a seat. I figure I can mount the pedistal seat mount in the frame over the gas tank area, kinda half in that frame and half on the bench, but the drive seat will have to be in the bench. Let me know, thanks. Your boat is looking good.
The seat mount is holding up fine for now. There is some play, i.e. wobble due to the thin aluminum on the seat. It is going to need some suuport eventually. I want to slide a piece of plywood inside the seat between the aluminum and the foam. I'm going to put a hatch in the bench like BobberBoy did on his Tracker. I figure when I do that I will slide some plywood under the seat to stiffen it up.

BaitCaster

Project "Livin Large" (updated June 11, 2010)

Post by BaitCaster » 11 Jun 2010, 09:41

I am now toying with ideas for mounting my transom mount trolling motor on the bow of my boat. I know how to turn the head around. However, I am not sure what the best way is to mount it. I can fit the motor on the bow (as per the pictures below) but there are obviously some angles and gaps that need to be dealt with to secure the motor safely. I was thinking the simplest thing to do would be to cut two angled wooden blocks to fit the gaps on the inside and outside of the bow and simply bolt them together through the hull.

Does anyone have any better ideas or advice?

Cheers,
BC
Attachments
boa mount 1.JPG
Bow Mount 2.JPG
Bow Mount 3.JPG
Bow Mount 4.JPG
Bow Mount 5.JPG

KMixson

Post by KMixson » 11 Jun 2010, 14:44

BaitCaster wrote:I am now toying with ideas for mounting my transom mount trolling motor on the bow of my boat. I know how to turn the head around. However, I am not sure what the best way is to mount it. I can fit the motor on the bow (as per the pictures below) but there are obviously some angles and gaps that need to be dealt with to secure the motor safely. I was thinking the simplest thing to do would be to cut two angled wooden blocks to fit the gaps on the inside and outside of the bow and simply bolt them together through the hull.

Does anyone have any better ideas or advice?

Cheers,
BC

Can you screw the fastening clamps out much farther than they are now? From the pictures it looks like you have them backed out almost as far as they will go. I might would drill a hole halfway into the inner wooden blocks you mount so the clamp screw would go below the gunwale into the wooden block. You will have to cut off the clamp feet and install a washer in the bottom of the hole you drill for the clamp screw to act as a footing for the screw. If you do cut the feet off you can cut the screw to a length that is better suited to keep the clamp screw tightening handles out of your way. If the trolling motor is still under warranty do not cut the feet off. Someone else may have a better suggestion.

TheRookieFD

Post by TheRookieFD » 11 Jun 2010, 15:22

I would recomend an "L" shaped board design on the front to mount the trolling motor to a piece of wood that is straight up and down. I have seen a few of these on these message boards. I will try and locate the exact post for ya.

They also sell a really neat attachment for the front handle on the boat to mount a transome trolling motor to. Search on Cabelas web site for Jon Boat Trolling Motor Bracket. It is pretty cool and not too expensive.

BaitCaster

Project "Livin Large" (updated June 14, 2010)

Post by BaitCaster » 14 Jun 2010, 09:20

After some more thought on the bow mount for the trolling motor I realized that the simplest solution is usually the best one. So I cut two 12 inch lengths of 2x 4 and ripped them down to the 3 inch width of the bow lip. I glued them together and bolted them to the bow with 1/2 inch hex bolts. I treated the wood with Thompson's water seal and will probably paint it black or green, if I can find a matching colour.

Now I have the option of running the trolling motor on the bow or on the stern. So far it seems pretty solid, but we will see how it performs on the water. The next thing I am going to have to do is run an extension wire from my battery (in the stern) to the motor in the bow. I don't imagine there is any magic to that.
Attachments
IMG_1971.JPG
IMG_1970.JPG
IMG_1969.JPG
IMG_1968.JPG
IMG_1967.JPG
IMG_1966.JPG
IMG_1965.JPG