Alumacraft 1448MV - Catfish, Casting & Bowfishing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Reaction score
Greetings to all on tinboats.net. This site has been invaluable. If you're looking for ideas, how-to, FAQs, dos & don'ts....the buck stops with the guys on this site.

I've been cruising the site for a few weeks now after buying a '95 Alumacraft 1448MV from my landlord. The boat is in immaculate condition as is the galvanized trailer. The boat belonged to her husband who she says only used it a handful of times duck hunting. I have watched the boat sit unused under her shed for at least 8 years now. She had a good coat of dust on her but no dings, dents or heavy scratches...not even a water mark on the hull from the brown water around here.

Front Deck (layout with bowfishing in mind)
- Raise and extend front deck (All Aluminum)
- Front deck will have custom battery box for TM battery with Tempress hatch (13 x 17 outside)
- 13 X 30 Tempress Dry storage
- 13 x 23 Tempress hatch on bulk head for access/storage underneath deck.
- Custom trolling motor bracket for my new MotorGuide Varimax 55 Bow Mount (Hand Control)
- Bow navigation lights & anchor cleat on center
- Mount for pedestal seat
- Paint to match

2 Custom Rod Holder Racks
-I want to catfish it off the back (not the side like most jons). I think it's wide enough for it, but it's going to take some ingenuity since I'll have a tiller and limited space. Had to come up with something that can handle a hog and be easliy stowed and out for the way when not in use. I've drawn up so rotating rod holder racks that look slick on paper. I'll draw something up on the computer and post it.

Electrical
- I'll be wiring navigation/anchor lights, water proof black lights on the outside of the transom (lights up the florescent line), and fish finder.
- Trolling Motor plug and breaker
- Switch box

Seats
- Mounting 2 Wise Big Man Camo seats with Arm Rests (already purchased and they are super bada$$!) on the middle seat for catfishing.
- Leaning post on the front for bowfishing (or casting when the White Bass run)

Motor
- 2011 Yamaha 25hp 4 Stroke (Tiller)

Trailer
- Repack or replace barrings
- Replace 8in tires with 12in

Thinking About....
-Converting middle seat into livewell
- Aluminum floor in back between middle & rear seat
- Sponsons on back
- Repaint the whole thing.....heh...maybe...
- Camo paint scheme/stenciling

Now....what to call her?????
1448mv.jpg

factory_deck.jpg

- Jonah "Bug"
RiverBottomOutdoors.com

looks familiar, welcome to the site. My '92 came with the livewell in the middle seat. Looked like a very simple mod during the assy. They set the box and welded the drain hole in and then placed the seat frame over it, rough cut the top of the seat out and put a simple side mounted hinged cover.

You need to get that thing wet and see what you like / dislike.

Jamie

I sure do, Jamie. I read your entire mod post....dude...one word...AWESOME. I wish I had a fraction of your know-how.

Front Deck Update
- Dropped her off to the aluminum fab shop to have the front deck fabbed and installed. Had to play around with the layout to balance ergonomics and fit. I'll be able to open all hatches with the TM stowed. That's a small victory for me since the TM has a hand control head (that I don't want hanging over the side), a 50" shaft and had to be offset to the right of center since I'm a right handed shooter (holds bow in left hand). :beer: Looking forward to picking it up...maybe EOW...and post some pics.

Then I'll run the wires to TM and bow lights....maybe pick up some etch primer. (Please post your painting advice, new deck will be bare aluminum...ideas for non-skid.)

...Squirreling money away for the motor purchase 2011 25hp Yammi 4stroke (about $3500)....I need to follow Jamie's advice and get her wet ASAP!!!

Trailer Update
- Pulled the boat around and the hubs didn't heat up...good sign...I don't think I'll need to replace the barrings, just repack them.
- Old 8" tires don't leak...but need to be replaced anyhow. Want to go to 12" tires.
- Only had to replace 1 bulb in the trailer lights!!! They worked like a champ!!! Another victory!!! :beer:
- Added a tongue jack and tossed the cinder block!
- Replaced the safety chain because it was too short

I know....pictures, pictures, pictures...I'm a noob!!! I'll do better!!!!

On the trailer, I don't know where you launch at but the extra tire height may keep the boat out of the water until you run out of ramp. Been there.

Should be an interesting bowfishing platform for one. It's a bit narrow for two guys standing casting and moving in different directions at the same time. On mine the rear is actually wider, more comfortable / stable to stand at.

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
On the trailer, I don't know where you launch at but the extra tire height may keep the boat out of the water until you run out of ramp. Been there.

Should be an interesting bowfishing platform for one. It's a bit narrow for two guys standing casting and moving in different directions at the same time. On mine the rear is actually wider, more comfortable / stable to stand at.

Jamie

See....that's why I come here. Didn't even think of the ramp issue.... The deck won't be one of those raised decks. It will be just under the rail. I've shot plenty of fish from a canoe...I don't see the real need for one of those high-rise decks.

I think she'll do fine with two people on the front bowfishing. I bowfished narrower boats with two on the front. Plus...me and my brother have a little Cherokee blood in us...we both stand up in a canoe while bowfishing. Still...I've thought about adding a float to my bow just in case it gets dropped.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Str8eningTheCurves?feature=mhum#p/u/3/p-qX4odzD2U

Jonah "Bug"
RiverBottomOutdoors.com

SCHWEEEEETTT!!!!!! Fab shop just called!! The deck is done with the exception of the TM plug!!! I'm like a kid on XMAS Eve!!!! Can't wait to get off work and check it out....course I'll upload some pics of it. \:D/

MAN ALIVE!!! The Front Deck is effin' AAAAWWEEESSSOOOMMEEE!!!! Turned out almost exactly like I drew it up! I couldn't be more happy with it. \:D/ :beer: \:D/ :-D

Can't say enough good things about Chris Lopez over at ASW Aluminum (https://aswaluminumproducts.com/index.html) Website doesn't do him justice!!!

Front Deck
Look Ma!!! No wood or carpet!!!
- All Aluminum including battery box. I didn't want wood or carpet in the boat. The advantages of aluminum vs wood/carpet out weighed the price difference for me. That price includes labor since I can't weld it. Took some extra squirreling and delayed other purchases.
- All Hatches open with motor stowed!!!!! :beer:
- All Hatches are Tempress brand, Dark Grey color (**** if I didn't find some OD ones after I bought these!!!)
---Access Hatch: 13" x 23"
---Dry Storage: 13" x 30" (Tempress dry storage container also)
---Battery Box Hatch: 13" x 17"
- Custom TM bracket. Check the pictures out on this thing. Attention to detail is awesome. You won't find better welds. Screwed to deck so that it can be removed if absolutely necessary.

Trolling Motor
- MotorGuide Varimax V55 Bow Mount Hand Control (12V)
---50" Shaft
---Offset to right because I'm a right handed shooter. (but cast with right hand too...we'll see how I like it when I'm casting)

Deck View#1
deck1.jpg

Deck View#2
deck3.jpg

Deck View#3
deck2.jpg

Access hatch under bow. Lots and lots of storage under there.
deck5.jpg

Dry Storage Box
deck6.jpg

Batter Box....opens with TM stowed.
deck7.jpg

Trolling Motor Mount & Anchor Cleat, Bow Light....getting ready to mount TM plug.
deck8.jpg

Another view of the TM mount.
deck9.jpg

Another view of the TM mount.
deck10.jpg

ASW Aluminum.....now that's a quality weld.
deck11.jpg

Next Steps
- Replace Pos/Neg terminal connectors on TM wire with Male TM plug
- Extend Female TM plug wires, fish to front battery box, install terminal connectors.
- Install Battery Tray and Breaker for TM
- Make decision on painting entire boat or just front deck.

That front deck is sweet. :LOL2: :LOL2:
Wish I had a fab shop close by that didn't want to gouge prices so bad.

JMar650 said:

Ha, yeah, same here...I can't afford that.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
1448mv.jpg

RiverBottomOutdoors.com

Nice catch!
Funny how these mv1448 from different manufactures look very similar, guess it is tough to improve on perfection
I love mine.

2715293870051565062S600x600Q85.jpg

Wow, that deck's up there. Are you going to use a butt seat for bow fishing? Curious why the post is so far forward.

Carpet or antiskid?

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Wow, that deck's up there. Are you going to use a butt seat for bow fishing? Curious why the post is so far forward.

Carpet or antiskid?

Jamie

Yea...butt seat on the front. Don't do much sitting when I bowfish or cast. Trying to decide on the best non-skid route...don't want some type of rubber product or bedliner that won't hold up...and I want something light. Was thinking about a little sand sprinkled on wet paint...then a top coat of paint over it. Even if it wears off it would be easy to mend. Got any good ideas on the non-skid?

Decks not much higher that the factory deck. I measured it when I first started planning it...I want to say 4".

The sand in the paint doesn't work so well, get's slippery when wet, maybe some heavy grit or tiny gravel in thick paint.

Perhaps just some nonskid stickers like you put on stair treads. if they start to slip in the sun just replace them. The bed liner may work well also if you can rough up the metal enough for it to adhere...

Jamie

eddyandrehab said:
JMar650 said:

Ha, yeah, same here...I can't afford that.

I couldn't either!!!! Had to pinch and save to pay for what I wanted. The price of the deck pushed back the purchase (and therefore progress) of other pieces of the pie. More money now.....or llots of bitching "I shoulda..." later?????? :)

I hope I made the right call.....

ditchen said:
Nice catch!
Funny how these mv1448 from different manufactures look very similar, guess it is tough to improve on perfection
I love mine.

You're making me rethink the console or tiller!!! I decided against a console to save money, weight and room..... Now, I have to keep reassuring myself that I made the right decision!!!!! Thanks alot!!! ;-)

Yesterday, I swung by Advanced Auto and picked up 3 rattle cans of self-etching primer (about $6 a piece). Then swung by Lowe's and picked up some painter's tape and shrink wrap.

I clipped off the OEM terminal connectors on the TM and replaced with a plug from Bass Pro. The plug came with butt splices pre-wrapped in waterproofing heat shrink. I put a put a piece of heat shrink of the splices to clean it up.

Decided against unscrewing the hatches, cleat, etc and instead will tape them all for painting. I'm sure that I could unscrew everything but I don't won't to reduce the holding power of the screws any and with all the screws, I can tape it just as fast.

I worked up some drawings for my rod holders. Hopefully, the drawings explain how they work.

Primer
selfetchprime.jpg

Starting the tape job
tape.jpg

TM Plug
tmplugmale.jpg

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
You're making me rethink the console or tiller!!! I decided against a console to save money, weight and room..... Now, I have to keep reassuring myself that I made the right decision!!!!! Thanks alot!!! ;-)

not going back to a tiller, though I did like the console not being there at times.

My decision to add remote steer is when I came across a 81 smoker craft that a tree fell on for next to nothing. Was able to strip everything off of it needed for the conversion.