1975 Lowe 14LittleV Restore/Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolHand

Reaction score
I thought I would start a thread for my boat project. Lots of inspiration and info on the site here.

I've been working on the boat for the last few weeks. It's never been titled or registered so my first plan was to do a restore on it and ensure that I can get it properly registered before I go further. Making things difficult I am on a strict budget so I have to pace myself.

So far I've gotten the restore pretty much done. I have taken out some dents, cleaned the hull, steelflex painted the entire outside. I replaced the transom completely as the old one was rotted through. There was pitting and damage under the old transom. I repaired that and then painted over it with steelflex before I riveted the new transom back on.

I'm waiting on the registration now and going on vacation but when I get back I intend to try to buy some heavier aluminum. I have some lightweight stuff but it's not as think as I want. My plans so far are pretty simple. I want to cut the middle seat and put in a low floor between the back and the front seat. I will add lights and some sort of storage up front. I'll put in two seats (one front and one rear). I might set up two bases in the back...not sure I can afford it yet. Then the one thing that I've been struggling with...I really like the idea of leaving the two sides of the middle seat and strengthening it across the bottom. Then I'd like to fabricate a removable plank so I can have a middle seat with functional oars should I want or need it (not to mention it would look cool). Any thoughts? I set up a photobucket acct so I can share. Lots of pics.

What I started with:
IMG_20100923_192826.jpg

IMG_20100923_192747.jpg

IMG_20100923_192734.jpg

IMG_20100923_193007.jpg

Demo and Cleaning:
IMG_20101009_234447.jpg

IMG_20101010_002908.jpg

IMG_20101009_234417.jpg

IMG_20101024_203111.jpg

IMG_20101017_182303.jpg

IMG_20101017_182234.jpg

Restoration and new parts:
IMG_20101017_182111.jpg

IMG_20101031_205955.jpg

IMG_20101107_002345.jpg

IMG_20101107_135726.jpg

IMG_20101107_135807.jpg

IMG_20101107_154938.jpg

I hope to update this thread more soon but have to buy more parts and materials first so there may be a little delay.

Coolhand,

If you didn't buy a motor with your tin, I'd grab that 6HP Evinrude Sgt Stiglitz has. Really nice looking motor.

DaveInGA said:
Coolhand,

If you didn't buy a motor with your tin, I'd grab that 6HP Evinrude Sgt Stiglitz has. Really nice looking motor.
Thanks Dave but actually I'm all set. I got an old 1966 Johnson 9.5 HP. It runs pretty good and seems to have been taken care of. I might clean up or paint the cover so it looks a little nicer but that's about it.

IMG_20101003_233348.jpg

Sgt. Stiglitz said:
Here is my little 14 ft V-hull...........
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15880

Since upgraded to a Nissan 8 HP. It's blue and gray and matches the boat! =D>

I actually read through your build before. Thanks for the link though it reminded me of a few options. Your V is a bit deeper than mine. My boat is basically a flat bottom curved to a V at the front. I'll probably leave my front and rear seats intact but cut the middle. I really like the way you attached your framing. I plan to use aluminum as well and rivet it. Mine will be lower but looking at yours gives me some ideas. I think I have some funding on the way so maybe I can get some materials and work on more pictures to post. :)

Woohoo...got my inspection today by the DNR. Need that here to register a boat that has no papers. He said I am good to go and will get my official info in 14 days. He even complimented my work.

So now that I am registered I can get some more aluminum and get to work on a floor. Wanted to make sure I had my numbers before putting too much work in.

Been a while since I've posted. Still working on this. Just been getting parts together and with the budget it's a little slow. The recent good news though is that I scored a trailer! It needs a little work but it's in pretty good shape and I got it for $150

IMG_20110217_092606.jpg

I got the coupler cut off it as it was old and damaged. Plan to put a new one on tomorrow. Also got some safety chains as there were none and I won't run without them(not to mention it's illegal in most places). Going to have to move the winch and the bow stop and put new bunks on in a better position. The lights work but I got a new wiring kit because they are pretty mangled. New wheels and a bearing check are in order as well. Got to get it registered and I should be in business. :)

Making progress. The trailer is nearly done. I need to carpet the bunks still. List of modifications include, new tires and wheels, new bearings, new coupler, new safety chains, new wiring and a new winch. I also modified the winch mount and hull stop, moved the lights further back, fabricated the bunk mounts and a license plate mount. I think it's road worthy now.

As for the boat it has been checked for leaks now and I got vinyl numbers applied. Now for the last big stage...framing, flooring and seats. It will probably be a couple weeks before I get to it though. Brewing more beer next weekend first. Got to have priorities. :D

Here is the latest pic:

IMG_20110403_194244.jpg

I have made major progress. I ordered a bunch of 1 inch aluminum tubing from a local shop. Framed out two floor supports, a box up front for the battery and a small box/partial deck in the back corner for a switch panel and light post support. I used all 6061 1/8" wall tubing so it's pretty strong. I paneled over that with 3mm aluminum composite that I scored from a local sign shop for $40. I used lots of rivets to attach everything except the seat posts. Those I mounted with stainless bolts. I picked up the lowes marine type carpet and went the easy route with contact cement and it went in really nicely. Got the seats mounted last night. Wires are all in place through flex tubing I ran under the floor. I added a little paint on the inside walls to give it a little color and a unique look. Lots of pictures. Let me know what you think.

Some of the tubing and layout:
IMG_20110625_174441.jpg

Switch box:
IMG_20110626_225634.jpg

Front supports:
IMG_20110626_225650.jpg

Paint:
IMG_20110629_213005.jpg

Composite flooring:
IMG_20110629_212939.jpg

Finished with seats and carpet:
IMG_20110701_023807.jpg

Thanks! As for the floor tubing...I made brackets out of 1 1/2 inch aluminum angle and used those to rivet the whole structure to the ribs of the boat. They didn't really have to bear the load. They just hold the parts in place. The tubes on either side really carry the load like a ladder.

I actually got more done tonight. I built out a bracket to support the battery box. Got all the wiring done. Mounted my switch plate, bow and stern lights, bilge pump, dc outlet, and a few other accessories. Tomorrow I am putting new carpet on my trailer bunks and then I'm going fishing. :)

Getting ready to go fishing and I took some more pics in the daylight. I thought I would share. I'm pretty happy with my work. I met my goals of keeping it light keeping the floor low for stability in a boat that isn't as wide as some, and making it functional. The only thing I planned to do initially that I didn't do is cut the middle seat. The more I looked at it the more apparent it was that in this boat that seat was a structural component. I probably could have engineered some tubing in place of the seat to handle a livewell or something but that is a future project after I see how it handles at the current weight. The mid seat is low anyway so it isn't really bothersome for me. Here are the pics...

Trailer bunks and paint done
IMG_20110702_170009.jpg

Up on the trailer
IMG_20110702_170908.jpg

Another view
IMG_20110702_170922.jpg

Whole package with the motor
IMG_20110702_171151.jpg

Maybe I'll add some action shots of it on the water soon. Glad to be done for now.