14' V-Hull Starcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassaholic

Reaction score
Just wanna say hey to everyone and thanks for takeing the time to stop by. Im John Im 26 and from Brandon Florida. Im gonna be modifying the boat I got from my grandfather years ago.Any hints or tips will be are welcomed and appreciated. Ill be putting in the floor and front deck this weekend so come back and take a look.

Attachments

• IMAG0093.JPG
    IMAG0093.JPG
    888 KB · Views: 3,762
  • IMAG0100.JPG
    IMAG0100.JPG
    748.9 KB · Views: 3,762
Looking to re-paint the outside, bottom, and inside of boat. Any suggestions on types of paint to use? Was also wondering if anyone uses a clear coat on their boats? What would be the best primer to use? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Hi, John. Welcome aboard.

Nice project. Being a gift from Grandpa, that makes it extra special. Be sure to check out the
mod threads. Lots of great ideas in there too. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3156

Hang on to that one. Those are solid boats and it has history for you.
I hated to sell mine.

Ive looked at almost all of them but its almost to much to soak up at once. Besides everybody has their own ways of doing things. I have a basic idea of what I want and everybody on here seems to know their stuff pretty good so I figured I would post my work and take any help I can get in the process. Thanks for the post.

PartsMan said:
Hang on to that one. Those are solid boats and it has history for you.
I hated to sell mine.

Yeah alot of history for me with this boat. My grandfather would take me fishing when I was a kid. When he died it was what he left to me. So dont worry this boat will never be sold only improved. Thanks for the post

The copper used to treat the wood reacts with the aluminum and will cause pitting of the aluminum.

Bass, let me encourage you - you have a very special boat there, and very worthy of improvements you can make on it. You will have many more years of good use from that one! Keep researching, do your homework on it, and have a go! Also, keep us posted with photos...

Oh, and how much did that critter weigh in your avatar? Nice Florida bass there!

Bassaholic said:
Ive looked at almost all of them but its almost to much to soak up at once. Besides everybody has their own ways of doing things. I have a basic idea of what I want and everybody on here seems to know their stuff pretty good so I figured I would post my work and take any help I can get in the process. Thanks for the post.

I've seen a lot of great mods here, but I'm not very handy with wood working. Fortunately, my tin came with a flat floor and open deck. Also, since I like to fish bare foot sometimes, the carpet under foot is nice.

SDC12192.jpg

DuraCraft said:
Bass, let me encourage you - you have a very special boat there, and very worthy of improvements you can make on it. You will have many more years of good use from that one! Keep researching, do your homework on it, and have a go! Also, keep us posted with photos...

Oh, and how much did that critter weigh in your avatar? Nice Florida bass there!

Wish I knew. Didnt have the scale on the boat that day.

Well heading to Lowes tomorrow to get my plywood for the floor and the deck, and fishing Sunday on the river. Hope to send pics of the boat starting to be decked and bass off the river.

MDFisherman57 said:
Your lucky your in florida where it is much warmer. Im sick of the freezing temperatures and not ability to fish.
I was thinking the same thing, lol. You Florida boys don't get cabin fever down there do you?
:)

Good luck with the build. I just recently started mine. I had bought a 4x8' piece of pressure treated plywood before I found this forum. I took it back for a non-PT slab and some spar urethane. What are you going to paint the inside of your boat with?

HOUSE said:
MDFisherman57 said:
Your lucky your in florida where it is much warmer. Im sick of the freezing temperatures and not ability to fish.
I was thinking the same thing, lol. You Florida boys don't get cabin fever down there do you?
:)

Good luck with the build. I just recently started mine. I had bought a 4x8' piece of pressure treated plywood before I found this forum. I took it back for a non-PT slab and some spar urethane. What are you going to paint the inside of your boat with?

Im gonna prime the whole boat with zinc chromate and then paint the inside and out with Duralux green paint, and im gonna stencil and camo the outside except for the botom and camo the inside.

Didnt get much done this weekend to the boat. Bought the plywood and finished the ribs for the floor. On a lighter note we put 10 Largemouths in the boat today on the river.

I found a place for decent stencils for free, just have to cut them out yourself which is very time consuming. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get good stencils for camo? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Latest posts