Sears 12ft Jon Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiolunker

Reaction score
First timer to the site and I have to say this place has been a great inspiration. I recently received a 12ft Jon for Christmas which was pretty sweet; however, she definitely needed some TLC. I've already picked up some post style mounts and folding seats and a few other odds and ends. Plan to make a deck for a foot control troller and deck the flooring. Also, I've read the quite a few posts about Steelflex and have to say that stuff seems like the way I'm headed.

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 14,970
Here's where it stands after day one. Got the front seat cut out and started wire wheeling the old paint, fiberglass resin, silicone and plethora of other non-sense on the hull. Really like what RBufford did with his 12 footer so I'm borrowing a couple of his ideas.

Attachments

• day1.jpg
    day1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 14,941
Day 2 in the books. I started with the angle grinder on the bottom, but ran out of abrasive discs. Had to switch gears and work on something else. The trailer is all put together with new carpet on the runners and a new winch. I also came up with a stopper to keep the winch from hitting the boat if i were to make a quick stop. Nothing fancy, but hopefully it will be functional. Also, I used the metal from the seat I removed and cut out some cover pieces for the sides. Pics below are a rough mock up, they need a little more forming but should rivet on nice. I think I'm going to try and put some cup holders from bass pro in there - 1 to throw pliers etc. in and the other for a tasty beverage. I think I should have room to mount some rod holders there as well.

I removed the transom boards because they were pretty whipped (see pics below). Half the bolts just snapped off as soon as I cranked on them. Definitely going stainless for the replacement. Speaking of which, does any one have any good suggestions on how to make a nice motor support on the transom? The metal is really thin and I'd like to make something that is strong enough to have no problems with a 5 -7.5 hp motor. I'll probably build up with wood and some spar urethane, but I'm open to suggestion.

Well it's back to the work week, so I probably won't get to touch again until next weekend. Hopefully I make some good progress and have more pics to come.

Attachments

• day2.jpg
    day2.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 14,907
  • day2a.jpg
    day2a.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 14,907
  • day2d.jpg
    day2d.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 14,907
  • day2e.jpg
    day2e.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 14,907
  • day2b.jpg
    day2b.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 14,907
  • day2c.jpg
    day2c.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 14,907
Managed to pick up a few more abrasive wheels on the way home and squeeze in an hours worth of work. Got the bottom and front all ground down. Weather forecast doesn't look so hot (it's Ohio....go figure) probably going to snow again Thursday, so I doubt I'll get anything else done the next couple days. Hopefully we will get another run of nice weather again soon and I'll finish up all the paint removal, so I can get any holes plugged up and get it ready for Steelflex.

Couple of questions if anyone can help me out:
1. Does anyone have any pics of the Steelflex in blue? I'm in between gray or blue, but I've only seen pics of the gray.
2. I've seen people mount metal brackets to the cross members and run 2x2 for the decking supports. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere here that there is a certain type of bracket material that isn't good to use with aluminum. I'm trying not to make a rookie mistake, so if someone can steer me in the right direction I would appreciate it.
3. Same question, but with the wood. I'm supposed to go non-treated right? Then just finish with a couple good coats of spar urethane. I've got a couple decent size pieces of 3/4 particle board from another project, but I don't know if I'm better off picking up a few sheets of something better. My gut tells me yes, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for your help and hopefully some more progress pics to come soon.

Attachments

• day 3.jpg
    day 3.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 14,843
Not much to update, but managed to squeeze in a little work. Got the transom ground down to the metal. Bad news is it turns out the metal around the drain hole was all putty. I'll have to build it back up before I paint.

Attachments

• day 4a.jpg
    day 4a.jpg
    558.1 KB · Views: 14,774
  • day 4.jpg
    day 4.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 14,774
Hey I remember when mine used to look like that! haha

Gotta love those little light weight jon boats

Yeah, there's really not much too them. Hopefully it will feel solid once it's all put together.

Called Fasco yesterday to order some Steelflex. Great people to deal with. Awesome customer service.

I've got the same boat and did a similar project last year. I didnt cut the front seat, but I did put a floor in the front. I mounted a board on the top of bow rails to mount the TM and a graph, put the floor in the front for the TM pedal and mounted carped boards to both seats so I could mount pedestal seats. I put 10" pedestals in and they work great to fish out of. Very stable while fishing, not the least bit tippy. I also put a floor in the center...works out great. It's a fun little boat, works great. I'll get some pics of mine soon... Good luck, great project. Looks like your doing a great job. I like that cut front seat.

JFDBasser said:
I've got the same boat and did a similar project last year. I didnt cut the front seat, but I did put a floor in the front. I mounted a board on the top of bow rails to mount the TM and a graph, put the floor in the front for the TM pedal and mounted carped boards to both seats so I could mount pedestal seats. I put 10" pedestals in and they work great to fish out of. Very stable while fishing, not the least bit tippy. I also put a floor in the center...works out great. It's a fun little boat, works great. I'll get some pics of mine soon... Good luck, great project. Looks like your doing a great job. I like that cut front seat.

Thanks for the comment. Let me know when you get some pics up of your boat. Always looking for inspiration.

I've got a couple framing questions I'm looking for help with. I've posted them on a couple forums on tinboats and figured I would put it up here as well and to see if anyone can point me straight. I'd like to use Simpson Strong Tie 2x2 brackets to fasten directly to my cross members to build a deck; however, I know theses framing brackets are galvanized. My question is is there anything I can coat/paint the brackets with to avoid galvanized on aluminum problems? Also, my entire boat will be Steelflexed so there will be minimal direct contact with the aluminum. Last question is if there is nothing I can do to avoid problems with the galvanized brackets, does anyone know where I can get them in stainless?

Good day today, saw the Indians get their 1st win of the season (and turn a triple play!) and got some work done on the boat. Finished up grinding the outside of the boat. Going to start the inside the next nice day we get. Cut out the holes for the cup holders which turned out pretty good. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the space beside them yet. Debating between putting a tray for lures, etc or if I should mount rod holders there. I also picked up a boat cover from Gander so once I get the decking in it doesn't get destroyed by Ohio weather.

Note to all the newbies out there: When using a grinder with a wire wheel WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR! When those wheels start to go wires shoot out like little spears. I've gotten them stuck in just about every part of my person at this point and it sucks.

Attachments

• day 5.jpg
    day 5.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 14,355
  • day 5a.jpg
    day 5a.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 14,355
  • Day 5b.jpg
    Day 5b.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 14,355
  • day 5c.jpg
    day 5c.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 14,355
I can second you on the wire wheel shrapnel....you will be finding that in coats skin hair etc. for days. That cover is from gander mountain eh? How much did that cost ya if ya don't mind my asking.

The cover was just under $40. A little pricey, but it seems to be decent quality and fits like a glove.

ohiolunker said:
Good day today, saw the Indians get their 1st win of the season (and turn a triple play!) and got some work done on the boat. Finished up grinding the outside of the boat. Going to start the inside the next nice day we get. Cut out the holes for the cup holders which turned out pretty good. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of the space beside them yet. Debating between putting a tray for lures, etc or if I should mount rod holders there. I also picked up a boat cover from Gander so once I get the decking in it doesn't get destroyed by Ohio weather.

Note to all the newbies out there: When using a die grinder with a wire wheel WEAR PROTECTIVE GEAR! When those wheels start to go wires shoot out like little spears. I've gotten them stuck in just about every part of my person at this point and it sucks.

The Tribe looked better today, we were at the game yesterday, it was a long cold day.

Boat progress is looking good.

Weather is finally getting nice, so I was able to get some work done on the boat. Grinding is finished!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Didn't go as crazy on the inside because it's more for aesthetics which doesn't put fish in the boat. I'll go over everything with some sand paper one last time before the Steelflex goes on. Started patching the holes and worn spots with some JB. Couldn't find stainless or aluminum brackets anywhere, so I picked up some aluminum angle and made my own. Fab'd up some brackets to connect 2x2's to the cross members and then made some L's to connect 2x2's to the bench seats that are getting covered. I picked up a whole box of strong-ties 2x2 connects which i'll use to connect wood to wood b/c they are galvanized. It will be great if the nice weather holds out because I'll be able to get more done, but in the same, each nice day is a day I should be out on the lake!

Attachments

• day 6c.jpg
    day 6c.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 2,997
  • day 6b.jpg
    day 6b.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 2,997
  • day 6a.jpg
    day 6a.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,997
  • day 6.jpg
    day 6.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,997
cactusjack said:
its looking good
Thanks. It seems like every time I have a few minutes to work on the boat it's been raining. Hopefully the weather will sort out and I can get some more progress pics up.

Latest posts