58' Lonestar King Commander 14'5" - Restoration & Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58KingCommander

Reaction score
Dear Tin Boats and all supporting members. THANK YOU. The wealth of information has driven me to work on my own tin boat. My best friend and I purchased a 1958 Lonestar for $1275. The guy wanted 1450 and we were able to talk him down a little bit. Came with some goodies. 6hp 87' Evinrude and a Minn Kota Endura 55. For the most part it was ready to hit the water, but we have plans of completely redoing everything. We've been working on it now for about 3 weeks and have made substantial progress. Take a look at the photos and feel free to send over any comments.

photo(3).JPG
photo(12).JPG
Image03192011144941.jpg
Image03192011144957.jpg
Image03202011185820.jpg
photo(22).jpg
photo(4).jpg

Midway through the stripping process, we hit a cold spell here in Ohio. We had to shift gears and work on the trailer. We sanded it down, cleaned and painted it. New wiring and side markers and carpet for the lower bunks. We used Rustoleum "Hammered" Paint and I'm pretty happy with the results.

photo(6).jpgphoto(21).jpgphoto(5).jpgphoto(20)web.jpg

architorture said:
It's looking really good so far. How'd you strip the paint off your boat?

I tried a few different, but in short Klean-Strip Premium Paint Stripper(Gold can from home depot) gave me the best results in colder weather. I would apply and let it soak for 8-15min, then scrape off. Immediately after, we took hot water and a rag to wipe off the excess. Some areas required repeat applications.

However it's good to note that the paint on our boat was spray paint...but the stripper we used was indeed powerful and probably could take off any marine type paint.

Hey man, just today i got the exact same boat. Traded a motorcycle on craigslist for it. I'm super stoked. Anyway I wanted to do the same thing, take off all the old paint and shine up that aluminum. how is it going? anymore progress since april. I'm thinking this will be a great winter project. Did the cold make a big difference in the effectivness of the stripper? any pointers would be appreciated, thanks.

Inspiring! I just bought my rough 58 King Commander and eager to get started following in your footsteps.

Latest posts