Dad's 12' Springbok reborn - "Dad's Buoy"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

great white

Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm new here.

:)

My Dad has alzhiemers and it's progressed to the point where he'll never see the outside of an institution again.

:(

Mom asked me if I wanted the Springbok we kept at the cottage. Well, of course I said yes! The trailer is trashed, but the boat is in great shape!

Here's some pics of the boat and data plate:

fgdgrs-1.jpg

fgfgfg-1.jpg

IMGP1666.jpg

IMGP1653.jpg

(that's our neighbor at the cottage)

securedownload-1.jpg

(dad in the boat)

sfgsfgfsg-1.jpg

The engine is a nice little Johnson 8 hp.

It seems by checking around the internet that the colors and decals indicate it's a 1989.

Here's a few pics and a data plate:

fgfsgfsg.jpg

fsgfsgfg.jpg

fsgfdsgfs-1.jpg

Last time I had it out (3 years ago) it ran like a top! got that little aluminum up on plan right now! Putters around nicely also.

Anyone offer some insight int o this little popper?

Maybe some tips or this to watch out for?

I'll most likely do a bit of a restore on both the boat and the outboard.

I'm more than capable and it'll be a nice winter project for me.

Well, talking to my Mom reveals the trailer is a 1989 model by the registration.

The Outboard appears to be a 1989 model Johnson 8.0 HP based on the colors and decals. A bit of internet digging indicates Johnson used that particular engine cover graphic on 1989 models only.

That leads me to believe that the Springbok is also an 89 model and it was all bought as a package somewhere.

The trailer needs a bit of work. It was used primarily in salt water. Dad launched it at the bottom of the road, so it only ever had to travel a couple hundred feet. Dad never rinsed it or keep up on it. Everything below the "water line" is rotted away. The springs are rotted to one thin leaf, the bearing are inner and outer races ( bearings and cages long gone), the axle is wasted down and soft...

I may very well have a "last of the line" boat here if princecraft's web site is correct:

For more than 55 years, Princecraft has been building upon a foundation of the highest-quality aluminum boats :

1954 - The dream is born. Aluminum proves to be a better material to craft boats and Princecraft is founded in Princeville, Quebec, Canada. The original name of the manufacturing company is called Aluminum Boats and Canoes.

1973 - Sensing a growing market for boats, Aluminum Company of Canada (ALCAN) purchases Aluminum Boats and Canoes. ALCAN merges the acquisition with another of their aluminum boat manufacturers called Springbok.

1985 - Princecraft’s fish boat customers identify an opportunity for our high standard of quality in the fun pontoon category. After making sure we can manufacture pontoons of the same high quality and comfort, Princecraft pontoon boats are introduced to the aluminum boat family.

1989 - Princecraft gains a reputation for incredible attention to detail, and Springbok and Princecraft divisions are united under one name.

1990 - Outboard Marine Corporation knows quality boats when they see them and purchases 100 percent of Altra Marine's ownership and acquires Princecraft

https://www.princecraft.com/aluminum-boat/About-Princecraft/History.aspx

Although I can't see the pictures you've posted (because Big Brother has them blocked from where I work)....I'm sending prayers for your father and your family. [-o< [-o<

Welcome to TinBoats! Happy to have you here. Stick around....someone hear will be able to help you out I'm sure.

I've got hands on the boat and the trailer's not good. Dad only ever had to trailer it down the road 300 feet to launch and recover (all salt water), so he didn't do much maintenance on the trailer. Basically, the spring pack is rotted away to one thin leaf that the weight of the boat flattens right out, the axle is wasted down everywhere, lets not even talk about the bolts and nuts (cause there's nothing to speak of!) and when I took the hubs apart this is what I found:

c9b6d08b-1.jpg

Not good. No bearing cages. In fact, no bearings! rotted away to nothing! The hub was just riding on the inner and outer races. So that's why the wheels wobbled so bad comming down the dirt road..... :roll:

I was able to pound out the outer races, but I had to cut the inners with an angle grinder and split them with a cold chisel.

Basically, everything needs to be replaced from the waterline down.....

I was lucky today and picked up a new axle for 75 bucks. It has 4 bolt hubs, but my 5 bolt hubs will slip right on and allow me to use my larger rims and tires from my utility trailer.

Plus, I have the option of putting the 5 bolt hubs back on the util trailer and using the original 4 bolt rims on the boat.

I also have to move the spring perches. The boat uses 38" on center and he new axle is 36".

Easy enough. I'll just cut the old ones off and weld new ones where I need them.

I'm also thinking of doing a bass boat "light" style conversion. Not much, just some low level deck surfaces (outdoor carpeted) for convienience and add some covered storage areas. A few little things like rod holder and cleats to round it off.

If it still planes well, I'll look at adding a few other niceties like a trolling motor, battery, lights, etc.

It'll only ever have to haul me around and maybe infrequently the wife or a buddy (ie: the dog)...

Just decoded the Johnson serial number;

CJ8RCEC

Drop the first "C" (I'm assuming = Canadian) and the last "C" ( essentialy jibberish from what I've found).

So it's really J8RCE

J= Johnson

8= 8 HP

R= rope start

C=8 E=9 so 1989

The rest of the package;

1988 trailer (from the registration) and I'm guessing a 1988/89 Springbok (bought as a package).

Not too bad for soemthing that is for all intents and purposes "free".....

I got the axle built up yesterday. Cut off the spring perches and swapped on the 5 lug hubs and wheels.

Now I have a spare set of new bearing in the 4 bolt hubs to put away for later.

Tried to install bearing buddies, but they just wouldn't go on. They are the right size for my hubs. I'm just going to take the hubs apart once a year, clean and repack them.

I think I'll get the new perches welded on today or tomorrow.

Found a gent's pics of a 12 footer conversion and this is basically what I'm looking to build from dad's:

4184743816_d0aae8db6b_o-1.jpg

Thats does look like a nice mod.
My father has a 14' springbok,un-modded with a 9.9hp.

For the bearing budeies make sure that the inside of the hubs are clean, just use some sandpaper. I had that sname problem

I would install a good whinch strp to replace that thin rope.
Overall looks like a great boat

basstender10.6 said:
For the bearing budeies make sure that the inside of the hubs are clean, just use some sandpaper. I had that sname problem

I would install a good whinch strp to replace that thin rope.
Overall looks like a great boat

Nah, these would have to be Pressed in if I were to make them work. They measure just a bit too big for the inner dia of the hubs. Might have something to do with them being buddy knockoffs.

Winch is already changed to a 2 inch strap.

sorry to hear about your dad, i know a couple people engaged in the same battle, but that is a fine vessel, never seen one like that but i like it welcome aboard and good luck!

First loose plan:

UNGAVA2.jpg

Please excuse the poor ms paint rendering, I'm at my moms house and don't have access to my Photoshop.

I left all the stock bunks in place and worked around them to not affect the factory floatation or structural integrity. I always was impressed with how solid the little springbok ungava was and didn't want to loose that.

It used to plane very fast and very well. Hopefully, it still will. I've got plans to build everything out of some very light materials I have access to (think composite sandwich core)...

Been on a parts buying "spree" the last couple days.

Bow mount removable led light-$34
Stern 24" removable 18 led light-$45
Insulated Battery clamps-$7
Small 200 gph bilge pump-$8
large 2000 GPH bilge-$25 (emergency use if I hole the hull)
Through Hull bilge connector-$4
Rod holders x2-$20
Cup holders x3-$5
Impeller-$15
Anode-$7
Solar charger-$20
6 switch & cb panel-$25
Axle-$75
Misc bolts-$15
Spare tire holder-$15
Trailer light kit-$29
Truck multiplug (7 blade and 4/5 flat)-$39

The springs, hubs tires rims, etc are being scavenged off a utility trailer we're not going to keep to give the boat trailer life. The utility trailer is only 4 years old so it's all pretty much new parts (no use for a 4x6 utility trailer anymore).

All the rest of the boat stuff, right down to the vests/rods/tackle/hummingbird/coolers/anchor/swivel seats/oars/heaving lines/etc are already with the boat at the cottage.

Some aluminum bracing, marine plywood, carpet, battery and wiring and she'll be ready to go for the next season.

So that's, what? 3-500 bucks out the door for a complete, sturdy, capable little 8 hp tinny that I've known so well for the last 15 years or so and is good for everything from onshore (been there with this old semi-v many times) to a foot or less of water?

I'll take that all day any day!

Pics to come as I build it...

Here's a couple pics of dad enjoying her in his better days.

On plane in the harbour:

dadonplane-1.jpg

Getting a little onshore action:

onshore-1.jpg

A bit far out for a 12' tinny maybe?

onshore1-1.jpg

Nah, dad and the ol' girl spent their entire life on the Atlantic.

Yup, Dad, the old Sprinbok and the Johnson are a bunch of "salty dogs"........;)

I keep talking about the cottage, so I thought a pic or two was in order.

View from the upper balcony:

6a43d597-1.jpg

Pics of the house;

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Random:

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0233.jpg

ViewfromtheCottage.jpg

IMG_0436-1.jpg

my boat has similar seating,so i thought you may get some ideas from these

Attachments

• IMG_2480.jpg
    IMG_2480.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,571
  • IMG_2478.jpg
    IMG_2478.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,571
  • IMG_2485.jpg
    IMG_2485.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,571
bcbouy said:
my boat has similar seating,so i thought you may get some ideas from these

That forward folding rear hatch is a good idea. Whats that under it? It looks like a bilge pump and a battery maybe?

Latest posts