1965 Arkansas semi v project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOY BOAT

Reaction score
Hello to all.
My name is Bill. This is our first boat. We have been enjoying it almost every weekend since we bought it two months ago. It is a 1965 Arkansas v-hull that came with a 1989 Evinrude 15hp tiller. Since we purchased it, I have replaced the wood on the benches, added seats, a humminbird 565 fish finder, new fuel line, 25 lb trolling motor, tuned up the engine, replaced the lower end oil, and put a fresh coat of evinrude navy blue on the engine. I also replaced the lights and rewired the trailer, and installed new bunks.
future plans include power tilt and trim, paint, electric start, lighting, decking, and carpet. Maybe even a console with wheel and controls.
I am thinking of a build similar to this one. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15880

Here are some pictures of it the day I picked it up.
SSPX0208.jpg

SSPX0209.jpg

And some of it now
SSPX0306-1.jpg

SSPX0307.jpg

SSPX0315.jpg

I upgraded to an 1989 Evinrude 15 HP Model E15ECEC like yours....... =D> Love it!

I cleaned it up and gave it a touch up with some Evinrude Spray paint also.
Little video of it running in the drive way:

https://s454.photobucket.com/albums/qq263/Sapo60/?action=view&current=15HPEvinrude89.mp4

100_2009.jpg

100_2060.jpg

100_1992.jpg

100_1990.jpg

100_1980.jpg

100_1991.jpg

100_1988.jpg

Thanks guys. I have been working on it on Saturday, and playing with it on sunday. Wife loves boating, so any money I may or may not spend is done with no excuses. :D

Here is how I plan on painting it. Black, with red seperating the black from the natural aluminum.
today017.jpg

So I had fun with a gallon of Aircraft Remover yesterday. I had plastic on the ground, but still wound up with it on the grass in a couple places. Is there anything that will reverse the chemical effect of the stripper? Vinager?
birthdaywithfamily011.jpg

birthdaywithfamily010.jpg

i have a 1962 arkansas just like yours, however i dont have a gas motor yet just a 50ftlb electric troller, my queation is how well does that 15hp motor move that boat? im looking at a few And just want to get one big enough

jgilbo17 said:
i have a 1962 arkansas just like yours, however i dont have a gas motor yet just a 50ftlb electric troller, my queation is how well does that 15hp motor move that boat? im looking at a few And just want to get one big enough
With a full 6 gallon tank, battery, trolling motor, cooler, wife, and myself, it went 23mph.

As far as I know, water will stop the stripper. Are you worried about it getting on you, or the grass? That stuff burns like crazy. lol

I stopped by the marine store, and picked up a tube of 5200. Do I apply it before or after primer?

So I primed the areas where the rivets were, and then used the 5200 on the rivets.
I hope I did it right. I can paint over the 5200, correct?
boat003.jpg

boat004.jpg

Why didn't you prime the whole thing? Looks good...I have to do the 5200 on all my seams the next couple days....hadn't thought of doing all the rivets.

Jdholmes said:
Why didn't you prime the whole thing? Looks good...I have to do the 5200 on all my seams the next couple days....hadn't thought of doing all the rivets.
I primed the areas that I would be using 5200. I only had one can. I will be priming and painting the entire boat soon.
The boat is almost 47 years old, I decided it would not hurt to make sure all the rivets are sealed.

Hopefully I will be able to get it primered tomorrow, and possibly get the first coat of paint on it monday. I ditched the black over silver in favor of white over silver seperated with a red stripe, and blue lettering and numbers, and a grey interior with dark grey carpet.

TOY BOAT said:
Hopefully I will be able to get it primered tomorrow, and possibly get the first coat of paint on it monday. I ditched the black over silver in favor of white over silver seperated with a red stripe, and blue lettering and numbers, and a grey interior with dark grey carpet.
Well tomorrow never came, it has just gotten to cold. Come spring, I will prime and paint before tackling the interior. I had planned on glass black over silver, but have decided to go gloss white over silver with med grey int, with med grey carpet.

Latest posts