New to the Site

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonboat Ryan

Reaction score
My name is Ryan. I am in California. I found this site yesterday while trying to find ideas for a jon boat I picked up yesterday from a friend. It is an old Aero Craft 14ft boat. Needs alot of work. When I get home tomorrow I will post some pics. A couple of general questions though. What brand/type of paint and primer should I look at getting? What should I use to sand it down prior to priming and painting?

if you want the paint as strong as the original paint its gonna cost a good bit of money. boat paint isnt cheap nor is the primer for the aluminum but depending on what u want to do and want to spend here are some sites to look at. painting aluminum with this paint will be strong but the aluminum needs to be stripped bare if your using this stuff and u need a self etching primer for the aluminum some say they have used the cheap stuff from the auto motive center at walmart but depending on the method u choose if your gonna paint it and go with the expensive strong paint then do research on the best primer and cleaning methods. i painted mine with cheap stuff but i knew i would scratch it and touch up paint would be cheap

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=antifouling%20paint&page=GRID&engine=adwords!6456&keyword=antifouling+paint

https://www.bottompaintstore.com/boat-bottom-paint-c-13523.html?gclid=CJfx0tjtm64CFQpY7AodIRBsdA

Sorry I will try to get the pics up tonight. I had duty Monday night so I slept all day yesterday. My buddy is bringing the registration for the boat next week. He thinks it is a 66 but I am not finding any pictures of a 66 that looks like it. Were do I find the serial number?

The serial number is likely to be stamped on the top right of the stern
(where a modern Hull Id Number would be)

:WELCOME:

Looking forward to the pics.

There are a good number of threads on here with at least something about painting. Overall from what I have seen most everyone agrees on the self etching primer.

My plans are to paint part of the exterior and leave the rest just aluminum.. I may eventually paint that part too depenting on how things go. Then the interior will be painted and truck bed liner used on the floor. I am keeping mine pretty basic though. I have a 14 foot Sea Nymph...

From what I have learned here...the possibilities are limited only by your creativity. Dig around here and start reading on all the builds. You get tons of ideas.

I couldn't find the serial number. Here are a few pics. Not the greatest photographer.

Attachments

• IMG_0301.JPG
    IMG_0301.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,000
  • IMG_0302.JPG
    IMG_0302.JPG
  • IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,000
  • IMG_0305.JPG
    IMG_0305.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 2,000
  • IMG_0306.JPG
    IMG_0306.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,000
  • IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
Looks nice. I know alot of people have used wire wheels on a grinder to clean them off...some use paint stripper... I have also hearn not to use the wire wheels ..not sure the details seems enough people use them here though...

Welcome Ryan, I have used wire wheels on aluminum. I also just scuffed with sandpaper. I washed down with diluted vinegar water. I used rustoleum selfetching primer and rustoleum marine paint for top coat. I have not had a chance to abuse it yet so I don't know how long it will hold up. My whole paint job cost around $100. If I need to touch it up later it will be easy.

I did not strip the hull to bare aluminum.

I have been looking at alot of the pics on the site, and I have a few ideas. I was wondering though. How are people securing the 2x4 frames they build to the seats? I wanted to take the second and third seat and just put carpeted plywood on them but how do I secure the plywood to the aluminum seat?

I've never anything like it, especially the built-in handles. The earliest I've seen that logo is the 1959 catalog, and starting in the early 60's most aluminum boats were "lapstraked". After 1972 a hull ID would have been required.

My friend that I got the boat from says he is almost sure it is a 66. I would love to get an aerocraft emblem to put back in place. I am starting the restoration/modification tomorrow. I will be sure to take lots of pics..

silver_bay said:
I've never anything like it, especially the built-in handles.

Given that most boats had "lapstraking" by the mid 1960's I looked more closely at the 1959 catalog
(the first year I've seen that logo), and I noticed in my 1959 catalog:

https://www.ultimate.com/aerocraft-boats/91959/c/1959-p08.jpg

The top photo for the L-12 and N-14 has the same kind of bow handle as your boat,
as well as the support struts on the seats (but the spray rail is different).

The specs for the 1959 N-14 are:
LOA 14'
Beam 54"
Depth 20"
Weight: approx 105 lbs
Transom width: 44"
Max HP: 10

I have records that the N-14 was built in 1958 and 1959,
and that there was an NW-14 in 1960 and 1961.

The 1959 N-14 was sold under the budget "AeroLine" mark,
and the 1960 NW-14 was supposed to have been as well,
so that leaves 1961, and I don't have a full catalog for that year.

The 1962 catalog does not have a N-14 or NW-14 model.

Latest posts