12' Alumacraft (V-hull) Build To Bass Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manley09

Reaction score
Here is a link to my first attempt at modding this boat https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17225 I wanted to redo it because it didnt turn out how I had hoped.

First things first is I started from scratch, stripped it and wired wheeled the entire boat.
0220121533a.jpg

On my previous build I used pop rivets with sealant to fix a lot of rivets that leaked. well, let me tell you DO NOT USE POP RIVETS. they WILL leak! I looked around town and couldn't find anyone who had solid aluminum rivets. Then I found https://www.rivetsonline.com/ I HIGHLY recommend this site if you need rivets. Their prices are cheap and they make quality rivets. I pretty much drilled out every rivet on the bottom of the boat. The ones that were in there were 3/16" in diameter. I drilled them to a 1/4" and bought 1/4" by 1/2" rivets from that site and replaced them all. NO LEAKS NOW! :D

After I was done with the rivets, I applied gluvit to the inside of the hull. Let me tell you it's great stuff and dries hard as a rock.

Here is the bracing I'm using for the front deck. A lot of people go crazy with the bracing, but really this is all you need. It has held up perfectly.
0329121726a.jpg

After that I started thinking about the layout of the deck. I wanted a built in live well because I fish a lot of bass tournaments. so here's what I came up with. I ordered a kit from bass pro to turn the cooler into a live well.
0405121729a.jpg
0407121224a.jpg
I wanted storage in the back for life jackets and the anchor. There's also a bulge pump back there. I used 3/4" pine plywood for all of the wood.
Here's the battery holder I came up with for under the front deck. It's just 2x4s screwed together. it's nice and tight and they wont move an inch.0407120634a.jpg

After I got all the wood cut I decided it was time for paint. I primed it with a few coats of self etching primer and found this black paint with gold flake in it....exactly what I wanted. I hit the aluminum with a clear coat for a 2 tone boat.
0407121918a.jpg
0408121639b.jpg
0408121640a.jpg
Black to match my explorer. When the sun is out you can really see the gold flake in the paint sparkle.

Next I bought some marine carpet from lowes and here is the finished product! I have new seats and pedestals I ordered that are on their way. but here it is..
DSCF3597.jpg
DSCF3598.jpg
DSCF3600.jpg
DSCF3603.jpg
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Scroll down for new updated pictures!!! :)
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

Nice simple little boat, I had one of these when I was in high school...Good build sir! =D>

The boat fishes great! Wouldn't change a thing. In the pics I forgot to put on my trolling motor. I have one that attaches to the front.

Things I'm going to do this winter is add a fish finder. And repaint the trailer (it's looking pretty rough). I need to rebuild the carb on the motor too. It ran good in the beginning but not so much anymore. Hopefully I can get it running good. If not I have another little motor I can use.

Before I put the self etching primer on I wiped the entire boat down with acetone to get it clean. I think that's really important. Probably put 2 or 3 coats of self etching primer on. Then just used black spray paint and then I put a a few coats of clear coat over it. The paint job still looks great. There are little to no scratches on the paint and I go down a lot of gravel roads too.

Hey so it's been awhile and I wanted to post pictures of the updated rig!
The newest addition is on the sides. They are called Sponsons. Two 9 foot pieces of ethafoam on the sides. They have made a huge difference! Worth every penny! The boat is more stable, I don't get splashed by waves, and my speed increased! I bought them on ebay here is the link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canoe-Sponsons-Flotation-Strips-Bumpers-Stainless-Steel-Harware-9-foot-/121975822057?_trksid=p2352135.m2548.l4275

This first picture is of my friends boat who first told me about the sponsons. He used two sets.
IMG_8063.JPG

The rest of these are my boat! New 15hp Johnson that runs great! New bow mount trolling motor, seats, bilge pump, 12v plug/switch..check out the pics!
IMG_8157.JPG
IMG_8163.JPG
IMG_8162.JPG
IMG_8161.JPG
IMG_8172.JPG
IMG_8167.JPG
IMG_8165.JPG
IMG_8168.JPG
IMG_8164.JPG

Latest posts