It is currently 17 Apr 2014, 17:32

Anchorwizard

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 00:55 

I have a 12 foot mirro craft that I am modifying into a bass boat. One of the users on this site, Crappie Slayer did a similar modification on his boat and I used quite a few of his ideas to do mine, just wanted to clarify that so I don't get the full credit. I started from scratch, completely tore out the inside of the boat, flipped it and started the sanding process.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 01:07 

The previous owners had around 12 coats of white oil based house paint on this boat and I did not have a super strong power tool to get it all off. I picked up a couple of cans of "Aircraft stripper" and what I did was use a paint brush, wipe it on pretty thick and I cut garbage bags and laid it over the stripper and left it on over night. This dug through the layers pretty fast. After that I used my power drill with a steel brush wheel attachment to bring it down back to the original aluminum, I used an aluminum bondo to fill in any gouges or nics in the boats surface, then I sanded that down once it was dry.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 07:51 

Looking Good and welcome to the mirrocraft club!!! Don’t say anything but we are going to take over this site with the leadership of Capt Ahab. Like I said it is a secret so don't say anything about the club.

Project "A Little Snookered" viewtopic.php?f=21&t=22132

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 08:26 

fool4fish1226 wrote:
Looking Good and welcome to the mirrocraft club!!! Don’t say anything but we are going to take over this site with the leadership of Capt Ahab. Like I said it is a secret so don't say anything about the club.

What he said. Welcome

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 12:50 

After is was brought back down to the original aluminum, I washed it down with a degreaser and scrubbed it good. then I made a makeshift paint room in my garage. I do not own a paint sprayer so I decided to use spray cans of (self-etching primer) for the first coats. I sprayed on two coats of this. The self-etching primer is nice because it fills in all of the nics you missed and buff marks from the power drill and it makes a nice and smooth and even coat. After the first coat dried I went over it with a fine sanding block and took off any imperfections or raised spots.

So before I flip it, I decided to build the subfloor frame. I used 2x2's, galvanized deck screws, and gorilla glue (wood) for the seams to ensure there is no squeaking from the wood rubbing together. To attach the frame to the floor I used metal angle brackets, picked up four at Home Depot for around $3.50, I bought like ten packages, but they are the ones that have a crease in the middle so that there is room for flex but still goes back to its normal position. There were a few different options I chose this one and it seems to be working well for me.

First coats of primer, even though I don't have a sprayer I picked up one of those attachments at Home Depot that click right on top of the spray can, makes it a ton easier and way less fatigue on your finger and your hand doesn't get paint on it.

Finally got the whole inside stripped out as well, figured even though I won't see most of the inside after I'm done it might as well be done right!

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 12:54 

Thanks guys, I am a new boat owner, and not a carpenter by any means so don't be to critical of my crappy workmanship..lol...This is my first boat overhaul, I've researched and read a ton of information to at least make sure it's done right, may be crooked but it'll be right :)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 13:30 

Your doing a great job keep the updates coming.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 14:00 

Thank you fool4fish, and here are some more pictures up to date, I have been working on this for around two months solid, took pictures as I was going and now I am posting them, I've only gotten up to framing the inside so far, here are the up to date pics. Please feel free to give me constructive criticism as I definitely need it :)

First coat of paint, now since I do not have a paint sprayer, I used a foam roller, one that was the side of each 1/4 panel that runs alongside of the boat, the foam roller worked out perfectly and didn't leave any textured marks or anything. The self-etching primer did the work of sealing any crevices or marks so I didn't have to slop the paint on an extra just a nice even coat all around.

picked up some acetone to clean off the primed surface and get it ready to be painted. Now the paint I used was from Fleet Farm paid a little over $11 a quart, I put on three decent coats on my boat with just one quart. Just to put in perspective on how much you will need if you have the same size boat.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 14:05 

Paint looks great =D> I like the color blue on a boat

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 14:07 

After the first coat dried I went over it with a sanding block (fine grit) this took off any runs, or raised pieces, imperfections etc.. I didn't sand the rivets as that would take the paint all the way off of them or the seams same reason. Then I went over the sanded paint with acetone and a tack cloth. You can pick up three tack cloths from Home Depot for like $4 bucks. It is basically a wax cloth that will pick up ANYTHING that is left behind, dust, debri, fuzzies, etc...

It's not a perfect job, but I used my resources available and I think it looks pretty damn good!

Well here it is all shiny and blue, hopefully I do not get hit by any other boats now that I match the water :)

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 14:20 

The paint job looks good, I will be painting mine a lighter blue, its is by awlcraft, medeterian blue with metal flake......I cant wait til i can finally paint my outside. Great job.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 16:53 

thanks bigwave, yeah it's been a process but well worth the time spent! I just can't wait until the framing is done and the carpet put on then some fishing hopefully before winter haha :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 17:54 

And the framing starts. I screwed the floor down to the frame using the galvanized deck screws. The plywood I used is the 1/2, I did some research and the 1/2 inch is actually stronger per square foot than the 3/4 inch due to the fact that it can flex in different spots compared to the 3/4 in. only flexing at certain points. Not to mention the 1/2 in. will take a lot more weight off of the total in the boat when everything is said and done. After nailing down the plywood you will notice that the metal mounts where the bench seat was screwed into, I removed the back four. I was going to use them for part of the supports but instead I decided to cut a piece of 2x2, drilled holes through it and then I screwed a piece of 2x2 on the top and bottom of that support. I also used gorilla wood glue and clamps for the three pieces to make sure they were nice and secured.

On here I made a frame for the back seat, I will put the seat post holder directly on top of this. I also measured it so I can stick my 6 gal. fuel tank under it.

here I ran a 2x2 all the way across the bottom edges of the floor. Then on the top of the rail I ran a 2x2 from the seat brackets to the rear of the boat.

I kept the front two metal seat brackets on the front of the boat so that I have a stronger structure for the casting deck I am going to put up there.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 20:17 

Great job on the paint. And welcome to the club. F4f or big will show you the seceret hand shake 8)
ill be doing mine in a blue called largo blue from interlux .at least that's the plan for now :LOL2:

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2012, 21:34 

Thanks flajsh,

yeah I was going to try and find different paint colors but I liked this one and I figure it'll be easy to touch up if I do get a nick in it, but there are three solid layers of paint and three in between layers of self-etching primer, I'm pretty sure this paint won't be coming off easy. :twisted:

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next