Delhi 1430 with Evinrude 9.9

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inlovewithsurfin

Reaction score
well i finally got a little time and the weather decided to cooperate (except for the extreme heat!) and i got some work done on the Delhi 1430 and the Evinrude 9.9... FINALLY got the 9.9 running! (i bought it on craigslist from a guy who said it ran a couple months ago and that he put it in storage and now it wont run... dont think he told me the truth! lol) the outboard has no neutral for some reason? (if anyone knows where i should start on fixing that it would be amazing!) and the throttle is really bad the teeth dont mesh up and i probably will have to buy a new tiller handle?

heres some pics and a video of the Evinrude running....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIe6mDNMxC8&feature=youtu.be

14309.jpg
the outboard was missing the Tilt Pin...
143010.jpg
it doesnt look like this motor had been running in a long time!! lol... original rubber float
143011.jpg
out with the old transom
1430.jpg
14301.jpg
14302.jpg
14303.jpg
14304.jpg
14305.jpg
14306.jpg
14307.jpg
14308.jpg

got all the wood work done.... and coated with Thompson's Water Seal. was thinking about getting the carpet laid today but right now i dont really feel like getting off the couch! :)

Looks like its going to be built just like the original buckshot, I sure its going to look great! Do you plan to keep this boat as well, or sell it to pay off the "Big Shots Big Brother". I have a question about your transom, the piece of wood on the outside, does that help the backside not cave in with the weight/pressure the motor mount puts on the transom? I just got a 1968 6hp evinrude and I think I will need to add that piece of wood. What do you think?

JRyno10 said:
Looks like its going to be built just like the original buckshot, I sure its going to look great! Do you plan to keep this boat as well, or sell it to pay off the "Big Shots Big Brother". I have a question about your transom, the piece of wood on the outside, does that help the backside not cave in with the weight/pressure the motor mount puts on the transom? I just got a 1968 6hp evinrude and I think I will need to add that piece of wood. What do you think?

its gonna be similar to Buckshot... but better because it will be simple and clean... and wait till you see the carpet i have picked out for it! :) i am planning on selling this set-up and giving the money to my fiance for our wedding. (she deserves it for putting up with my new "obsession" lol...)

as far as the transom... the wood on the outside of the boat does a dual purpose for me. it does add some extra support but mostly i like it to make the transom a little thicker for your motor to clamp down on. when i didnt have the extra wood on the transom i had to use all the threads on my trolling motor to clamp it down and i didnt feel it was as secure as i would have liked.

inlovewithsurfin said:
as far as the transom... the wood on the outside of the boat does a dual purpose for me. it does add some extra support but mostly i like it to make the transom a little thicker for your motor to clamp down on. when i didnt have the extra wood on the transom i had to use all the threads on my trolling motor to clamp it down and i didnt feel it was as secure as i would have liked.

aside from the added thickness, i like to put sacrificial surfaces on the inside and outside of my transom because my motors do not live on the boat,....with repetitive install/uninstall, the motor clamp can put nasty dents/scratches on a bare transom...these sacrificial pieces are just bolted on, and can be easily replaced when they're badly chewed up....

inlovewithsurfin said:
well i finally got a little time and the weather decided to cooperate (except for the extreme heat!) and i got some work done on the Delhi 1430 and the Evinrude 9.9... FINALLY got the 9.9 running! (i bought it on craigslist from a guy who said it ran a couple months ago and that he put it in storage and now it wont run... dont think he told me the truth! lol) the outboard has no neutral for some reason? (if anyone knows where i should start on fixing that it would be amazing!) and the throttle is really bad the teeth dont mesh up and i probably will have to buy a new tiller handle?

heres some pics and a video of the Evinrude running....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIe6mDNMxC8&feature=youtu.be

View attachment 11
the outboard was missing the Tilt Pin...
View attachment 10
it doesnt look like this motor had been running in a long time!! lol... original rubber float
View attachment 9
out with the old transom
View attachment 8
View attachment 7
View attachment 6
View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

got all the wood work done.... and coated with Thompson's Water Seal. was thinking about getting the carpet laid today but right now i dont really feel like getting off the couch! :)

your gonna be a tad bit upset...that thompsons water seal is a no no for aluminum, it will start to eat through it and i would get it out of there. i have some pics of what it did to my benches after a couple months...thankfully i was unhappy with my mod and stripped it down or i would have never caught it. i will post them for you tomorrow when i get to my other computer with the pics.
at first i thought it wasnt the thompsons but came to the conclusion thats all it could have been so i cleaned it all up and then clamped a small peice of aluminum to a peice of ply and checked now and then and sure enough the two did not get along very well lol! i got picks of my test too.... other than that its a cool lil boat, ya gonna carpet it? oh and you can seal your ply with spar or something of that nature.....

Shawnfish were you using pressure treated plywood? The reason I ask is because I know that the PT plywood will do said damage to aluminum. I haven't heard of anyone else saying that Thompsons Water Sealant is a bad choice.

Wow... I never heard of Thompson water seal causing damage to aluminum? Well luckily I only coated the top sides of the wood and I wrap the carpet underneath so the wood won't be in direct contact with the aluminum! Thank you for the heads up! What kind of plywood were you using? I know pressure treated wood causes corrosion also.

I am planning on carpeting tonight so some more pictures should be posted later!

no it was regular plywood, im trying to find my card with the pictures for ya so i can upload them....im tellin ya though you do not wanna carpet that and leave it on the boat...

JRyno10 said:
I haven't heard of anyone else saying that Thompsons Water Sealant is a bad choice.

I would say it is a bad choice. Haven't heard of the aluminum compatibility issues, but it is a rather poor sealant when compared to spar urethane. If you plan on selling it though, I'd leave it as is.

shawnfish said:
no it was regular plywood, im trying to find my card with the pictures for ya so i can upload them....im tellin ya though you do not wanna carpet that and leave it on the boat...

well thats disappointing to hear... i dont have the time or money to re-do all the wood so this will be a learning lesson for me! if you do find those pictures please post them!

also... i love your signature! ;)

got the carpet laid tonight... i love this dark grey/black carpet!!! i think i am going to use it in my 1436! i really like the way this boat is turning out! its a really nice boat and still light weight! everything is clean and simple...

ill let the pictures speak for themselves...

143012.jpg
143013.jpg
143014.jpg
143015.jpg
143016.jpg
143017.jpg

im not finished yet... still have to add handles to the back of the boat and seal up all the old rivet holes and "button up" the transom... add some pole holders and a few other odds and ends!

thank you guys! im actually going to take her out on her maiden voyage tomorrow night in a small lake! hopefully shes a lucky boat cause i havent been having ANY luck fishing lately!

inlovewithsurfin said:
hopefully shes a lucky boat cause i havent
been having ANY luck fishing lately!
uh oh..................what if she's lucky? will you still sell even when it gives you one of your best fishing trips? :twisted:

Looking good man! How much space do you leave on your carpeted boards to wrap it around for a nice fit? FISH ON!

inlovewithsurfin said:
thank you guys! im actually going to take her out on her maiden voyage tomorrow night in a small lake! hopefully shes a lucky boat cause i havent been having ANY luck fishing lately!

She looks great man! Great job :) Which lake are you taking her out on?

J.P. said:
inlovewithsurfin said:
hopefully shes a lucky boat cause i havent
been having ANY luck fishing lately!
uh oh..................what if she's lucky? will you still sell even when it gives you one of your best fishing trips? :twisted:

had a fun fishing trip! i caught 3 large mouth bass (finesse worm with pumpkin head) and 2 crappie 10inches long (on "gulp" brand minnows) and lots of little yellow perch.

unortunately i will still have to sell this boat! i dont know who made this rule up and why they told my fiance.... but aparantly im only allowed to have one boat! haha

Mutt22Ky said:
Looking good man! How much space do you leave on your carpeted boards to wrap it around for a nice fit? FISH ON!

after cutting the hatch out of the plywood i went and cut an extra 1/4inch off of the platform to make room for the carpet. it is still tight but just the right amount of tightness so that it doesnt flop around while trailering.

Brandon said:
inlovewithsurfin said:

She looks great man! Great job :) Which lake are you taking her out on?

went out on the "Budweiser lake" or "hoffman lake" whatever you call it? had fun! my first time but that lake shows promise for a va beach lake