1966 Starcraft Sea Dart -budget resto/mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knezzer

Reaction score
Howdy. I picked up an old Starcraft a few months ago and have been working on fixing it up to be a nice fishing rig. I found this site helpful and chock full of great ideas. I poached a few but had a bunch of my own ideas of course.
Here are some pics of when I brought the boat home.
DSCN1414.jpg

DSCN1412.jpg

DSCN1402.jpg

DSCN1399.jpg

I had some 3/4 plywood kicking around so I fixed up a temp floor to try out ideas. Also I had an old camper rotting in the back, so I used the table legs as posts for my swivel chairs.
2012070.jpg

I bought a used minn kota trolling motor with foot control but the foot pedal didn't work very well. I could only turn left ! So I took it apart and looked at it and figured out which wires did what. Then I got some switches, on/off toggle and a DPDT switch to make it go left or right. Also a potentiometer (kinda like a dimmer) to control the speed. Worked like a charm !
2012069.jpg

Well I think I know what I want to do now. Get serious. Tractors are very handy.
2012085.jpg

cleaned and flipped
DSCN3065.jpg

flipped and cleaned

I like the white look plus I didn't want to buy more paint
DSCN3118.jpg

new rollers and a new winch strap as well
DSCN3123.jpg

some mud flap rock guards I had laying around
DSCN3128.jpg

cleaned up the inside. Got rid of all the extra metal bits and re-riveted a bunch of spots. Also sprayed this stuff around the seams and rivets
DSCN3078.jpg

I also shortened the bow a bit to get rid of the ugly "bucket hole" the previous owner thought was cool.
sanded and cleaned and primed
DSCN3080.jpg

sprayed the whole inside white
DSCN3088.jpg

re-installed my custom casting deck.
037.jpg

lots of storage under neath plus a hidden seat that folds away
038.jpg

battery box is part of the structure and screwed to the floor
039.jpg

anchor box is removable and has some space underneath for an extra lifejacket
040.jpg

back table top is hinged and flips up. also I put my other battery there for the electric start and lights.
033.jpg

I think it's a nice simple layout. The floor is screwed down and there are some pool noodles underneath, but not enough to block water from getting to the back.
031.jpg

Best of all it's nice and light so I can tow with my 2004 Impreza Outback sport.
027.jpg

All in all this was a fairly cheap makeover. I paid $2800 for the motor (2008 suzuki 4 stroke electric start), boat and trailer. The motor alone was worth that price. I spent a few bucks on paint, deck stain, rivets, sand paper and leak seal. Most the other parts used I scavenged or recycled from jobsites that I was working on. I'm not done yet, but I'm using the boat this weekend and for the rest of the season. Cheers

I don't know about you but I get a lot of looks when I pull my boat with may subaru.

Nice job on the transformation!

I like the repurposed milk crate and plastic tote. The fold away seat is a nice touch, might have to file that away for future use.

Bilgediver said:
I don't know about you but I get a lot of looks when I pull my boat with may subaru.
I sure have had some looks alright. Up here in Saskatchewan a half ton truck is considered a small vehicle. Don't bother me any ! I'll pass them on the hwy and the gas pump.

Josh in FLA said:
Nice job on the transformation!

I like the repurposed milk crate and plastic tote. The fold away seat is a nice touch, might have to file that away for future use.

Thanks Josh in FLA ! I think that next season I will splurge on another fold down seat and put it where the bench seat goes. Its not that comfy sitting on the bench like that. Not that I'd sit there anyway, lol I've got the captains chair :)

I am going to be painting my G3 white and I was wondering what paint you used and how it was holding up.

ed

Latest posts