My Jon Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bodeen

Reaction score
It isn't completed yet, so I hope this is okay that I post the WIP here.

I am starting with this.

BoatRebuild0001.jpg

Got the front decking cut to length, just need to trim it to fit.

BoatRebuild0002.jpg

Front decking trimmed up.

BoatRebuild0003.jpg

Deck Riser for trolling motor mount. Access below for a couple storage boxes.

BoatRebuild0004.jpg

Rear deck area. Was thinking about covering the entire back, but with the cooler in there to be set up as a live well, I was thinking of just doing the seat area.

BoatRebuild0005.jpg

Rear flooring. No floor in yet, just some insulation to deaden the sound. Wouldn't mind filling it in level to the top of the rib with some type of flotation material.

BoatRebuild0006.jpg

Design for the access panels to below deck.

BoatRebuild0007.jpg

The cubby hole under trolling motor riser should hold all the cranks I will need for the type of fishing this boat will be set up for.

BoatRebuild0008.jpg

Got the floor cut to size and placed in the boat.

BoatRebuild0009.jpg

Made the rear deck a little longer in the front to make a little cubby hole to put things in.

BoatRebuild0010.jpg

Threw some scrap together to see how it looks. The uprights aren't needed for support. Can also just have the bottom cross board be a 1 by and use some brackets to secure it to the floor so items in cubby hole won't slide forward. Also thought of using cargo netting or some type of bungee. It is still up in the air, but I got plenty of time and options on that.

BoatRebuild0011.jpg

Got the below deck access panels cut out.

BoatRebuild0012.jpg

I think I will go this route for the cubby hole. Can put storage boxes three deep in it.

BoatRebuild0013.jpg

Looking good so far! 8)

As for the insulation board, not only does it deaden sound/vibration, but it also serves as additional flotation for the boat, in the event of being swamped. Also, it helps to stiffen the deck above, preventing it from flexing. You are using the right type of foam, the closed-cell extruded styrofoam board. It's usually pink, or blue, either one is acceptable. Being closed-cell, it will not absorb water, unlike open cell, which will absorb water and then cause poultice corrosion.

You were saying you wanted material that was as thick as the rib. What are you using now? 1/2" or 3/4"? They make that foam board up to 2 inches thick, if I remember correctly. I think 1 & 1/2" would be about right for your boat.

Certainly solid.
Can't beleive no one wants to know what type boat is sitting next to it?

Shopping around I found some Minwax that runs 45 bucks a gallon. Was told it is the best sealant for boat decking.

Now the adhesive for putting down either the carpet or vinyl flooring says to go on a clean surface, no oils etc. How would this sealer affect the adhesive?

Weather got warm enough to finish the project long before I got to it. January I gutted two rooms in the basement and turned it into a 31 feet long man cave. I did get the jon finished though.

Finished Product!!!

BoatRebuild0001.jpg

BoatRebuild0002.jpg

BoatRebuild0003.jpg

BoatRebuild0004.jpg

BoatRebuild0005.jpg

BoatRebuild0006.jpg

BoatRebuild0007.jpg

BoatRebuild0008.jpg

BoatRebuild0009.jpg

BoatRebuild0010.jpg

BoatRebuild0011.jpg

BoatRebuild0012.jpg

BoatRebuild0013.jpg

BoatRebuild0014.jpg

BoatRebuild0015.jpg

BoatRebuild0016.jpg

BoatRebuild0017.jpg

BoatRebuild0018.jpg

BoatRebuild0019.jpg

BoatRebuild0020.jpg

BoatRebuild0021.jpg

BoatRebuild0022.jpg

BoatRebuild0023.jpg

BoatRebuild0024.jpg

BoatRebuild0025.jpg

BoatRebuild0026.jpg

BoatRebuild0027.jpg

BoatRebuild0028.jpg

BoatRebuild0029.jpg

BoatRebuild0030.jpg

BoatRebuild0031.jpg

BoatRebuild0032.jpg

I have the same boat with a 3.5HP motor. May I ask how wobbly that thing is out on the water? I have been wanting to make a platform up front, but figured it wouldn't be too sturdy.

Daniel

darkcrisis said:
I have the same boat with a 3.5HP motor. May I ask how wobbly that thing is out on the water? I have been wanting to make a platform up front, but figured it wouldn't be too sturdy.

Daniel

It isn't too wobbly at all, but I don't have a front deck chair and I am not sure how wobbly that would make it.

What I did here for the cubby under the back seat was to use a 2x4 and just screw it into the bottom decking. Worked out pretty easy that way.

BoatRebuild0029.jpg

really good job !! neat and orderly.

just one question - - - the two hatch handles - - - are they just regular
kitchen cabinet handles ?? If they are raised metal, I think you will find
out pretty quick that is not what to use in this case.
I think the black nylon straps would be most suited for that purpose.
Burn the ends, fold over and hold in place with some S/S screws.
You probably have some kind of gym or carry bag with an extra strap.
I think the most common is just the finger pull stapled on the edge from underneath.
handles.jpg
Nylon_strap.jpg
jus my Dos Centavos

I am not sure where the handles came from, but I seem to remember them coming from a casket. I have a long time family friend who is the county coroner. Even have a body bag for moving deer in.

This boat sees minimal time on the water. It is just my river boat, and then just during low water levels in summer. If they do start to have issues, I will alter the design.

thanks for the info on the straps.