Country Dave’s Lowe 1752 modification/restoration project.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Dave

Reaction score
Ok I started working on my Lowe 1752. My 1448 is almost completed and I really wanted to get started on this project. This is going to be a total rebuild starting with the transom.

First things first. Strip her down and do a little clean up.

Attachments

• 066.JPG
    066.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19,868
  • 067.JPG
    067.JPG
  • 068.JPG
    068.JPG
  • 070.JPG
    070.JPG
  • 071.JPG
    071.JPG
Ok I removed the Side console and the rest of the junk. Shes going to get a new center console.

Attachments

• 078.JPG
    078.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19,639
  • 079.JPG
    079.JPG
  • 082.JPG
    082.JPG
  • 083.JPG
    083.JPG
  • 084.JPG
    084.JPG
fool4fish1226 said:
Great platform you are starting with - I will be following this build :beer:

Thanks bro,

I just looked at your Mirocraft project and I all I can say is “Awesome” Great ingenuity, creativity and workmanship. You should be very proud. :beer:

Gators5220 said:
What are you gonna do with this one? Make it a flats boat?

Gator that’s, it I’m a flats rat for sure. It’s going to be perfect set up for me. I fish Florida Bay a lot and it gets pretty skinny. I also fish Biscayne Bay, Flamingo White water bay, Cape Sable and Chokoloskee.

Attachments

• Snake bite at low tide.png
    Snake bite at low tide.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 19,568
  • imagesCAENNUSE.jpg
    imagesCAENNUSE.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 19,568
Well last night I removed the scupper tray and then cut off the transom cap. I am sooooooo glad I did. I just wanted to check the wooden transom core. Its toast, lots of rot. :cry:
I tried everything to pull the core out including driving 6 inch wood screws down in the core and using my slide hammer to pull it out. That’s not happing. The core is so wet the screws just pull out, the core just crumbles. #-o I’m going to have to just drill and dig, drill and dig. Can you say tedious? :cry:

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19,567
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
Nice, can we say score on that one, also bud that's a nice snookie photo you got there...

Looks great, just picked up an 1872 to fish the flats up here in the Panhandle. What cha going to do for final paint etc ? Pic of the FlatsArk.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 19,247
Gators5220 said:
Nice, can we say score on that one, also bud that's a nice snookie photo you got there...

Yes we can say score on that one Gator :lol: Snook and Redfish/Red drum are without question among my favorite targets. There both great fighters, I mean a redfish will square off with you in the parking lot while you’re trying to launch your boat. :lol:
That’s a great rig BB. She is going to get some paint for sure and I’ve given it a little thought but trying to stay on task with the transom for now.

Pics in a bit.

Thanks, indeed Redfish are ready to do battle at any time. Up here, it's Reds and Specks. I think I'm going Linex on the interior and a good ole classic white on the exterior.

Ok this is what I found, not to bad all things consider. The front transom plate has a little bit of corrosion on it but its superficial. It looks worse in the pics. I’m just going to clean it up and hit it with some zinc chromate primer and a coat rustoleum.

The wood on the other hand was pretty bad. I didn’t weigh it but it’s heavy. It’s been drinking for a while. The core was two pieces of some type of ply, one piece was 1inch and the other ¾ I think I’m going to use yellow pine; it’s pretty hard and readily available. Going to stack it, bound it together apply a light coat of epoxy resin then sandwich it between two pieces of 0.125 aluminum.

The rear/outside of the transom is made out of 0.125 so between the core that has two pieces of 0.125, the rear 0.125 and the peace of 0.250 that I’m going to use as an overlay this new transom is going to be super rigged and will probably weigh less that the rotted wood core that came out.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19,228
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
Badbagger said:
Thanks, indeed Redfish are ready to do battle at any time. Up here, it's Reds and Specks. I think I'm going Linex on the interior and a good ole classic white on the exterior.

I did that on my 1448. It came out good. :)

Not horrible, could be worse for sure and you're like me: do it once, do it right. I learned that a LONG time ago lmfao

Badbagger said:
Not horrible, could be worse for sure and you're like me: do it once, do it right. I learned that a LONG time ago lmfao

You got that right Bad b,

Do it once, do it right. I think I have ADD in reverse or somthing. :lol: Sometimes I get so focused on a task I over think it or, just get so freaking anal about it things don’t move as fast as I like but hey. I mean it always gets done right. I guess there are worse ways to be.

What year model Lowe is that? I have owned several over the last 30 years and never had one with a rotten transom. Very good boats and that model is an excellent platform to use for nearly anything!

Country Dave you fly fish at all? Cause back home we get black drum on the flats sunning in the winter time just like reds, and they are true bulldogs on the flat, try landing a 50 lb black drum on the fly haha...

Latest posts