I did it again....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inlovewithsurfin

Reaction score
i have added a new boat to my fleet!!! as of tomorrow i will be the owner of a 1982 bass tracker III with a 50 Merc on the back. the boat is in rough shape cosmetically but structurally sound! the motor however wont crank for me... the starter just clicks... im hoping its just a dead battery. i can spin the motor by the propellor so it is not locked up. IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS ONE OF THESE OLD TRACKER II'S I WOULD LOVE YOUR INPUT/ADVICE/WARNINGS! :)

tracker_zps17afa62d.jpg

tracker1_zps363a53e8.jpg

tracker2_zps5b2d5bfc.jpg

as with all my other build threads pictures will be plenty! and please feel free to post your own pictures or build threads!

Inlovewithsurfin I too have an old bass tracker. At the end of duck season this year I started the process of stripping her down to barebones. I found six ribs cracked that are in need of repair. Looking forward to watching your build. Good luck.

got the boat home now... the trailer the boat was sitting on was 13feet SHORT!!! made for the scariest tow home ever.... made it safely and now have the boat sitting on a trailer it actually fits on now! also got a chance to screw with the motor a bit. i was able to get it to crank by jumping the starter solenoid. i think just throwing a new ignition switch on... the beast MIGHT fire right up?

here are a few new pictures of her at home...

tracker4_zpsa18c9060.jpg

tracker3_zps6aedcab6.jpg

tracker7_zps75981d03.jpg

tracker6_zps5a53a4d8.jpg

tracker5_zpsea1dc1b5.jpg

Hey when you gonna open the boat yard for bussiness?
J/K.. 8) At one time I had 3 tinnys at my house and the wife asked me that.
Nice boat bro!
I can't wait to see how this one turns out...
That thing is gonna really fly with the 50HP on it.

If the solenoid was just clicking initially and you have since been able to get the engine to turn over by jumping across the solenoid, it sounds to me like you need to replace the solenoid.

I completely agree with you about the starter solenoid! I don't think that's what I hear clicking though? I think I was mistaken and that the clicking sound is coming from the electronic choke when I press the ignition switch in... I also don't have a key for the ignition so buying a new ignition switch will solve that problem too. If I still don't get it to crank my next step will be the wiring and starter solenoid. Hopefully after all that she will fire right up! I have high hopes cause the motor is soo clean...

I have almost the same boat! 1982 Bass tracker, its the 15 ft model. I don't have a gas motor on it however, still looking for one. But i just got most of the rewiring done. Put a new switch panel in were the old one used to be on the center console and wired it up. Mine is in pretty decent shape seeing as most of its time it was in the garage. Still got the orange lines and bass tracker logo. Haven't got it out of the water yet however. But i will be following your build and maybe get some ideas!

Dennis Logston said:
I have almost the same boat! 1982 Bass tracker, its the 15 ft model. I don't have a gas motor on it however, still looking for one. But i just got most of the rewiring done. Put a new switch panel in were the old one used to be on the center console and wired it up. Mine is in pretty decent shape seeing as most of its time it was in the garage. Still got the orange lines and bass tracker logo. Haven't got it out of the water yet however. But i will be following your build and maybe get some ideas!

what kind of motor are you looking to put on your boat? do you have a build thread on your boat that i can check out?

Don't have a build quite yet, and I'm mostly just doing some rewiring since the guy who owned it before me replaced the wood and carpet and its still good. But i will get a few pictures up of what i've done with it and more modifications along the way.

It has a 70lb thrust bow mount minn kota on it, however i'm looking for a gas motor for it aswell, to hook up to the center console. Anything 20-40 HP will work aslong as it is able to hook up to the center console and turn and aslong as its cheap, i'm keeping an eye out on craigslist.

How many boats are you planning to keep? The number three is acceptable at my house... My only fear is that when I die, my wife sells them for what I told her they're worth! #-o

Dennis Logston said:
Don't have a build quite yet, and I'm mostly just doing some rewiring since the guy who owned it before me replaced the wood and carpet and its still good. But i will get a few pictures up of what i've done with it and more modifications along the way.

It has a 70lb thrust bow mount minn kota on it, however i'm looking for a gas motor for it aswell, to hook up to the center console. Anything 20-40 HP will work aslong as it is able to hook up to the center console and turn and aslong as its cheap, i'm keeping an eye out on craigslist.

well i would love to see some pictures of your boat!!!!

Scott1298 said:
How many boats are you planning to keep? The number three is acceptable at my house... My only fear is that when I die, my wife sells them for what I told her they're worth! #-o

As of right now i have 3 boats!!! unfortunately.... the acceptable # of boats in my house is limited to just 1 due to moving into an apartment in 2 months when i get married. i wont have space for all these boats and selling two of my boats will help financially towards the wedding... but i do have ONE MORE boat that has been left un-mentioned and un-seen... ill be keeping that a secret for now! but it will be my new pond slayer! :)

Newlyweds don't have as much time to fish as the rest of us... enjoy your honeymoon!!! (Then get back to fishing :| )

Latest posts