Tracker Grizzley 1654 Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanmchugh

Reaction score
Hi I am new to the board and I thought I would post some picutres and welcome any suggestions to my in progress modification. I am working with my 3 year old grizzley and i am trying to add deck space and flooring over the exsisiting beams. I use the boat for fishing and waterfowl hunting so I wanted to keep my deck low so i can still utilize my seats when the blind is on. I also want to add some dry storage. I am thinking about adding some to the bow but I already removed the middle seat along with the flotation foam. I am worried about removing any more. I am using all aluminum and am welding and riviting the project to gether. Here are some pics for a stock photo of the boat through what I have got done so far.

boat.jpg

100_2203.jpg

100_2204.jpg

100_2206.jpg

100_2207.jpg

100_2211.jpg

nickweldingboat.jpg

newsupportbeams.jpg

tabs.jpg

floor.jpg

floor2.jpg

I still have a lot to go. 1/3 of the floor left and a lot of little stuff for example Building some dry storage. Building and installing a small live well. Any sugestions for dimensions on that? I want to keep it as small as possible. Putting some removable flush mount seats in the decking. Installing a 12 volt receptacle for a spot light. Adding spot lights to the front of the boat for early mornings on the lake going duck hunting and late nights on the lake fishing. Welding a pipe along the side of the boat to run all the wires through. Installing a bilge in the rear of the boat and switches to operate everything. Mounting a fire extinguisher in there since I enclosed the gas tank and batteries. Putting in some rod holders I got from Cableas. Installing the latch handles for the rear hatches as well as putting weather stripping on them. Also will need to prime and paint the whole thing.

Thanks in advance for any help /suggestions.

Thanks for the welcome Jim. Let me know what you think when you get a chance to look at the pictures. This is the first time I have ever done a project like this and I am lucky enough to have a good friend who is a specialized welder. We have full access to his shop. They actually fix fuel tankers and they do a lot of work with Aluminum.

Jim, you will want to see these pics. vanmchugh, awesome work on the boat. I need a tig welder, well I need a welder period actually. But seriously, that boat is gonna be killer.

Thanks JK. This is something I have been wanting to do since I got the boat. I can't wait till I have a finished product. I will post pictures of my progress and please I welcome any suggestions. I really want to put some dry storage in there that would be large enough for a gun box during hunting season. However after taking out that center seat it opened up so much room that I don't want to take away from that. That's why I was thinking of putting a tackle locker in the bow and come duck season I will just use one of those bags from cabelas that attaches to the sides to hold my guns. I am just concerned about the flotation foam aspect.

You could probably come up with some type of removable storage box. You could run it along one of the sides, from your back deck forward. You could make brackets that you could bolt the box in with some bolts and wing nuts. You could make the box a stand alone piece that just bolts up and is dry storage, or make a box with no bottom that seals against the boat with some thick foam.

Of course what I just said makes sense to me, but it may not to you.

really like what your doing:
https://www.gatortraxboats.com/Accessories.htm
https://www.gatortraxboats.com/images/access/gun%20box.jpg
https://www.gatortraxboats.com/images/access/rodbox.jpg
maybe you could build something like what you find in here
nice job

Welcome Aboard, and the boat looks great! 8) . Does the gas can storage have any venting to it? You may not want to trap any vapors inside the compartment you built for it. Good idea adding the fire extinguisher, but the fumes may go boom before it actually turns into a fire. Just a thought. I didn't look at the links Zum posted yet, but I do know that Lowe boats has a gun box (lockable) for jons. I had the dealership add a 60" box on the port side my boat when I ord'd the boat. I don't keep guns in it but rather loose tackle items to keep the deck clear. You can see pics of the box at this link to my Gallery: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/images/thumbnails.php?album=68

Looks real nice =D> . Man I wish I could weld so many possibilities then. You are lucky to have the access to a welder make the most of it. Keep us posted on the progress.

Dave

Wow man! Finally got to looka the pictures. Thanks for posting them =D>

You have an incredible resource at your disposal :beer:

Please keep on taking pictures of your progress.

Does the gas can storage have any venting to it?

Yes, actually there is a small gap between the lid and the transom for that purpose. Also when I drill out the hold and put in a grommet for the fule line I am going to do it about 2.5 inches for added ventilation.

Zum, thanks for that link. TOns of great ideas from there. I think I am goining to consider a center box mounted to be easily removed right in the middle of the deck length wise. This way I have all the storage I need and it will also double as a bench seat that faces the right way for duck hunting. I can build a small false floor under the box and fill it with some foam for flotation. Thanks for all the replies guys. I knew I would get some great ideas here.

Great looking boat so far. I am voting that you should sand it all down and then polish the entire thing. :lol:

Might not be to good for ducks that way, but would sure get some looks otherwise.

Use that TIG welder as much as you can, wish I had one.

Welcome aboard.

Great start on the boat!!
What is the thickness of the aluminum sheathing your using for the flooring?

Crank'in

Gas fumes are heavier than air. So when you contain them they will hang out at the bottom of compartment. This is why people use fan to blow them away.
When I took Coast Guard safety class, they did a demo with a cottonball with gas on it on the top of 3 foot tall board, there was a track zig-zaging down to the bottom of board. The guy held lighter to bottom of board and flash--it lit up the board!!
I decided if I ever had an inboard motor, I'd go with diesel.
Be careful.
Mary

Do you have anymore progress or pics? It looks like this post kinda died... I would love to see more...