Mojo's 1995 Sea Nymph 1648

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo

Reaction score
Hey Tin Boaters,
Picked up a new project boat to fix up, my brother in laws dad needed some cash to get his AC fixed and let this one go for a steal. We decided to fix her up for a river/lake boat in Central Florida.
The brother in law has a nice bay boat we use for the gulf when we want to go chase the trout and reds but it was really kind of a beast for fresh water so now we've got this little beauty.
I've spent the last week sanding and stripping the hull to get it ready for paint, the paint that was on it was chalky and chipping like mad so it had to go. Besides it wouldn't be any fun to get a new boat and not trick it out, am i right?

So on with the pics!

IMG271.jpg
IMG256.jpg
IMG257.jpg
IMG258.jpg
IMG260.jpg
IMG280.jpg
IMG281.jpg
IMG283.jpg
IMG285.jpg

Ok first shot of color added. Now for the 24 hour dry time wait before i can sand and shoot some more... this is gonna take a while.

IMG286.jpg
IMG287.jpg

Looking great. It should really run shallow. What are you going to power it with?

Got some more pics for yall. It's of paint.. nothing exciting yet but I'm gona kind of use this as my personal progress log so you guy's get to see everything, lucky you!

Anyhow, waited the 24 hour dry time on the paint. Got out there this morning and sanded it down with a 320 sponge then did a wipe down and shot another coat of paint. It's starting to really smooth out and gloss up.
I actually went out there yesterday evening at around 8pm and tried a test sand. I thought maybe I could cut some of that dry time wait out cause its in my home made bake booth. IE the garage in central Florida all closed up.. in August. (Some of you know what i'm talking about) I bet its 120 out there. Nope wasn't ready so i had to content myself with other distractions.

Anyhow.. Here's the pics from this morning.

Back of the boat.. hadn't shown that.
IMG288.jpg
Close up of a nice big area.
IMG289.jpg

For anyone wondering I'm just using regular ole Rustoleum paint. Mixed with Acetone before shooting thru the spray gun.

Update,
Yesterday I put on the third and last coat of yellow and this morning moved on to Tape'n and shooting the next color. Here's the pic's.

Tape in place.
IMG290.jpg
I really wanted to go for more of a rounded look.. but none of the auto part stores had the nylon tape for making curves.. oh well it is what it is.
IMG291.jpg
IMG292.jpg

All masked up and the black is on.
IMG293.jpg
IMG294.jpg

2 more coats of black to go and I can move on to the hull color and get this thing turned over to start fab'n up the inside.

Pic Update.

Got it taped up a second time..
IMG295.jpg

Action shot of the main color going on..
IMG297.jpg

Looking at a paint time of about 4 days. After this first coat dries i'll sand it all smooth tomorrow morning and shoot it again. I'm planing on 4 coats total for the bottom so I should be able to flip this thing over next week sometime, then the real fun begins.

So the boat is finished being painted.. sort of. I got the last coat of white on this morning and just went out and peeled all the masking and paper off.
There is a bit of overspray here and there and i'm going to have to do some touching up but I'm super happy with how it turned out.. here's the pics!
IMG301.jpg
IMG302.jpg
IMG303.jpg
IMG304.jpg

That looks pretty dang awesome! I say that you did very well. One of these days I will actually paint a boat some color other than duck boat drab. I'm just waiting for the right deal on the right tin.

Alright.. been a few days. I got the touch ups done and then shot a couple of coats of clear over the whole boat. Then we put a nice coat of marine wax on it and got it flipped over and back on the trailer. Now its time to start working on all the mods to the interior.

Enjoy the pics.

All cleaned up and waxed.
IMG307.jpg

Back on the trailer.
IMG310.jpg
IMG311.jpg

Started framing out the front casting deck / storage area. Was pretty busy on it the last two days but didn't get as much done as I would have liked... football started today so I was parked on the couch for a while.

I don't want to attach to the hull anywhere cause I don't have any solid rivets and don't want to mess up my spiffy paint job. So what I decided to do was just add vertical risers to the ribs and build off of that. A good amount of time was spent cutting them off level and making sure they matched on opposite sides. It was tricky cause the ribs are kicked back at an angle up front to conform to the hull. Anyhow It's done and its all level. I've decided that the new bane of this build is going to be cutting and drilling out brackets, I spent more time cutting brackets and drilling holes out in them and the spars than anything else.

If your going to be doing alot of rivets go spend the money and get a air rivet gun... that thing was worth every bit of money I paid for it. On to the pic's...

IMG312.jpg
Put my seat mount up there just to see how it would look. Still have some bracing to do on the back rail, but i've got to figure some stuff out first.
IMG313.jpg
The risers I made are just a piece of 1.5" square stock i cut one side out of then pounded around the rib with the mini sledge.
IMG314.jpg
This thing is awesome!

Got the rod locker area built today. If your wondering why i just didn't go ahead and take out the center bench all together there is a reason. The livewell is already located there and Its got a thru hull open to the bottom of the boat and i really didn't feel like messing with it or moving it. So i just cut the left side of the middle bench out. I've left enough space for someone to sit on that bench and get their feet on the floor facing fwd.

Also i got to shed a little blood today for the boat gods. The angle grinder with a metal cutting blade jumped on me while i was cutting out that bench and got ahold of my left middle finger. It could have been ALOT worse... wear your safety equipment yo. I got a pretty good cut but if I hadn't of had my gloves on then it probably would have taken it down to the bone.

On to the pictures.

IMG315.jpg
Half a bench seat gone.
IMG316.jpg
Locker framework aft to fwd.
IMG317.jpg
More Locker.
IMG318.jpg
Wear your Gloves! (and Eyes and Ears)

Last two day's have been busy. I got the back hatch/deck area mocked up and built. The only thing not done is the hinge which i'm waiting to install after i do the carpet. Blue painters tape made for a nice hinge stand in just to test it out. We also got two of the seat mounts installed and we put the outboard on so that I could check that i wouldn't have any issues opening the hatch up. Were going to drive it over to the lake tomorrow and give it a test run. I'll be sure to take pictures.

Here's the good stuff you all crave.

Couple of shots of the build.
IMG319.jpg
IMG320.jpg
The ghetto blue tape hinge.
IMG321.jpg
IMG322.jpg
Two of the seat mounts. There will be a third one in the center to put a pole in but i didn't feel like messing with it today. It's too hot out in the garage.
IMG323.jpg
Seats and motor installed ready for the test ride.
IMG324.jpg

Ok it cooled down enough for me to get out there and do the third seat mount. The other two were done this way I didn't document those so this time I went ahead and took pictures of how I braced up the underside of the bench seat. The bench is only .08 inch thick so any screws you put in it to hold your seat bases in would just strip out in no time.. it needed to be beefed up.

I can't claim I was smart enough to work this out on my own. I saw it on here on someone else's build and remembered it.. but I wanted to go ahead and post what I did in case someone else hadn't seen that one. Can't hurt to have the info be in two places.

First i put the base down and figured out where I wanted it then marked the holes for reference. Then i cut a nice sized hole out of the center using a jig saw. In the picture the left hand brace is already under the seat between the bench and the foam. The one going in is to the right. I made the braces out of 1/4" bar stock. The seat base's are 7" long so I made the brace's 9". I marked them center line with a nice big X, this is going to come in handy a little later. I also went ahead and drilled the holes out for where the rivets are going to go into the brace to hold it in place.
IMG325.jpg

Slide that thing up in there.
IMG326.jpg

Stick the other side in and slide it back down so you can center up the X.
IMG327.jpg

Now push the brace in evenly and watch thru your holes that you drilled out for the rivets till you can see the line thats running along the center long ways. Line that up with both of your pre-drilled holes and that brace should be pretty much centered under the seat. Push down on it to hold it in place then drill on thru the brace and insert your rivets. Now that brace is nice and lined up center under the marks you made for your seat base holes. Put the base down drill your holes and put in your Stainless screws and your done!
IMG328.jpg

Took her out for the shake down cruise today. Learned some things in the process.

1. The motor won't idle right, I tried to adjust it out on the water and couldn't ever get it to run smooth so It's going to have to go to the shop for a tune up. I need someone who know's what they are doing to mess with it. I'm an electronics guy not a small engine guy.

2. I need a good amount of weight up in the bow. My Dad went with me and with both of us in the back It wouldn't get up on plane, as soon as he moved to the center it leveled out and we were good to go. SO that being said. He's pushing 260... i was planing on both batteries up there and the TM and assorted gear, also the framing is only half done and the decks aren't on yet.

3. It was pretty stable in the water. I'm not worried about the hight of the deck now. I got up on the framework and moved around and didn't get tossed in or feel like it was to squirrly.

4. That 20HP Merc does a good job of pushing her thru the water. The avg speed was 22 and it would jump up to 23 or so with a tail wind and some smooth water. That's plenty fast to get us to the fishing holes. I figure I may loose a couple mph after everything is in the boat but still 20 is a good round number.

5. No leaks! There was no water in the bottom of the boat after we pulled it out.

Here's some pictures.

This one is a little blurry. My Bro-in-law took it with his cell and sent it to me.
imagejpeg_0_2.jpg

Nice Clean wake..
IMG331.jpg

22 Even!
IMG330.jpg

Latest posts