Redo - 12ft 1950 Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Busbey

Reaction score
Original Build - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20339

Happy but not. 2 years ago i made this out of wood and not too thrilled with the outcome. Nothing is as I now realize I want. I am asking for everyone's input on this and how I should go this round.

I think aluminum will be my frame choice this time. My frustration is how to attach the top of the frame to the side of boat. I have a $20 rivet gun and did a decent job with what i needed to rivet previously, though my knowledge isn't enough to help me with this question. Below, look at the top of the frame, how was this done? Maybe not the exact way, but how would I do this on mine?

aa.jpg

Here is the dimensions of my boat.

002.JPG

Here are some ideas that I like

I'm thinking storage on left and right. Small cooler and possible livewell? Seat in center with batteries in middle, right in front of seat.
battery+front+-+seat-+side+storage.jpg

I like the idea of the switch panel in the middle, for when i am running the outboard and by myself and need to turn something on or off
center+controls+not+in+front+only.jpg

another idea is batteries in center somewhere with a lid for access
central+battery+storage.jpg

The front compartment would be for small plastic lure storage, hooks, weights, etc.
fron+compartment+for+tackle+boxes+with+lock.jpg

Not sure if there is room or not since it is only a 12ft boat, but I like the idea of this on the side for rods, somehow
safety+and+dry+side+storage.jpg

I know this is odd asking you guys to help me fill all my desires out of this boat and unable to see and point and talk but this is what a forum and cameras are for huh?!!

Lastly is a few pictures of my hollow hull with no deck in. These are obviously in the link up top, but easier to see this way

boat.JPG

IMG_00013.jpg

IMG_00010.jpg

IMG_00008.jpg

IMG_00005.jpg

IMG_00004.jpg

id be inclined to not mount the deck to the gunwale at all. those curves can be a sonofabitch to work with. if you did it right, you could just build a platform that mounts to the stringers on the bottom of the hull but not the sides.

if it were my boat, id just make up a frame that sits on top of the benches that are already in the boat. that would be a nice big casting deck. its as good a start as any, and is tied mechanically to the sides and bottom of the hull so it would be very solid. you could put your seat in the middle of the deck and do hatches in the deck area between the two benches. seems ready made if you ask me.

OK, so if I am correct, your saying to keep the middle and front seat in place. Build an aluminum frame between the two, frame out my side storage boxes and screw the plywood to the aluminum frame. I would not need any rivets on the side of the boat since the seats are acting as supports for this.

for the back, start at the front of the rear seat, go all the way to the rear, about 1/2 inch away with aluminum framing. would the back, near transom, be sturdy enough if i attach the lower frame to the stringers?

ideally, i want this in the rear, with the hatches for gas and lift vests. Just not sure how I would get the support next to the transom.

file.php

file.php

file.php

if you connected the deck to the transom with some sturdy tube or angle, then yes it would be plenty sturdy. just imagine what it would take to build a deck- joists here and there with posts at certain intervals to transfer force to the ground. only difference is youre transferring force to the hull, not the ground.

I cant believe nobody noticed this yet but before I even thought about any kind of decking, storage etc.... I would fix the most obvious thing that needs some attention ASAP!!! replace that transom!!!!!!! that would have been the first thing I did in the first go round.... but after that if you want storage up front under a deck of some sort you could use the front 2 benches as support with very minimal support added between benches. hard to tell from the pics but almost every bow bench ive seen sits lower than the front bench so you would have to make a spacer/riser of sort so the deck would be level. this should give ya an Idea to think about. you could use the front bench for storage boxes etc... and still have all the room under the deck. unless your a very big guy or im reading your dimensions wrong this would be plenty solid enough and pretty cheap.fhgjm.png

I read both threads and honestly am at a loss for what you want to do differently. Your post looks like you are asking us what we want in your boat if it was our boat, not what you want in your boat.

It's a small hull and I doubt it'll do everything you want. Keep it simple and enjoyable. Don't over build it.

I wouldn't deck it high at all, maybe something mounted to the bottom of the middle seat going forward to support a flat casting deck.

I don't see any reason to run more than one battery and it will sit proudly in a black box where ever you strap it. Back side of the middle bench would do it for me.

I'd do a flat middle floor there as well, something simple on top of the ribs to keep the tackle bags out of the wet.

Life jackets would get strapped under the bow cover for the trolling motor, fire extinguisher would be up there as well.

For rods I'd bore through the rear bench and use the golf bag liners for the tips and just bungy strap them to the middle bench. That's how my jet boat is and it works very well at keeping the rods safe and out of the way.

I'd have 2 nice swivel seats and a couple pin bases. Again, this is how I configured my hull and it works great at keeping the clutter out of the way.

Gas tank doesn't need covered, actually shouldn't be covered. Strap a little trash can in the other corner and keep a scoop back there as well.

This is great, thanks! I need the two batteries for sure, one for trolling and fish finder. The other as a backup and for the electric start outboard. I like the idea you have going here, pretty much what i figured i would do. Nice to see if on paper though. What program did you use?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=331381#p331381 said:
shawnfish » Yesterday, 05:56[/url]"]I cant believe nobody noticed this yet but before I even thought about any kind of decking, storage etc.... I would fix the most obvious thing that needs some attention ASAP!!! replace that transom!!!!!!! that would have been the first thing I did in the first go round.... but after that if you want storage up front under a deck of some sort you could use the front 2 benches as support with very minimal support added between benches. hard to tell from the pics but almost every bow bench ive seen sits lower than the front bench so you would have to make a spacer/riser of sort so the deck would be level. this should give ya an Idea to think about. you could use the front bench for storage boxes etc... and still have all the room under the deck. unless your a very big guy or im reading your dimensions wrong this would be plenty solid enough and pretty cheap.

Latest posts