1996 16' Lund Laker Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rscottp

Reaction score
IMGP2731.jpgHi all, great site! I love checking out all the projects! I have had my boat for over 13 years and I love it. It had developed quite a few leaks from the pounding I have given it fishing around Martha's Vineyard and I was thinking that its days were numbered. I found this site and decided to attempt a fix. I replaced leaky rivets with SS nuts, bolts and 5200. Then 2 coats of Gluvit on the inside. No leaks! I have decided to do restoration and mod on the boat for next season.

Gluvit paint on outside, reconfigure inside(center console, rod storage, ect.).

Boat has been set up as a tiller but I am going to convert it to remote, I know I am giving up some space but after this season I knew I had to make a change. I fly fish most of the time for breaking fish. You have to drive to the fish and cast quickly, I am just getting too old to keep jumping back and forth from the back of the boat to the middle to cast. I am also sick of the twisting involved in the tiller steering. Still not 100% set on final design but this site has given me some great ideas.

Interior stripped and off the trailer. Need to get some help to flip it over.

Attachments

• IMG_4512.jpg
    IMG_4512.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 14,855
  • IMG_2320.jpg
    IMG_2320.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 14,854
  • IMG_2179.jpg
    IMG_2179.jpg
    673.9 KB · Views: 14,854
Thats the plan, I would like to have a small center console in front of the forward casting deck. Should be small enough so that I can get up there if I need too.

Got it flipped today. Time to get going with the wire wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_8507.jpeg
    IMG_8507.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 14,773
  • IMG_4015.jpeg
    IMG_4015.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 14,773
Wire wheels are fun...I got after mine with it yesterday and got a 24"x48" area down to bare aluminum in an hour. At that rate I have another 10 hours...

2 1/2 hours with the angle grinder later! Found a few areas of pitting and small holes that need to be addressed.

Attachments

• IMG_3039.jpeg
    IMG_3039.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 14,703
  • IMG_8525.jpeg
    IMG_8525.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 14,703
Looks like a cool project. One thought, would it be better to have a rear casting deck on a V hull vs. the front? The rear deck is wider / stabler and easier to pop up onto. I think a setup like my jet boat console would work well. I have a small mid hull well and larger mid height decks front and rear. The center console on mine is in the middle of the boat and has a grab rail that make moving around very safe.

Your boat is awesome. I like the console you made, grab rail is very sturdy looking. My console will be a bit closer to the front, I am going to deck over the back. There will be storage for fuel/battery and a built in cooler(made from old live well). The casting deck in the front is pretty stable but I don't really use it much, the storage under deck is a necessity. My dog Jack likes to ride up there.

Nice warm day here in New England. Finished most of the wire wheeling with the grinder. Patched small holes and pitting with Marine-tex white, I ran a little short and need to get a bit more.

Attachments

• IMG_8525.jpeg
    IMG_8525.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 14,644
  • IMG_3039.jpeg
    IMG_3039.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 14,644
  • IMG_2588.jpg
    IMG_2588.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 14,644
  • IMG_2583.jpg
    IMG_2583.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 14,644
Weather in the mid 50's today. Just put a coat of Gluvit on the seams and rivets. I need to watch the forecast for a day warm enough for painting. I really wish I had a heated garage! I also have a space heater under the hull to add a bit more warmth.

Attachments

• IMG_2595.jpeg
    IMG_2595.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 14,430
  • IMG_2594.jpeg
    IMG_2594.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 14,430
Ever consider stick steering? No console taking up space and no tiller, it's something to consider.

I did think about the stick steer but I think I have my heart set on the center console. I plan to stand 80% of the time but think I will put in a pedestal base just in case.

I put a coat of 1 part epoxy oil based paint on today. It claims to be waterproof and can be used on bare aluminum. I used a foam roller to apply. I will get one more coat on the bottom in the next day or so. Hope the stuff works as advertised.

Attachments

• IMG_2620.jpg
    IMG_2620.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 14,330
  • IMG_2622.jpg
    IMG_2622.jpg
    749.8 KB · Views: 14,330
  • IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 14,330
I managed to get the boat off the trailer and flipped back over yesterday. I decided to remove and rebuild the front deck. I started to clean up the inside with the grinder. I found some corrosion and pitting where debris collected against the edge of the hull and the floor. I also found a couple spots in the back where the waterlogged foam was.

Attachments

• IMG_2643.jpg
    IMG_2643.jpg
    464.8 KB · Views: 2,501
  • IMG_2641.jpg
    IMG_2641.jpg
    613.4 KB · Views: 2,501
  • IMG_2640.jpg
    IMG_2640.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 2,501
I really like the hull you are working with. We dont have many lunds in my area.
Yours will look good.

Thanks, I really like the hull. It is a pretty stable platform and it has kept me alive out in some seas that I should not have been in. We don't see that many tin boats in the salt but half the ones we see are lunds.

I could use a bit of advice. I took the cap off the transom today, the plywood was wet but didn't seem rotten. Even so I want to replace it since I have everything apart. The issue I have is the 2 drain holes for the splash pan. They go through the 1 3/4" transom and I will have to destroy them to get them out. I am wondering how to install the new ones and where to purchase new ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I will post a couple pics of it all tomorrow

Thanks!

Did a little research with the google machine, found some replacement drain tubes. They also sell a flanging tool but I don't want to spend $30 on something I will use once. I would love to hear any ideas about an easy way to flange the replacement tubes.
https://www.boatersplus.com/moeller-aluminum-drain-tube-1-x-1-7-8-021002188d.html

Latest posts