First build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texasbred

Reaction score
New here, I've had plenty of boats mostly aluminum and two fiberglass bass boats. A Bass Cat and Skeeter. My most recent Weldbilt 1548 kept cracking welds and cracking in spots where there were no welds and I just sold my Bass Cat last week. So I decided to buy me a new aluminum hull. I picked up an Alweld 1648F .100 ga. No real options, nothing fancy. My previous boats have usually already been modified to my liking, whether it be a hunting boat or bass boat. This boat will pull multiple duties as a bass boat, duck boat, crappie boat, trotline rig, shallow water, creek running and bow fishing. I hope to have it done before I move to Toledo Bend in the summer. Plans are: Lights of course(NAV and a 12" LED lightbar), fiberglass paneling floor covered with a hydro turf alternative, deck and bench will be covered also, 5 gang toggle switch panel install, jack plate or pt-130 T&T depending on if I re-power. Power Pole micro anchors and lots of seat bases for hunting and fishing versatility.
This is all I have so far:

1474592_635027559873306_1127125688_n by texas_bred83, on Flickr

1525504_635114933197902_224977627_n by texas_bred83, on Flickr

I had to modify the trailer some to fit the bigger boat. I'm debating on buying a new trailer but I hate to spend the money for the trailer to just sit under a tree at Toledo Bend while the boat stays in the boat house.

Wiring, light install, and possibly floors will start tomorrow.

Great looking boat. Plenty of room I see. I was about to say you might think about upgrading the trailer but then you stated you were thinking about it towards the bottom of the post. But if you won't be using it much I wouldn't bother. If you were to be towing a lot I would.

Well I didn't get all the supplies I wanted today but they are on the way. I did get most of the boat wired, including my NAV lights, trolling motor and LED light bar. The paint on my nav lights wasn't quite dry but the wires are there waiting on them to be mounted. I have come up with a temporary mounting solution for my switch panel, I'll post pics of that tomorrow. And I have an Idea to cover the 1.25" hole I drilled for wires, hopefully I'll have it done tomorrow also. All the light wires are 12ga and the trolling motor wires are 8ga.

Here is all I have so far:

Untitled by texas_bred83, on Flickr

I should have more done tomorrow including rod holders, temporary toggle panel mount(will use excess floor material for permanent mounting). I'll have all the lights painted and mounted tomorrow also.

nctlspider said:
Great bones to start your build. Looks like you are going to be having fun. WHat size is that motor?

Good luck and we'll be waiting for updates! :D

It's a modified Suzuki 25 hp triple cylinder. It should be putting out around 40 hp.

DrNip said:
Great looking boat. Plenty of room I see. I was about to say you might think about upgrading the trailer but then you stated you were thinking about it towards the bottom of the post. But if you won't be using it much I wouldn't bother. If you were to be towing a lot I would.

I will be towing some until I get moved to the lake, no further than 2 hours though. I think I will just be getting better tire. Once we move the boat will live in the boat house 99% of the time.

Well for now the wiring is done, all the lights and the bilge work. Got the nav lights painted and mounted and got the LED light bar mounted, drilled the holes and mounted the trolling motor(yesterday it was just sitting up there). Took the boat on a test run and it was blowing out/cavitating really bad and pumping air into the water pump, adjusted the tilt down two holes(it was all the way up). The motor acted up once motor but we were almost back to the ramp so I just loaded up.

My water pump didn't seem to be pumping a good stream so when we got home I went to check the thermostat. Two broken bolts later I got the thermostat out and it looks like the factory one installed in 1997. I'll work on that more tomorrow.

Hopefully I will pick up my lumber tomorrow and maybe the rain will hold off so I can do the floor, move the battery to the front and do a little camo painting.

Wiring at the battery is a mess right now but all that will be changed soon.

I did clip the zip tie ends, just took the pic first.

Hopefully my paint will be dry on my hole cover and I can install it tomorrow.

12" LED lightbar

Not the temporary mounting that I had planned but it'll do for now.

Country Dave said:
Hey nice boat,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your build.

Thanks

Finished my hole cover but don't have it installed yet. Also played with some different camo patterns/looks. I was kind of confined to the garage today because of weather. I'll be painting the boat next but I have to wait until we get the old beat up hull out of my garage, turning it into a floating blind.

Here are a few pics.
This one is an option for me but without the tan grass.

I tried the grass but not feeling it

My hole cover, should be installed tomorrow

I think I'm going with this pattern, but with a better grey. All I had with me was a bright primer.

Where'd you get that led light bar? I like the way it sits up off of the bow. I wouldn't mind having one of those on my boat.

fishingmich said:
Where'd you get that led light bar? I like the way it sits up off of the bow. I wouldn't mind having one of those on my boat.

I got it from a place online called Exploration Outfitters. It's a combo spot/flood 12 bulb. I like it now, but at first I had lots of wiring harness problems. The wiring harness is made for vehicles and was designed to be sheltered, not exposed to the elements of duck hunting.

Been out of country for a little bit. Got one side of the boat painted and most of the motor. Hopefully i can finish up tomorrow and maybe the sun will shine for better pictures. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391387742.636248.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1391387759.734617.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1391387778.268414.jpg

build looks great so far. did you buy the alweld new? if so do you mind me asking how much you paid for it? ive been pricing out some 1648 tins over the last week or 2 and most of the companies and dealers wont list prices online.

Yes I am really likening your boat too.I want to see it when you are done with the floor init

Latest posts