My build - A Series of Unfortunate Events

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffco

Reaction score
I'll get to the specs and before-pics in a bit, but first, a sample of my work. Who can spot the mistake?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348443#p348443 said:
stevesecotec02 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:03 pm[/url]"]your hub looks bass akwards
Yep.

stevesecotec02 said:
your hub looks bass akwards

It doesn't just look that way brother, it is.

You ever stare at something you did wrong as it slowly sinks in, but you still try to mentally will it to be right?

Yeah. Anyway, pics next. I have an '87 Alumacraft 1457, 9.9 HP Nissan (1992 vintage). The PO made a few mods that I thought I liked to begin with, until I found this forum.

The trolling motor mount is kind of rickity now because the rivets have wallowed out some. I want this mounted differently. Also the foot control was screwed to the rib.

The winch post needs work. The roller doesn't even contact the boat.

And the PO moved the roller mount down a couple times indicated by the ripped out holes.

PO took out the front bench and added the seat pedestal. It's open in the front which is handy for stuffing life vests in.

But the live well... I thought I liked it, but it's a fish cooker. Water gets too warm and fish die pretty quickly in it. Thinking about taking it out but this is the most nerve wrecking part because it will require welding.

Now check this out. I'm assuming the welded aluminum struts strengthen the transom and I'm considering a 15-20 Yamaha four stroke. What do you guys think about these? They take up a lot of room that could be better utilized. I'd love some opinions on this especially.

Final mod from the PO, sliding rear seat. It kinda works and is handy for tiller steering without having your left hand chicken winging behind your back.

Sorry for the multiple posts. First thing I'm doing is sanding and painting, trailer and boat. The hubs were repainted and had new bearings, seals, and Bearing Buddies installed. If only I had sense enough to install them right side in. :)

Thanks for looking.

When you say 1457 im assuming the beam is 57" so tje floor is 36". If so the 9.9 should do plenty and i wouldnt go bigger than a 15hp 2 stroke. A fourstroke that size is just too **** heavy on a small boat. Those transom braces look like overkill to me and probably add 20lbs to the transom. Maybe you could leave livewell and fill it with ice to be used as a cooler. The bow stop roller is useless on a flatbottom get a piece of 2x4 for the bow to.rest against. Good luck and have fun with your build.

The old live well could be used as a nice dry storage box. If the trolling motor still runs good I'd look around for a used Gator mount. Easier operation + it has the break away feature which in most cases will keep the shaft from bending if you hit something. If you look around you can find one for $100 or less. The transom braces are a little crazy; if it were up to me I'd redo that because they take up quite a bit of room. Cool boat it is going to be a neat project to watch! :D

stevesecotec02 said:
When you say 1457 im assuming the beam is 57" so tje floor is 36".

That is correct. I was puzzled by this too but that's what the spec sticker says on the side. 1457. Did Acraft just label them that way? But in any case yeah, it's a 36" deck.

About the transom, I'm clueless about them. I'm worried about removing the braces and why the PO put them there in the first place.

If I remove them, should I add knee braces at the bottom?

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=348480#p348480 said:
Buffco » Today, 05:32[/url]"]
stevesecotec02 said:
When you say 1457 im assuming the beam is 57" so tje floor is 36".

That is correct. I was puzzled by this too but that's what the spec sticker says on the side. 1457. Did Acraft just label them that way? But in any case yeah, it's a 36" deck.

About the transom, I'm clueless about them. I'm worried about removing the braces and why the PO put them there in the first place.

If I remove them, should I add knee braces at the bottom?

The PO was most likely running over the HP rating and wanted more support. I would not worry about removing them plus it looks like there are two knee braces on there that look stock. JMHP

Thanks. I feel more confident removing them now. Going to save a lot of space.

I have a few questions:

1) What are you guys using to secure aluminum angle to the ribs in your floor to make a flat bed? Pop rivets? SST screws? I've looked at several builds but can't find what is being used.

2) Can I use my air hammer to buck solid rivets? It seems from my research I may need to buy a regulator to lower the PSI at the hammer from 90 to about 25-40.

3) If using my air hammer is OK, does anyone have a link for the hammer to use? All I have for my air hammer are typical demo chisels.

4) Finally, when using solid rivets, do you put any kind of sealant on the exterior on the rivet tail? Before or after bucking? Or does bucking it seal up the hole watertight?

5) What size solid rivets and where do you order them? Sorry, I'd only ever heard of and used blind/pop rivets.

Welcome. Personally if the live well gets too hot for fish, it may not work for a cooler either. That being said, why not add a layer or two of insulation with a skin of aluminum. This will keep it from getting too warm and then could double as a cooler. Just a thought.
As for the transom. It looks pretty stout. How is the original transom? Is the wood rotted? If not I'd say your probably OK. Sometimes people recognize a problem with a rotted transom, buy don't know how to fix it. I've seen many done like that.
The bow stop can be changed to a board as stated above.
As far as using an air hammer for rivets, I'm not sure. I do know you don't need any sealant on them.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Do you guys use blind rivets to put aluminum angle across the ribs to build up a floor? Sorry for so many questions. I've been perusing this forum for a couple months, admiring the builds, but there are a couple of things that I've not seen an answer to.

Thanks.

Latest posts