1976 Lowe Line 14ft Semi V build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Begeti

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Found the site about a month ago and I have been addicted every since! Just purchased my first boat a 1976 Lowe Line 14ft Semi V with a 9.2hp Chrysler tiller and trailer. Everything is in pretty good shape. A few dings on the boat but nothing crazy. Got the motor running today, just replaced that plugs and ran great. Previous owner used some kind of sealer on the seams and rivets on the inside and outside. I plan to clean it all up and add a paint job. I want to build a large rear deck for my wife to tan on. This was a stipulation of buying a project boat! But I'm fine with that. Want to build another deck in front, but smaller and lower. I plan to use it for bass fishing and crappie/bluegill slaying in the numerous small lakes around central Iowa. Thanks for letting me share my experience. I am looking forward to any feedback or insight from other members during my project!
-------
Also the beam is 54" and about 40" at the floor. Is this normal for a 14ft? It seems narrower than average.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 4,886
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 4,885
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 4,885
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 4,885
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 4,885
First task was removing the center bench. Not as easy removing old rivets as I thought!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 4,786
Sweet boat. Your boat doesn't seem to narrow to me; looks about average length and width for a 14ft boat. Mine is on the small side of a 14ft boat 13ft 6in. Count yourself lucky you don't have to scrape layers of paint off. I filled an old group 27 size battery box full of old paint that I scraped off. Still scraping paint off ( ignore my ramblings :LOL2: ). I'm kind of doing the same thing to mine, adding a front casting deck so I can bass and crappie fish easier. It looks like its going to be a great project can't wait to see progress. :D

I have a 1987 Lowe 14 Skipper. Same exact measurements as yours. Seems a little narrow to me also. I Haven't had a chance to take it out since I got it so no idea about the stability of the boat.

I have a 1989 Grumman Renegade that I decided to update this winter.
Rather than replace the carpet I'm using a rubberized material in the boat floor and side areas, it called Tuff Coat. You may want to check into that for a coating versus carpet or just paint. Still used carpet on the decks. I know now that when this carpet needs replacing I will use the Tuff Coat material.
Checkout the site I created for the project I did.
The link is in my signature.

Enjoy the boat.

So the previous owner coated the bottom on the inside and all if the seams and rivets on the outside. He said it was some sort of marine product. At this point it's ugly and peeling so I am starting to wire wheel it off.
------
The question I had: Do I need to get every last spec of this stuff off or am I okay by getting most of it with a few left but of course smooth to the touch?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,701
The grinder weighs a ton! My forearms are killing me!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,692
About 1/4 left with the grinder, then need to get in the nooks and crannies. Whatever the previous owner used to seal the boat is a CHORE to get off. I will be interested to do a water leak test when I'm done. The product obviously got into the seams that I'll never be able to get out' so I'm curious if it won't leak as it didn't before.
Question for everyone: do you suggest priming, painting then build my deck framing. Build my deck framing first, or prime then build my deck framing and paint last. I kind of figured if I paint first it will get all banged up while I'm still working on the decking. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 4,574
Now that I'm done grinding and cleaning the exterior I've decided on my next steps. I plan to prime the entire boat and apply my bottom side paint. Once this is done I am going to build my framing for the boat. I'm waiting to paint my topside incase I need to drill any holes. I want to paint them all at once. Here is a copy of my plans. I know it looks a little busy but I think it will go well. I welcome any feedback or suggestions as I know everyone learns a lot from experience! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398315415.195943.jpg

Also I'm unsure if I want a livewell. I bass fish but I don't fish tournaments. If I get into panfish I will want to keep them.

Marine-tex is the toughest epoxy paste I have ever seen. When I used it last year I accidentally got a couple drips of it in my ss sink and it was almost impossible to remove it after it cured.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349926#p349926 said:
Southern Appal » 24 Apr 2014, 02:09[/url]"]Is that stuff you're working so hard to remove MarineTek, by any chance?

I'm note sure as it's been on there for a while. It's not fun AT ALL to remove! It's a pretty thick rubbery material. It doesn't really peel off at all. I am going to leak test the tin here soon. The material stayed in the rivets and seams. I wasn't going to work that hard to remove all of it. My guess is it will still do it's job and keep the boat dry.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349935#p349935 said:
Begeti » 24 Apr 2014, 07:47[/url]"]
Southern Appal » 24 Apr 2014, 02:09[/url]"]Is that stuff you're working so hard to remove MarineTek, by any chance?

I'm note sure as it's been on there for a while. It's not fun AT ALL to remove! It's a pretty thick rubbery material. It doesn't really peel off at all. I am going to leak test the tin here soon. The material stayed in the rivets and seams. I wasn't going to work that hard to remove all of it. My guess is it will still do it's job and keep the boat dry.
Probably some type of caulk or 5200, Marine-tex is hard.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349957#p349957 said:
rscottp » 24 Apr 2014, 08:40[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=349935#p349935 said:
Begeti » 24 Apr 2014, 07:47[/url]"]

Probably some type of caulk or 5200, Marine-tex is hard.

Yeah, I was able to peel a few pieces off like caulk, but is much harder thank caulk when it's set.

I got the transom out tonight. Not fun at all. It slid down, but the 2 boards would not clear the edge. Ended up using my favorite tool the reciprocating saw! I have no idea how I'm going to get the new one in.ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398649240.120626.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398649252.386475.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1398649266.936165.jpg