12 Ft Jon Boat duck hunting project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

towmater84

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this site but wanted to see what everyone thought about my project. I recently purchased a 12ft jon boat from a buddy. It was in ok shape but there was a lot of leaks. There was about a 2-3" hole in the back weld on the transom that I ended up using JB waterweld for as well as a few minor pin holes in the rails. I started off with a boat load of leaks and now im down to 2 leaks left. I purchased a small trailer for it last week and needless to say it needed some TLC also. But the trailer is finished, painted and the lights work so i'm back to focusing on the boat. I was wondering how big of a motor could or should I put on the boat? I've heard as big as a 10hp and as little as a trolling motor. I plan on using this mostly for duck hunting and fishing. Any ideas or suggestions on what is good or bad for this boat is helpful. Thanks in advance. I will post completed trailer photos as well as photos of the boat on here soon.

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,675
  • photo 1 (2).jpg
    photo 1 (2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,675
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,675
Where do you hunt? If it is a ice cold water environment I would rethink the water weld fix, you don't want to end up in freezing water

I currently hunt in washington state but eventually I will make my way back to the midwest, Illinois, Wisconsin, Indiana area. That's a little more out there for now. Here are more pictures of the trailer finished and the boat. Figured I would add some guides to the side to help when loading it up by myself.

Attachments

• photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,620
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,620
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,620
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,620
So it's been a while since I updated anything, however I am finally complete with my project. The trailer is all painted with new boards, carpet, guides w/ reflectors, winch rope, and tiedowns. The boat has no more leaks, a fresh new coat of forrest green paint with tan reeds painted on it and ready just in time for opening day of duck season this year. Also forgot to add that the 55lb trolling motor I got with the boat is fixed also. When I purchased the boat, the trolling motor would not go in reverse and the battery was dying faster than normal. We would get about 30 minutes of use before having to paddle our way back to shore. Come to find out 3 wires melted together and were pulling power when they didn't need to. Fixed that and now it works like a charm. Couldn't be happier. I've got my eyes on a 4hp Johnson right now and should have it here within the week(if it doesn't get sold). =D>

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_1446.jpg
    IMG_1446.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_1451.jpg
    IMG_1451.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,172
  • IMG_1456.jpg
    IMG_1456.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,172
I ended up taking the water weld out because there was a bigger hole than i thought. I replaced it with Belzona 1221 Super E-Metal 2 part mix. I can tell you I will never look back on the waterweld. Its worth the money and last forever. I have used it on serveral other things as well and have had no issues. Look it up on google and it will pull up no problem. Best of luck with it.

which one are you saying you liked , the water weld or the Belzona 1221 Super E-Metal 2 part mix? Didnt quite understand sorry.

The Belzona 1221. It works wonders and only takes 3 minutes to set. Good in emergency situations.