masterbaiters 14 foot build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterbaiter

Reaction score
I picked up this old boat last year on the barter section of craigslist after swapping even for a 35 dollar engine that "didn't run" after a 20 minute carb clean the motor fired up nicely. I used the boat all last season for fishing trips with the wife and kids and she doesn't leak a drop. I came across this website and got inspired by all of you to do some work to my old tin. The knowledge and skill you all have with your builds is incredible and I learned a lot from spending countless hours reading upon everyone's builds. The horribly long NY winter has postponed my buld until this past week. I took some time today and started working on my boat and heres what I have done so far.

Attachments

• 202.jpg
    202.jpg
    591.7 KB · Views: 3,713
  • 200.jpg
    200.jpg
    574.5 KB · Views: 3,713
  • 201.jpg
    201.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 3,713
  • 203.jpg
    203.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 3,713
after 2 cans of aircraft remover, lots of sanding and leak test I decided to pick up a gallon of the rustoleum high gloss gray paint and get to work "with the help of 4 and 6 year old kids" The rustoleum paint goes on real nice and after 3 coats I was impressed with the results

Attachments

• 207.jpg
    207.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 3,710
  • 208.jpg
    208.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 3,710
  • 209.jpg
    209.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 3,710
  • 224.jpg
    224.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 3,710
i used a paintbrush to paint the boat i think a roller would have been alot easier to paint the boat to get rid of the brush strokes but over all it looks good. whats a good site for resizing pics. i have a ton more pics of my deck and floor but tried to upload them and there oversized. i downloaded some program and it crashed my whole computer and i lost everything i had saved after i did a system recovery #-o

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350779#p350779 said:
masterbaiter » 30 Apr 2014, 23:40[/url]"]i used a paintbrush to paint the boat i think a roller would have been alot easier to paint the boat to get rid of the brush strokes but over all it looks good. whats a good site for resizing pics. i have a ton more pics of my deck and floor but tried to upload them and there oversized. i downloaded some program and it crashed my whole computer and i lost everything i had saved after i did a system recovery #-o
Easiest way I found to resize my pics was to email them to myself, I was able to send as a much smaller file.

thanks for the tip rscottp 8)
i decided on removing the center bench seat to make room for a place for my kids to roam while they get bored and a rod locker.The seat came out in a breeze and the foam under the seat was loaded with mouse holes and all sorts of stuff stuffed up in there. i just wanted a basic idea of what the floor and decks would look like so i cut the 2x3's to measure and attached them to themselves using ss screws.I didnt cut the lower supports yet because i just wanted to see if i was happy with the layout.The transom on the boat had a hole drilled through the top from the previous owner and over the winter it developed a crack through the top of the aluminum where your motor would mount so i went to harbor freight and purchased some alumnaweld.I have never used this stuff and its a total pain in the *** to work with.My welds look like a 4 year old did them but they seem real solid and i just have to grind them down and repaint.

Attachments

• alumnaweld.jpg
    alumnaweld.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 3,573
  • boat crack.jpg
    boat crack.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,573
  • boat floor.jpg
    boat floor.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 3,573
  • floor 1.jpg
    floor 1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 3,573
  • rear casting.jpg
    rear casting.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 3,573
  • casting deck.jpg
    casting deck.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 3,573
  • transom crack 2.jpg
    transom crack 2.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 3,573
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 3,573
i cut all my plywood this afternoon but didnt take any pics due to this week long rain we have been getting.when the weather breaks i will have more pics to come

longshot said:
It's looking good. That thing rides pretty high on the trailer does'nt it?

It did when I bought it. I removed the ghetto boat lift kit and just redid the bunkers on the trailer and its sitting normal now.

How does that alumaweld work? I have looked at it but I have not been able to get myself to buy it. I have a couple of things that I could use it on if it works.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=350906#p350906 said:
tomme boy » 02 May 2014, 00:17[/url]"]How does that alumaweld work? I have looked at it but I have not been able to get myself to buy it. I have a couple of things that I could use it on if it works.
the weld stays strong just a pain to work with takes lots of practice. it does what it says though no complaints yet

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=351031#p351031 said:
coreyprashaw » 02 May 2014, 21:27[/url]"]I see you're upstate as well! I live east of Watertown! Liking the build man!
thanks bro! im like 40 mins west of Albany.

god some more work done today I got the plywood all cut and gave it 3 coats of thompsons water seal. I started my carpet for the floor and front and rear decks. The carpet glue I used was a total pain in the a$$ to use but it seems to bond fast and strong. I didn't fasten the decks to the boat yet just have them floating on the frame so I can remove them and run my wires for my led lights and electronics. I found a decent set of lights that change colors for night fishing.I am planning on building my pole lockers tomorrow and installing my rod holders and of course a electronic beer cooler. heres what I accomplished today.

Attachments

• deck wood.jpg
    deck wood.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,289
  • boat carpet back view.jpg
    boat carpet back view.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,289
  • boat carpet side.jpg
    boat carpet side.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3,289
  • back maddy.jpg
    back maddy.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 3,289
  • back window.jpg
    back window.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 3,289
its been awhile since I added anymore pics of my boat to the site. been busy with work and projects around the house. I built a rod locker and added some cup holders and rod holders ( courtesy of longshot) :beer: I also decided to mount my transom mount trolling motor to the bow of the boat. slowly but surely...

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    402.8 KB · Views: 2,919