07 1860 Roughneck Rebuild and questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcchase

Reaction score
Well I bought a boat from a lady that "got it in her divorce" that looked like it had been a neglected and needed a little work. They were original owners bought new and hadn't used it in a few years. Test drove it and it had a little rough idle but got up on a plane and ran well, no water in boat after half hour test ride. Nothing electrical worked on it so I figured usual been sitting stuff or broken main lead. I knew I was buying a fixer upper so made my offer accordingly. Well I get it home and open up an access plate to start troubleshooting electrical issue and beach sand and shells come pouring out. So I pop rivets off and sand is packed to the top of the gunwales. Oh well guess it is a lot more work than what I thought!! Called up PO and asked how long it was under water and when it happened.. Said it never happened.. Jeez.. you already got me, and my money ,,good job.. why not give up the ghost and tell the truth?

Last night I was able to get false floor and sides removed and some of the foam and a small beach of sand and shells. There is salt sand and corrosion under the foam. However so far none if looks deep and hope that's the case throughout . Also I completely filled it with fresh water and there are no leaks.

Couple of questions on what to do once I get it all opened up and cleaned out

What is the best way method to clean and treat the corroded areas to STOP it?

There is no paint under the foam where the corrosion is should I paint or epoxy once it is cleaned up and treated?

I am leaning towards not replacing the foam. It seems to cause more trouble than its worth. but if I decide to replace it what foam should I look for?

Thanks

Will post some pictures once I get everything opened up

Couple pictures of the what I have.. Removed a couple 5 gallon buckets full of sand and shells and a ton of wet sandy foam. Still have to figure out how to clean up the front and rear compartments as they are welded on and full of foam and sand as well. The foam in the floor completely filled all the drainage

image.jpg

image.jpg

Salt and corrosion under foam
image.jpg

image.jpg

Fresh water should wash the sand away. I've always been told that you can't stop the corrosion once it starts. However my old boat had some and I sandblasted it real good to clean it out. Then I played fiberglass over that. Its still running today. If you could get it sandblasted and get most of the corrosion out I'd think an epoxy would work good.

JMHO.

Previous owner called and she was willing to take the boat back , said her ex husband got it beached while they were separated and she wasn't aware of it. I told her I already had it stripped it down to a bunch of pieces so would not be easy to bring back. So she is sending me 500 to make things right, guess not all people are bad!!

Back to the boat, I do not need to repair the minor pitting but would like to clean and treat it to stop it.

The front and back deck are welded in and full of foam. It looks like I have 2 choices.. cut the welds to remove and reweld or cut and acces point and dig the foam out. I am leaning towards the second option as I don't weld aluminum all that great.

As far as any corrosion once I get everything opened up my plan is as follows,

1) Pressure wash everything

2) remove as much corrosion as I can with scotchbrite

3) use Oshpo to neutralize any thing I missed

4) Alodine to protect

5) 2 part epoxy paint

How's that sound

Might consider just adding an access hatch or two. You can buy them in five inch circles up to full fledged hatch doors.

Oh, buy the hatch...any size..FIRST. Cut the hole afterwards. Don't ask me how I learned this. Ha Ha.

Richg99

Here is one...
https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Plate-Access-Hatch-Cover/dp/B00CJ04YUQ

just did the measuring .. Going to look for and order the hatches then cut to fit hopefully find some with storage built in . I Have enough work to keep me busy until they come in.

My wife is out of work right now so she has been doing most of the labor.. She has already broke a few fingernails and has a few blisters and busted knuckles . I guess it is her boat now and I owe her a manicure. I have a great wife and she is going to have a great boat when it's all said and done.

Finally got all the foam out of the back and the hatches fitted. Going to start on the bow tomorrow nite. Hope to be ready to clean grind sand and treat the pitted spots by the weekend. I think most should come out with scotcbrite except for a few places.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    715.1 KB · Views: 1,933
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 1,933
Was that hatch in the boat already? If not, where can I get one?

Good luck on the project and congrats on getting some money back. Sounds like a nice lady.

It is a cabelas custom hatch. Yeah was nice of her. I was hesitant to buy it in case there were under deck issues. I discussed it with her prior to purchase and she told me they washed boat down after every trip. Guess she did not know what her husband did. Rained out tonight :(

Well I have the boat completely stripped down and all areas of corrosion have been ground out acid etched alodined and primed luckily nothing was 2 deep. A few welds for the floor supports were broken so I ground out and re-welded them, I also welded additional bracing under the front and rear decks and floor supports.

I will be cutting and prepping new 1/8" deck tonight and finishing up prepping for paint. Hoping to shoot it this weekend as long as the weather cooperates. I am having a hard time finding the exploding rivets that were in the deck originally locally, so ordered some and hope they get here tomorrow. Hydroturf is supposed to be here be here Friday so if everything goes right I hope to get it in the water by the 4th.

boat1.JPG

boat2.JPG

boat3.JPG

Got quite a bit done this weekend, 250 rivets later I have decks and console in...sanded primed and painted , fuel tank , engine and steering installed. Hydro turf should be here Wednesday.

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Attachments

• photo 6.JPG
    photo 6.JPG
    189.3 KB · Views: 1,661
Pretty much finished , just a few little odds and ends to complete. but I think all in all it came out nice

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Looks like a duckboat. Nice work, and excellent handling of a sandy problem. I would have been livid if that happened to me! But we can only take things one step at a time, right?

very nice work, that paint came out nice and flat.

Latest posts