12 foot v-hull aluminum mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robvanbeck

Reaction score
Alright! Its my turn. I just picked up a 12 foot sears aluminum yesterday for pretty cheap. No trailer. My plan is for a deck, small floor between the back seat area, and a nice little paint job on the exterior. I'm keeping it simple for obvious reasons. I already have a 4.5 hp evinrude, will get a small trolling motor for the front, and eventually a small fish finder. Already got paint and primer. Probly paint tomorrow. I'll do my best to keep updating!

The plan. I'm not installing any seating for weight reasons. Old school white throwables. I messed around and put a deck on a 14 ft a couple years back and confident in how this will turn out. Still looking for a trailer also.

Attachments

• IMG_20140610_103904.jpg
    IMG_20140610_103904.jpg
    732.2 KB · Views: 3,614
Primed and painted! Turned out better then I expected after never really painted before. Next up the deck cut out. That what the cardboard in back is for. Used Rustoleum spray aluminum primer and Rustoleum metallic black paint. 1 can of primer and 2 cans of paint. Less then $20 total for paint.

Attachments

• IMG_20140611_203944.jpg
    IMG_20140611_203944.jpg
    890.6 KB · Views: 3,532
Busy working this week but I found a trailer dirt cheap yesterday and paid about 1/4 of what I expected to pay. So I'm pretty happy about that. I have my supplies for the deck and now that I got the trailer I can get crazy. Need to put a new transom on, which may happen tonight. Also got the template for the deck done.

Moved the winch assembly so the end of the boat sat flush with the end of the bunks. Raised the bunks about an inch and a half. Sits nice. Painting the transom black. Goes on when it dries.

Attachments

• IMG_20140616_094736.jpg
    IMG_20140616_094736.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 3,385
I like that color scheme.

I am interested to see how you frame your floor and your transom pictures.

Looking good.

Go big or go home! Yep, I decided to go overboard with my transom. I also decided on going with natural wood after a day of work and thinking about how I like the worn natural look over time. So I treated a chunk of 3/4 ply and mounted it with 1 1/4 nuts and bolts. Sealed and a 2 x 4 inside for support. Very simple but very strong! And very easy to fix if needed. Also fixed the recoil and changed the gear lubricant. She is officially ready for water!

Well, it rained pretty good last night and there's no water dripping outta the boat so I'm chalking that up to a small victory. I forgot to mention there were 2 rivets that were replaced by the previous owner with SS nuts and bolts. They seemed good so I just sealed them on the inside. Time to start siphoning when I get back home! Need to cut the wood and the deck will be good to go. I got a 3 foot long piece of aluminum angle from menards to aid in bracing the deck with 2 x 4's. Feeling good.

Its alIve!! Motor runs! Fixed recoil. New gas of course. And a little clean. Haven't ran it in over a year and was worrying about it sitting in rain, sleet, and snow. And how many pulls? 1. Also got the wood finally for the deck and borrowed a jigsaw from a buddy at work. I'm not going to be able to sleep.

Got the deck cut and supports in. All water proofed.just need to cut my hatch door. Stainless steel screws and angle aluminum with 2x4's for supports. Not to impressive but will work just fine. Carpet tonight hopefully!

Attachments

• IMG_20140625_163036.jpg
    IMG_20140625_163036.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3,047
Little bit of carpet as a buffer between the front edge of the wood and metal. A brace is going in the middle also for added support.

Attachments

• IMG_20140625_170918.jpg
    IMG_20140625_170918.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,045
Carpet put on using locktight spray adhesive shown in a post above. Then screwed on edges below. Then screwed to middle seat at the mounted 2x4s. Even took the boat for a test run and everything held and did its job. Also sat well in the water and not really tippy at all.

Waves were decent but the 4.5 evinrude chugged right along with 2 guys in the boat and never once did I worry about safety issues. Can't wait to run it alone to see if it picks up speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20140628_163733.jpg
    IMG_20140628_163733.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,022
Great job on adjusting the trailer to fit the boat, that will make towing easier on the mind and the boat. :D

Also I really like the color scheme, simple but very effective.

Front fishing deck looks very nice. However, it looks like you placed the 2x4's flat, does it support pretty good with no bow?

In addition, on the transom looks very strong indeed. Thanks for the out of the box idea ( extending the transom on the outside the full length) my mind was stuck on keeping that part out of the water.

Excellent progress and nice work!

Latest posts