duracraft mod- v 16' conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bthompson92

Reaction score
I've been looking over this forum for the last month or so and was inspired to give it a shot myself. I started checking craigslist daily to find a good deal(While on a college budget) so I needed a REALLY GOOD deal! I came across this boat for $230 and decided this was what I wanted to modify. Not sure on the year but I would say early 80's model. It's in okay shape, but I was looking for a project (Not planning on being done for several months). I plan on constructing a deck for the front and make a small deck for back just to use while steering. I want the middle to be as open as possible. I need all the feedback I can on cheap but effective ways to fix this boat up.

Attachments

• boat and truck.JPG
    boat and truck.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 4,890
  • floor with deck.JPG
    floor with deck.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 4,890
  • side view.JPG
    side view.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 4,890
  • floor with water log.JPG
    floor with water log.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 4,890
  • crack.JPG
    crack.JPG
    182.8 KB · Views: 4,890
  • clean floor.JPG
    clean floor.JPG
    178 KB · Views: 4,890
Looks a little better once I used the shop vac. I still need to tear up the front platform but ran out of time. I'm having to keep it at my grandparents who live 40 minutes away(apartment wont let me keep it here), luckily im moving next month and will be able to keep it there and work on it when im not in class or working. it needs a good pressure wash so I can find what all needs to be welded back.

Attachments

• shop vac.JPG
    shop vac.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 4,834
I want to sand the trailer down this weekend and maybe try and start painting, as well as replace the bunkers. not sure what would be the best way to remove the rust and re-paint. I'm wanting to paint it black, needs some ideas or some knowledge from someone who has previously done this?

Nice find! I used a recycling place for most of the aluminum in my build, they sold it to me for the current scrap price. You'll find yourself staring at the hull trying to figure out your next move so much your family will think you're crazy. I've enjoyed my build a lot, tried to think things through before I'd cut in an effort to do it once. You'll find yourself in a pinch from time to time and that's when you head back here to the forum for help. Good luck.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358028#p358028 said:
Buckethead » 02 Jul 2014, 12:07[/url]"]Nice find! I used a recycling place for most of the aluminum in my build, they sold it to me for the current scrap price. You'll find yourself staring at the hull trying to figure out your next move so much your family will think you're crazy. I've enjoyed my build a lot, tried to think things through before I'd cut in an effort to do it once. You'll find yourself in a pinch from time to time and that's when you head back here to the forum for help. Good luck.

I didn't think of trying that! That would probably help me save a good bit of money buying it as scrap. If not I was going to try and get some scrap left over from a local metal shop. Yeah I'm excited about my build and will try and post pictures as much as I can along the way. Do you have any recommendations on paint and primer for the trailer? I plan on re doing the trailer this weekend if I have the time.

I wire wheeled mine down to metal and used rustoleum rattle can primer and white paint. As I went through the trailer I replaced all of the hardware with grade 8 and all new spring bushings, bearings, tires, everything. I figured I'd eliminate as many variables as possible.

all new spring bushings, bearings, tires,

Or, you could share my experience of gouging a trail on a curvy asphalt country road on a holiday week-end, trying to find a pull-off, because you took the word of the previous owner who swore the bearings had just been replaced.

#-o #-o #-o

Nice hull, you're showing great patience--much more than I did at your age. Take your time, watch your investment dollars, and live with what you can before you put in a reclining chair and a flat-screen TV. :) You might find you did too much. :)

Have fun, be safe.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358181#p358181 said:
Kismet » 03 Jul 2014, 12:07[/url]"]all new spring bushings, bearings, tires,

Or, you could share my experience of gouging a trail on a curvy asphalt country road on a holiday week-end, trying to find a pull-off, because you took the word of the previous owner who swore the bearings had just been replaced.

#-o #-o #-o

Nice hull, you're showing great patience--much more than I did at your age. Take your time, watch your investment dollars, and live with what you can before you put in a reclining chair and a flat-screen TV. :) You might find you did too much. :)

Have fun, be safe.

Yeah I already had to replace the tires just to get the boat home from PO. Will have to check the hubs and bearings this weekend to see if they need to be replaced also. It may take a while as I am definitely on a tight budget and I am only able to work on it during the weekends. But with the help from all you guys I should be in good shape! Thanks for the advice Kismet, keep it coming!

I'm with Kismet, we were 30 miles outside of BFE when a trailer hub decided to seize up, it's worth it to have the piece of mind.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358206#p358206 said:
Buckethead » 03 Jul 2014, 18:56[/url]"]I'm with Kismet, we were 30 miles outside of BFE when a trailer hub decided to seize up, it's worth it to have the piece of mind.

Oh yeah its never good to be stranded, had a similar experience with my buddy's boat. Luckily I work at an outdoor store who sales bearings and hubs so I will definitely look into that also. The leaf springs I can just order offline seemed fairly cheap on amazon. But hey its always better to be safe than sorry!

Well I went home for the 4th and planned on working on the boat but that girlfriend was with me and.. well that didn't happen. I did manage to get the boat off the trailer with the help of a friend (did not realize how heavy the boat was) and get a better look at the trailer and bottom of the boat. The bottom was in a lot better shape than I had expected, only minor dings, nothing serious.

Attachments

• bottom of boat.JPG
    bottom of boat.JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 4,545
I need some advice, has anyone ever used a truck toolbox as a bench seat. My uncle has an old one laying around and I thought about cutting it to fit in the back that way it will open and also be storage, plus It will save me some money.

The trailer on the other hand has seen much better days. There is a minor bend in the tongue, not sure what to do about it. My uncle says it should be fine, as minor as it is. I really want to get the trailer knocked out so I can start on the boat.

Attachments

• trailer.JPG
    trailer.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 2,268
Here is a second view, you can see the bend in the tongue, but like I said it is minor.

Attachments

• trailer 2.JPG
    trailer 2.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 2,267
If it were me I'd replace it, probably not much of a chance of it ever failing but you never know. If you weigh the cost of replacement vs. picking your stuff up off the pavement it's worth it to fix it now, that's just me based on my history of poor decisions.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=358566#p358566 said:
Buckethead » 07 Jul 2014, 10:14[/url]"]If it were me I'd replace it, probably not much of a chance of it ever failing but you never know. If you weigh the cost of replacement vs. picking your stuff up off the pavement it's worth it to fix it now, that's just me based on my history of poor decisions.

I'm going to try and salvage the tongue if I can since it will save me money, its not welded on so i may be able to shift it. I wish I could just buy a new one instead of doing all this work to it. I may just have to deal with it due to low funds. I'm realizing this trailer has more things needing to be fixed than I thought!

Finally started on the trailer, with much delay. I have almost completely grinded and primed the trailer at this point. Hope to be completely finished in the next two weeks. Football season starting saturday is killing my free time! But War **** Eagle anyway.

Attachments

• photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 2,198
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    photo 3 (3).JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 2,198

Latest posts