Landau 1470

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrdrh99

Reaction score
Hey guys.... Been lurking for months but finally joined! I just recently got a 1987 Landau 1470 side console with a 94 Johnson 25hp. Getting from cousin so I got a great deal. Tons of work since it's been sitting for years. Good news, motor has good compression, throttle and steering controls are still in working order. Bad news, filled halfway with years of pine straw and crap. Just started cleaning and the hull is solid. Will need to check rivets for leaks. Transom is completely gone and needs to tires on the Gator trailer. Goal is to clean it out, make sure wiring is good and get motor running, then plan to make a couple trips as is before any mods. Will probably open floor up instead of making deck, just decking the floor as much as possible. Couple storage areas in back maybe. I'm more interested in electronics and wide open floor plan... Love the side console. This will be a lengthy process but I plan on doing it right.

Attachments

• 2014092201592000.jpg
    2014092201592000.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 2,449
  • IMG_20140917_103515007.jpg
    IMG_20140917_103515007.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 2,449
  • 2014092202003000.jpg
    2014092202003000.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 2,449
  • 2014092202005800.jpg
    2014092202005800.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 2,449
Welcome aboard, mrdrh99.

Looks like a nice winter project. Looking forward to seeing your progress.
How does the motor look under the hood?
Was it put away properly?

edit: Where are you from? Be sure to update your location profile.

jasper

Thanks for the welcome! It was not stored properly but it is incredibly clean under the hood.... Nothing locked up, compression is good. Steering and throttle cables are good. I've had a"backyard "mechanic look at it and days he thinks it'll run with a little work... We'll see. But yeah.... Something to do over winter.

Only progress to report is a check on the compression which read 120 on both cylinders... Good sign. Will be getting the tires taken care of this week and then I'll be able to get it pulled out of the alley it's in and get it cleaned up.

mrdrh99 said:
Only progress to report is a check on the compression which read 120 on both cylinders... Good sign. Will be getting the tires taken care of this week and then I'll be able to get it pulled out of the alley it's in and get it cleaned up.

Great news on the compression. Btw, what year is the motor?

When I first got my boat the tires were all cracked and dry rotted. It was a miracle they made the trip from the seller's house, not to mention having no spare. LOL. You'll be amazed how much better it looks with a new set of tires and little clean-up. I've only been to NC a couple times in my life, but one thing I remember is all the pine trees, LOL. Do you have a space to work on it indoors?

jasper

Nope... It'll be an all outdoor project but we have stretches of nice 60° weather throughout winter! And yes.... Tons of point trees. The motor is a 94 Johnson 25. I went to look at tires today and to my surprise the new tires, wheels and all were only $10 more so I just picked up 2 brands new ones. Tomorrow I'm putting them on, strapping the boat down and towing to my dad's where most of the work will be done. 1st thing will be getting the motor off, taking boat off trailer and cleaning it out... Then transom replacement and testing for leaks. Like I said.... No real rush on this project.... My deadline is next spring. I'll have some more and better pics on my next post!

So.... After months (winter, birthdays, Christmas... More winter) finally got the boat cleaned out. I had planned on doing as much as I could myself. But after so long I was going crazy! Finally cleaned it out and just dropped off at repair shop to replace transom and get motor running.I can not decide if I want to remove front bench and have nice open floor or leave and deck over it! Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20150420_150418054.jpg
    IMG_20150420_150418054.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,142
Freakin awesome boat. I would cut the bench and make it a wicked awesome duck hunting boat. Im so jealous for the boat

Nice find. My Landau 1470 has no middle seat and a low front deck, open and stable.

Link to build is below.

Ictalurus said:
Nice find. My Landau 1470 has no middle seat and a low front deck, open and stable.

Link to build is below.

Yes! I looked over your build several times before pulling the trigger on mine. Very nice. I'm thinking about no deck and removing bench in middle, laying a nice floor and a long rod/storage locker in front of the console.

Should have it back from the repair shop in about 2 weeks

BTW I did pick up a used, but in good shape, motor guide bow mount foot controlled 45lb troller.... Wonder if the pedal will go all the way down to the floor without a deck???

Got the motor with a new battery for $140!

So I think I've decided.... Rod storage in front of the console, with a deck just high enough to keep the battery and a couple gear bags and life jackets underneath with a couple access hatches. Then decking from the back bench to the transom with hatches to the gas tank, bilge, and anchor. This will allow to mount the bow mount motor on the front, the foot control on the deck, and will probably keep the cooler on deck to double as a seat. Controls for electronics will be mounted on console along with a Raymarine dragonfly unit.

Age old question... Removing the bench seat in the middle?

I want to take it out, but, string 2 2x12s across as the main decking supports. I figure that would more than make up for the bench seat. Then adding the structural foam all the way down the floor to replace what came out of the bench.

Sound sufficient?

Got the boat back from shop with motor purring like a kitten.... Time to tear that transom out!

Attachments

• IMG_20150505_152206196.jpg
    IMG_20150505_152206196.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_20150505_152212261.jpg
    IMG_20150505_152212261.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,997
  • IMG_20150505_153724012_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150505_153724012_HDR.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,997
36 rivets and 4 hours later it's out....

Corrosion! That old wood was soaked and has been sitting for years. Pitting had started, a couple small places are all the way through. After talking with a couple others on here, I'll be cleaning with vinegar and a wire wheel on my drill today. After that I hope to get the new transom pieces cut to shape, glued together and seal the edges today.

Ordered a Lowrance Elite 3x last night to mount on the console.

Attachments

• IMG_20150505_153731803_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150505_153731803_HDR.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 901
  • IMG_20150505_190438216.jpg
    IMG_20150505_190438216.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 901
Looks really good!! Regarding the center bench removal, sounds like you've got a great idea, but those 2x12 are going to weigh a good bit. When i switched to aluminum framing and a 1/4" ply on the low deck over blue board, it took about 70 lbs out of the boat.

I attached a pic of the capacity plate in case yours was missing.

Attachments

• 1470F Capacity Plate.jpg
    1470F Capacity Plate.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 901
That's one hell of a nice boat! 1470, how fantastically stable and yet compact enough to go pretty much anywhere provided there's a boat launch.

Ictalurus said:
Looks really good!! Regarding the center bench removal, sounds like you've got a great idea, but those 2x12 are going to weigh a good bit. When i switched to aluminum framing and a 1/4" ply on the low deck over blue board, it took about 70 lbs out of the boat.

I attached a pic of the capacity plate in case yours was missing.
I have it, the exact same one! It was painted over but I can read it

I'm not going to remove the bench this year, I'm going for a full deck over the seat. Yeah I'm excited about the size and stability of this boat. Will be getting some salt water use so I'm really going to have to put some effort into cleaning up that transom. Soaking with vinegar now, will be hitting it with the wire brush today, then pressure washing, then patching those pitted spots with jb weld. That will probably be all this week with this pesky possible tropical storm off the coast. Will spend the rainy days sealing up the wood for the transom.

Latest posts