2001 Bass Tracker Mod advice!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Slayer12

Reaction score
Hey guys, redoing my 2001 bass tracker tx17! Right now its stripped down to the luminum and I'm about to start the floors. I can only find 4x8 sheets of marine ply so ill have to bond them together for the front and middle deck. Any tips or tricks? thanks, Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_0980.JPG
    IMG_0980.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,230
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,230
  • IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,230
Assuming you are going to carpet your decks, and the decks are properly supported....why marine plywood? I know it has better strength, and definitely is the right stuff to use to build a wooden boat....but....

As just underlayment for carpet....I'd think any b/c grade exterior plywood (non-treated) would do the job just fine. I may be wrong, and await other comments. Rich

richg99 said:
Assuming you are going to carpet your decks, and the decks are properly supported....why marine plywood? I know it has better strength, and definitely is the right stuff to use to build a wooden boat....but....

As just underlayment for carpet....I'd think any b/c grade exterior plywood (non-treated) would do the job just fine. I may be wrong, and await other comments. Rich

Hey Rich, i just want to make sure it is going to last awhile longer than exterior plywood due to no voids in the layer of ply. Plus I'm going to put protech mats over it and carpet over that. My biggest questions involve how to bond the sheets together so that they are sealed properly regardless of what kind of plywood! Matt

I would use a good flexible caulk with some duct or gorilla tape over it If you plan on carpeting it then it shouldn't be a eye sore. But there might be more professional ways to go about it.

If you want to join two pieces of board together, and need a flat surface... i.e. like for the sides of a wooden boat, you can SCARF the joint.

Basically, you are trimming each end of the boards back at a very gentle angle. Something like 9 to 1 rings a bell. i.e. if your board was one inch thick, the bevel angle would be a full 9 inches on each board. Then you glue the two pieces and clamp.

Another way, not as strong, would be to butt join the sheets and then add a third board underneath, glued and screwed. Depending on the length and width of the supporting board... that would determine more or less strength.
richg99

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint

richg99 said:
If you want to join two pieces of board together, and need a flat surface... i.e. like for the sides of a wooden boat, you can SCARF the joint.

Basically, you are trimming each end of the boards back at a very gentle angle. Something like 9 to 1 rings a bell. i.e. if your board was one inch thick, the bevel angle would be a full 9 inches on each board. Then you glue the two pieces and clamp.

Another way, not as strong, would be to butt join the sheets and then add a third board underneath, glued and screwed. Depending on the length and width of the supporting board... that would determine more or less strength.
richg99

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint

What is the best tool to use to achieve this?

The front and middle deck is what needs to be replace, if that adds any help. Both floors were taken out completely so I have the size to recreate them with the new plywood. I just want a solid way to join the plywood without the deck giving any!

Attachments

• IMG_1658.jpg
    IMG_1658.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,180
Re Tool to use for scarfing a board.... Old days, a hand plane. Now, a power planer would do it quicker.

Personally, I'd try to position the supports so that the ends of your sheets would finish right on top. Then, I'd butt joint and brace the sheets, just so nothing would move .

richg99

I believe the question was...what tool to use to make a scarf joint? If that is correct...then you use a plane to make the angled surface ( on both boards). They are glued/screwed together to make a strong, extended, flat surface.

Check out the illustrations on a Scarf joint on the site posted above.

As I said, I'd much rather cut the panels so that they meet right over your supports. No scarfing needed.

richg99 said:
I believe the question was...what tool to use to make a scarf joint? If that is correct...then you use a plane to make the angled surface ( on both boards). They are glued/screwed together to make a strong, extended, flat surface.

Check out the illustrations on a Scarf joint on the site posted above.

As I said, I'd much rather cut the panels so that they meet right over your supports. No scarfing needed.

Hey that makes sense! It would be a lot simpler to meet the ends of the panels with the support. The only problem is that the supports aren't very wide so I don't know how screwing down two board on one support would work. Thanks again!