new project, should I or should I not?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firstresponder01

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm a new here, so howdy! I just picked up this Lowe line v bottom boat. It's a 14ft, not even sure what model it is. had intentions to convert it and with platforms like all these other beautiful ones I've seen on here. Well I think it's not deep enough. It's 4 foot wide. And if you lay a board across it and measure to the deepest part of the v bottom it's only 20" I don't think that is enough for stability for casting platforms. What do you guys think about it? Thinking about selling it and finding something with a deeper hull.

Found another one that has a deeper hull and 16ft. With a trailer for $250. So might go pick that one up and fix it up instead.

Attachments

• 20141119_124916.jpg
    20141119_124916.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 2,308
  • 20141119_181106.jpg
    20141119_181106.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 2,308
  • 20141119_181115.jpg
    20141119_181115.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 2,308
It's the width or beam of a boat that is the biggest factor in stability, not their depth. Flatter hull shapes also tend to have better initial stability ( v vs flat bottom ).

If that larger boat has a sound hull and the trailer is good enough to get it home it's a deal.

That 14 is kinda small for modding but is a great size for a small or electric only fishing spot, cool that it fits in the back of your truck! A flat bottom 16 will give you a lot more customization options and a lot more stability. I'd imagine you can sell the 14 and pay for most of the 16. Good luck!

Welcome to TinBoats! :mrgreen:

This is a great place with a lot of great info!
firstresponder01 said:
Hey guys I'm a new here, so howdy! I just picked up this Lowe line v bottom boat. It's a 14ft, not even sure what model it is. had intentions to convert it and with platforms like all these other beautiful ones I've seen on here. Well I think it's not deep enough. It's 4 foot wide. And if you lay a board across it and measure to the deepest part of the v bottom it's only 20" I don't think that is enough for stability for casting platforms. What do you guys think about it? Thinking about selling it and finding something with a deeper hull.
I have to agree with the other members!

But, I did a search for ya and found these 14' Lowe V-Bottom projects...(probably many other Lowe projects on here, just search if you need to)

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35922

https://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=34018&hilit=lowe+v+bottom

firstresponder01 said:
Found another one that has a deeper hull and 16ft. With a trailer for $250. So might go pick that one up and fix it up instead.
That would be a great price for a larger boat and with a trailer!

This is a picture of the one for $250. Has some weird 1x4 going around it. Owner says it was there when he got it and doesn't know what it's for. Says it's ugly as sin but it floats. Doesn't know the measurements but it looks bigger. I haven't viewed it in person yet but going to next week being ad it's 2 hours away from where I live. Guy is holding it for me.

Attachments

• 00f0f_cunpzgYMXx9_600x450.jpg
    00f0f_cunpzgYMXx9_600x450.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 2,249
That may be an Arkansas. Traveler. Hard to tell from that pic. They came with 1x2 wood on gunnels. Someone just went cheap and replaced it with 1x4. Great boat to deck out.

On the AT's there was no funnels. Just the aluminum wall. The wood was the funnels and added support and stability.

The wood gunnals help hold the boat together. Along with the seats they are integral to its structural integrity. I like the wood, gives it character!

I would replace it with 1x2 oak or teak, inside and out. Stained and sealed would look great.

Definitely going to replace the wood. I to like the look. Going to be stripping the boat and resurfacing anyways. Can't wait to go pick it up and get started. Just got the easements and it's 14ft in length with a 64" beam. Super excited to get this project going.

Latest posts