2003 Starcraft Starfire conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harrywbrown

Reaction score
Hello, I just bought a 2003 Starcraft Starfire and have gutted it down to the hull. I plan to build her back up as a sea going vessel. Yep, I'll need to apply an ablative bottom paint to the hull and would welcome suggestions for brands and types to use. I also plan to put in cedar fence decking for the floor (just not a carpet guy). Here's a shot post-teardown (ghastly looking but solid).

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1416953768430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1416953768430.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 1,804
With an aluminum hulled boat you don't want to use any product that contain copper like pressure treated wood and some hull coatings.

Epaint makes a bottom paint for aluminum boats: https://www.epaint.com/index.php?id=19&prod_id=19. Its pricey but worth it for multi season uses.

Another question: the former plywood deck was laid on top of foam blown in on the port and starboard sides with no fasteners used along the deck edge where it meets the interior hull wall (fasteners were used further in of course). I want to lay the cedar deck boards lengthwise across lateral aluminum angle bulkheads. The question is how to fasten the end of the bulkheads to the hull wall given there is only foam below. I was thinking of fastening the end of the aluminum angle bulkheads to aluminum L brackets that are riveted to the interior hull wall. My concern is driving a rivet into the side of the hull. Any concerns or suggestions?

bulkhead attachment 2.jpg

Attachments

• bulkhead attachment.jpg
    bulkhead attachment.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,763
I plan to use 1x6 cedar fence board. Its dry weight is 22 lbs/ft3 vs. plywood which is 37 lbs/ft3. The substructure will be aluminum angle. Overall, the floor should be lighter than plywood, just as sturdy and longer lasting.

Cedar is a good choice, its light and very rot resistant. There are a couple threads on here where guys used cedar or cyprus for their decks.