Capt. Long`s Semi-V Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swvanglers

Reaction score
Hey folks ole Ben Bassy here. New to tinboats. From southwest Virginia and like many of you...I love to fish. I don't tangle I don't dangle I just angle.

Well I just purchase a semi v jon boat for $50. Heck of a deal on her. Here is a pic or two of what I have to work with. I took her out to dinner with a stanley sidewinder and a 4 lb largemouth. We both enjoyed the heck out of it. Now I got to buy her some new clothes and furniture.

I want to do some customization. One day it will be handed down to my kids and i want it to be nice. Not sure what I want to do but I know I have to get some comfortable seating in it and a decent floor.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421365390598.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421365390598.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,387
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421365449682.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421365449682.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,387
Good looking boat you got there and a heck of a deal! You have so many different options for customization and this forum contains so much information it's unreal. Make sure to post lots of pics during the process. Any questions just ask and someone will have the answer!

I actually do have one particular question.

What's a good option for installing a pedestal base plate? I am considering foamboard underneath marine plyboard for the flooring covered with a marine carpet. I want the seating to be stable and secured to the flooring.

This is the one I will be buying:

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421372803623.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421372803623.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 1,373
I laid my floor out on top of the seats. Then drill holes for the pedestals threw the seats with a standard hole saw.( It will chew threw the aluminum. ) drilled holes for large regular wood screws (found at lowes here) with the tapered head to fit the base.(same base your using) And they bit down in the plywood and aluminum seats great.
IL try and get pics of my build up soon.

Heck yeah brother post away on those pics you have I'd love to see it. I'm going to Lowe's and home depot Saturday to round up some starter supplies.

I'm going to remove the old camo paint...and then seal the heck out of anything that stares me in the eye and looks suspicious. It doesn't leak but I want to take preventive measures.

After I prep the aluminum, what paint/sealer would I need to use? Heard a lot about that ole rustoleum stuff...

Thanks fellers

DaleH said:
Dayum, I love the camo paint! The fish will never see you coming :wink:
Hahaha those rascals can be elusive little creatures...you have a good point here my friend.

Figured I'd try out a can of this kleenstrip. Here is before and after. There are two layers of paint and it took most of them off.

Also I polished one section just to see what she looks like naked

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421446202332.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421446202332.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,321
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421446218666.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421446218666.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,321
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421446300254.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421446300254.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 1,321
I'm going to buy a quart of klean strip and make that aluminum slicker than a minners pecker. The pray can didn't last long at all! I'm figuring I can have the paint stripped and polished in a day or two.

Going to Lowe's first to see if they have any marine grade plywood and foam board. I will post the price and pictures of all the items when I wrangled em up

Insanity said:
Got to work and remembered I meant to add. If your seats don't have the foam in them already you can spray them full with expanding foam.
Yessir there is foam under the bench seats. I'm thinking about leaving those bench seats and just reinforcing and boxing them in fur structural purposes. I saw on here where a guy had done just that and it looked doggone fine as frogs hair

If you are gonna strip it down to bare aluminum you need to prime it with a zinc chromate primer before painting.

Yes I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :mrgreen:

Redbelly said:
If you are gonna strip it down to bare aluminum you need to prime it with a zinc chromate primer before painting.

Yes I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. :mrgreen:
I've heard to do that but had actually forgotten all about it. Thanks for the reminder ole buddy

Look under the topic (pics of my v boat ) for pics of mine. Sorry there not very good I wasn't sure they where small enough to post. It was sorta a test post. I was also loading it to go fishing tomorrow hence the mess. Lol

I'm going to box in under my seats to fit the plastic tackle boxes later. Since I left the center floor section open.
It's all framed in with 2x2s and I used 1/2 regular plywood to save weight and since it stays in the garage. But it warps when gets rained on when fishing . I wish I'd used marine grade.

I'm trying this stuff out from Lowe's to strip the paint.

It's been three hours and the paint is starting to bubble up. It's about 40degrees F outside and it's a "GREEN" product so it's not going to work as quick as the more potent stuff. It was $11 so I figured I'd give it a try. One jug done the whole boat.

Wonder if it's ok to leave it on til tomorrow...

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421684553173.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421684553173.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,282
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421684721154.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421684721154.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 1,282
Insanity said:
Look under the topic (pics of my v boat ) for pics of mine. Sorry there not very good I wasn't sure they where small enough to post. It was sorta a test post. I was also loading it to go fishing tomorrow hence the mess. Lol

I'm going to box in under my seats to fit the plastic tackle boxes later. Since I left the center floor section open.
It's all framed in with 2x2s and I used 1/2 regular plywood to save weight and since it stays in the garage. But it warps when gets rained on when fishing . I wish I'd used marine grade.
Nice! I'm gonna be positing a rough drawing for mine soon. Going to get supplies this weekend Lord willing.

Latest posts