1248 Semi V build/restoration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

derekdiruz

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a sea nymph 1248 from the late 60s.

Bought it for 350 last fall with a trailer, but the trailer is just a flat home made trailer that some guy built to haul his atv a while back. I'll be converting this to a boat trailer, as I have the tools to weld and the scrap metal laying around as well. Hopefully it's cheap haha.

My intentions are to build this to have a 9.9hp evinrude on it, so I'll be redoing the transom. My 55lb trolling motor on the transom as well, gas and battery up front. I want the decks to be fit in a way I can hunt as well as fish from it.

Anyways, here's the story.
The first pic is the boat when I brought it home.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421780051889.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421780051889.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,243
This is when she had the terrible deck taken out, all sorts of Nasty.

Next is mostly cleaned up and painted.

Third is the only good day of shooting we had all dang season.

And onto now, the 4th pic is what I started today. Removing the shotty paint and filling holes that were added from the PO. I'll remove the entirety of the paint on the bottom outside and in, and steelflex it. There's no leaks, but everytime we got in with waders there was maybe half gal of water in the bottom. Guessing from run off from us? But to be safe, steelflex it gets. Then the decking will start, and paint to follow.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1421781270773.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421781270773.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,234
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421781614701.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421781614701.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 1,234
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421782101782.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421782101782.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 1,234
  • uploadfromtaptalk1421782521888.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1421782521888.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,234
Looks like you have a nice clean slate and great boat. I will be interested to see what you do with it. How stable is the boat when standing in it? I imagine with the 48in beam it is pretty darn stable. Are you planning to add any side support/structure?

It's not terribly unstable, I'm usually a shore fisher and last summer I got sick of it so I bought my first boat with hunting in mind that would roll into fishing. My buddy would stand while motoring all morning long, and would make fun of me saying I don't have my boat feet yet. Lol. To me, it's not too stable, however I'd bet in the realm of things (as my buddy usually fishes his canoe and not my boat) it is. I want a front casting deck, so I'll let you know then! haha

Overall it is a decent slate, and holds water tight (unless it's a smallllll leak). The only issue is that there is a million tiny little holes that I'm shutting with pop rivets and 5200.

It can definitely take a little while to get your "boat feet". My suggestion would be to make a temporary deck that you can use to test the stability before adding anything permanent. This way you can see how stable the boat is and whether or not your deck height will be comfortable for you.

Wow. That sure looks a lot like my boat when I first started working on it :)
I finished the floor template yesterday and started the bow deck template today.
I found mine not to be all that stable in the water but I'm hoping the floor and deck weight will help that out.
I'l be watching your progress on your build. Should be fun.

I've got a question for everyone now.

In removing the paint I came across something I forgot about. The metal sticker on the boat displaying the Maximum HP and max weight etc. was painted over. is there any way you would go about removing the paint here, or can I obtain a new sticker?

My buddy painted the boat, and painted right over it.. and it wasn't much of a deal because we used the boat for transportation from A to B then pulled it ashore for hours, rather than floating around like you would fishing.

If it is stamped metal, with recessed lettering, remove the plate carefully
by drilling out the rivets.
If you can get it perfectly flat with a rubber mallet and some gentle massaging,
you can wet sand it on a flat surface starting with 220 grit up to maybe 360 or 400.
then, you will have a nice shiny aluminum plate with paint in the recessed parts.

You can also order a nice looking replacement for it online. About 30 bucks.
Just search for BOAT CAPACITY PLATE.

Latest posts