89 Bass Tracker TX17 transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMill

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm Jon and I'm new here. I'll soon be tearing into my Bass Tracker to spiff her up. I don't have any pics at the moment but when I get home this evening I'll get some and post them up. As of now, what I'm aware of anyways, the boat has a slow steady leak, the floor boards are rotting, and the transom is rotted out. What do you guys think of going back in with a full aluminum transom instead of the original wood? Be it c-channel, angle iron, plate, whatever. Has anyone attempted this, or would it be a bad idea? Thanks!

Yeah, Skiffing, there's quite a few issues to deal with. Here's a few pics to get an idea. I pulled the motor off today on my lunch break and can now really see the full extent of the rotting transom. I'm still unsure whether to go with a full aluminum or wood one. Any input?

Attachments

• 1422735278494.jpg
    1422735278494.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 1,790
  • 1422735316782.jpg
    1422735316782.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,790
  • 1422735351823.jpg
    1422735351823.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,790
Well, after quite a bit of research it seems that most people put wood transoms back in so I reckon I'll go that route. I did get most of the rear carpet up and the deck lids off.

Attachments

• 20150131_190327.jpg
    20150131_190327.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 1,775
If it came from the factory with wood I would just replace it with wood again. Aluminum can get expensive but that may be the better route, obviously it is a lot lighter than wood. Good luck with your build JMill! Ill try to keep up some responses. What's the point of a forum if no one replies to it.

Got the cap off today...wow, what a PITA that was!! And look how nasty it is up in there! What's a good product to use to eat away all of that grime? I'm going look at plywood options this evening, any suggestions? I'll be doing my best to keep track of where I am and taking pics and posting them on here. I'm sure I'll have A LOT of questions coming up! LOL. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20150203_143112.jpg
    20150203_143112.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 1,740
Any exterior grade plywood will work just don't use pressure treated wood.

Eat the grime:

Pressure wash w/ detergent.........

5F5 - cover tightly with plastic garbage bags - then pressure wash.

Rinse and repeat!

You may want to take a closer look at how that transom is constructed - might not be much more to go all aluminum if you do all the prep.

Ok thanks guys. I got the transom wood out and it was much worse than I thought. The two ends were the only pieces that were in descent enough shape to tell it was wood!! In the center where the motor mounts, it was only about 3/16"-1/4" thick and a mixture of sawdust and mud. I'm amazed the motor was still hanging off of it. Anyways, I'll be starting on the lumber tomorrow. I'd like to get the transom finished and then launch the boat somewhere so I can try to locate the leaks. I do know that it leaks from the keel that runs the length of the boat down the center. I caulked all the way around it one time and it stayed bone dry for a few days until it wore off. Until next time!

Attachments

• 20150203_181755.jpg
    20150203_181755.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 20150203_182036.jpg
    20150203_182036.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 1,721
Skiffing - I originally wanted to go all aluminum. I have most of the material already and I'm a combo welder for a living, so it wouldn't have been too bad labor - wise or cost effective-wise. I just didn't want to make the rear end of the boat rigid like that and it create a weak point elsewhere so I decided to keep it like it is from the factory. This is my first boat and the first time I've done anything like this, so I reckon I'll save the full aluminum for my next rig!

JMill: My hat is off to you brotha! That transom work would have scared the heck out of me, but I don't have your mad aluminum welding skills. I am anxious to see how it all looks when it is done. I have been working on a Bass Tracker Pro 17 for a couple of months now, and the hulls look almost identical.

Good luck and keep up the great work. Can't wait to see the next round of photos. :D

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared/hesitant to even begin this journey. And my aluminum welding skill are far from mad! Lol. It's not something I mess with often, but I could make it work. I didn't get anything done today. I did get a bunch of materials like screws, bolts, plywood for the transom, spar polyurethane, etc. I'll be getting back on her tomorrow!

Most all of Trackers boats today come with an aluminum tube frame transom. I wouldn't have any hesitation in putting in an all aluminum transom in my boat....but mine already has it.
You can put a wood transom in. All glass transom or go ahead and make the all aluminum transom and be done with it.

Huntinfool - I've already gotten everything needed to build it out of wood, plus I think it'll be easier. I figure with enough coats of polyurethane it'll last me plenty long enough. This boat's just a stepping stone until I get a nice skeeter anyways. I got alot done today. I've gutted most of the boat and I'm now ready to put it in the water and locate the leak(s). I'm hoping the leak isn't far enough toward the front of the boat so I don't have to mess with that pour in foam from the factory. That's some tough s**t!!! I don't see any evidence of it being water logged. I see guys putting that sheet foam it it's place, but where the pour in foam is it sure seems like it adds to the structural integrity of the hull. Are the foam sheets adequate for something like that? I plan on using the sheets under the floor and behind the side panels. Anyways, till next time! Jon

Attachments

• 20150205_135257.jpg
    20150205_135257.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 1,666
  • 20150205_180521.jpg
    20150205_180521.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,666
Man that transom is nasty! I am in the process of redoing my boat and plan to go with a wood transom like it already has. Like someone said the aluminum will Def be lighter and stronger but it may also create more strain on other parts of the boat. As far as the leak goes definitely try to find the main culprit. I would suggest just sealing the whole boat whether it be inside or out. I don't know if you have looked in to steelflex but this website has tons of info on it. That is what I plan on using for my boat. Good luck and I will be plugged in to watch the progress. Remember lots of pics it's what keeps all of us around

You are not kidding about that spray-in foam. It can be nasty to work with if you are not set up for it. I got lucky on mine and just had to replace the sheets under the floor and sides. I have half a sheet of 2" left over if you are anywhere near Kansas City soon... lol

Daryn - I'm nowhere near you, lol, but where'd you get 2" from? I've found 3/4" and that's it. 2" would be awesome. So I launched her today and found my leak to be a single rivet on the keel around where the drivers left foot sits. As soon as I get an extra hand around here I'll try to buck it and go launch it again to double check, worst case I'll put a stainless bolt in its place. Otherwise, I didn't get much work done. It appears that the foam that's under the rear deck along the sides has expanded further over time and had pushed the aluminum decking up and had even blown out several rivets. So I pulled that decking up and put some 60 grit sand paper on my palm sander and got after it, leveling out the top of the foam. It worked like a charm! That foam seems fine so I'll be leaving it along with the front foam. All I'll need is a few 4x8 sheets from home depot for under the floors and the sides. I'm almost ready to begin reassembly! I'm off to work tomorrow for the next four days (I work four days on, four days off), but I'll try to mess with it some after work.

Latest posts