1990 Tracker TX-17 Toiurnament Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
Seems that I can't keep away from the projects. I got a trade offer for my 16 Alumacraft, and I took it.

The new project boat is a 1990 Tracker TX-17 Tournament boat with a 50 HP Evinrude outboard, and a galvanized EZ Loader trailer. The previous owner bought it and discovered that the plywood was soft, so he pulled it out.

But the boat seems to be in very good condition, and everything seems to be there, so I'm happy.

Here are a couple of pictures:
file.php

file.php

file.php

I have read a number of TX rebuild threads, including Derek's, BYOB's, Cooter's and MMF's.

After reading these four from start to finish, I have a few things I need to figure out before starting...

Decking
1. Do I go with Ecolife treated wood that is rated for direct contact with aluminum, including wet locations?
2. Do I use untreated plywood and soak it down with many layers of urethane or other protectant?
3. Do I install the carpet to the plywood before screwing it down, or after?
4. How much is aluminum sheeting? Can I afford it?

Layout
1. Do I keep the original front layout, with the rod tubes?
2. Or do I change the front layout completely, adding storage?
3. Should I add hatches to the front section, which currently has DRY original foam. (which seems rare)

Right now, I'm unsure of everything. But in the back of my mind, I'm thinking, "worst-case, I'll slap in two pieces of Ecolife ply, put it back together quickly, and install carpet and call it a day.

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions or opinions?

I am all ears, and will listen to anything you have to say.
After thinking it over, I posted these questions in the boats forum, but this is the one that I'll show all the work on.

Thanks in advance.

-Tony

Definitely add a hatch. I LOVE mine. It makes for so much more usable storage.

As an additional note, for it appears that the front foam on these boats never seems to waterlog. I guess it's high enough and far enough forward that it doesn't seem to collect much. Plus the deck seems to keep the water flowing rearward instead of collecting.

I stayed away from the carpet and went with marine vinyl instead. I like it much better, and I'm certain that it will keep the wood lasting much longer.

Good luck with your build!

Thanks for the reply. I found your thread and read every page. Really nice looking work!

Does that marine hatch keep the inside of the bow pretty dry?
What kind of speed do you get out of the 40 HP?
Did you ever fix the issue with the edges of the vinyl curling up?

Thanks!

-Tony

store dot buymetal dot com

5082 sheet aluminum 48X48 x0.10 $96.39

Free shipping on orders > $100

I found some 6061 sheet at the scrap yard - $2.00 / lb. You can get a fair amount for that money.

The hatch works perfectly. The lid has a gasket, and I used 5200 between the deck and the frame. I've never had a drop get into the compartment from the hatch.

I haven't done anything on the curled edges. There's really only one of them that is exposed normally (left side of the lower console), and the rest are only visible with you open a hatch or lift a seat. I had one set of edges that run along the hinges of the hatches (livewell & bilge) that I used a bead of 5200 on instead of the contact cement. These edges have never come up, so that's probably the best way to go with the vinyl in the future.

My 40 doesn't push it too fast. I've topped out around 21 or so. I actually picked up a Johnson 50 that I'm going to put on it this spring. I'm keeping my eye open for an inexpensive 60 to max it out. I think the TX's are rated for an 80hp or something, right? The Pro 17's are limited to a 60.

Good luck and be sure to PM me with any ?'s. I've not been as good following Tinboats this winter with all of the snow keeping me occupied.

21 MPH... That is interesting. I just heard back from two friends with Tracker 17's, one with a Mercury 40 and the other with a Yamaha 40. Both report a 35 MPH top speed, one with 2 dogs, 2 hunters and a duck blind on it.

That is a pretty big difference, 21 versus 35. This has me very curious! Do you have a tach and GPS, or just a speedo? What is your RPM when wide open? Do you think your engine is propped right?

You are right, this one is rated for 70 HP, and I have a 70 HP hanging in my shed. Once I get the plywood replaced, I think I'm going to test run her with the 50 ASAP to see if it "feels" good.

Thanks again for sharing and helping!

-Tony

Oh, and I've made my decisions. I'm going back with the original layout, and will use the Ecolife plywood. Later, I will add two waterproof hatches to either side of the bow area, because the center is taken up with the rod tubes:

file.php

Keeping it original should enable me to restore it quickly, and I will still benefit from increased storage. Thanks for that suggestion!

Today, I picked up the Ecolife plywood and 20' of gray marine carpet. It begins soon! I hope to complete it within 2 weeks, but we will have to see how it really goes.

Thanks again, KK!

-Tony

I had a busy day today, but it was good. After everything was done, it was 5:00 PM. I only had about an hour of daylight, and it was cold, but I decided to get started on the Tracker.

Logically, I wanted to start on the main deck first:
file.php

First I took measurements, then cut the plywood. I had to cut the PVC rod tubes to get the floor installed in one piece, but once I did, the plywood dropped right in, nice and snug. Not bad for 15 minutes into the project!
file.php

Now I had to figure out the front deck measurements...
150228_032.jpg

I wanted the wood to extend under the rails, but not touch the sides, so I cut them about 1/2" shy, giving me about 1/4" space all around. Two tapered cuts, and I was ready to slide it in from the back so it would fit under the rails. Realized that there were a bunch of broken-off screw stubs, so I had to dig out the angle grinder, and clean up everything. Took a little while, because I kept missing some, but I eventually got them all. Slid the front deck in place, and it fit well.
150228_033.jpg

I was at an hour and a half, and things were looking good. As someone else noted, the front deck is not level with the rails, but it seems to be level when the boat is in the water. I agree with Tracker on this one. I'd much rather walk on a level deck, for comfort and safety.

I cut the tops for the two storage compartments, then set everything back in place. Wow... that made a huge difference! I can walk the decks and get a feel for the boat, already. NICE!
150228_036.jpg

At that point, it was dark, so I threw the tools into the shed, closed the door, pulled the cover over the boat and called it a night. 7:08 PM Two very satisfying hours!

Sorry, it was dark, so I wasn't able to get any pics of how it ended today.

A couple of comments...

First, I am surprised how solid the decks feel, even before attaching the plywood. I had been worried about the front deck in particular, and had considered adding extra supports, but I was wrong. It's amazingly solid. Aluminum is tougher than it looks!

Secondly, I am very impressed with the EcoLife plywood. It is still damp (as most treated plywood is when first purchased) but is nice and rigid, not floppy, as most treated plywood feels when new. I also appreciate that both pieces have very nice grain on both sides, with only a few knots. It's officially C/C, but looks more like B/B or A/B, except that its not sanded. Either way, I'm very happy with the quality of this wood, and very happy that it will not rot, and is rated for direct contact with aluminum. No copper anywhere in the treatment!

On my next free day, I plan to pull the wood, drop in some foam sheeting under the floor, attach the plywood and reconnect the rod tubes. Then I want to rivet and screw the panels down, and prepare for carpet.

I think this is going to be a boring rebuild, sorry! I'm not making any major changes, just putting it back together similar to original. If I can get it carpet-ready in 6 hours or so, I'll be happy. I just have to focus, and make the time count.

-TH

Attachments

• 150228_030.jpg
    150228_030.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 5,942
  • 150228_031.jpg
    150228_031.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 5,942
One other thing...

I have some aluminum panels that I have no idea where they go. Does anyone recognize them and where they go?

The big one to the left looks similar to the left leg of the console, and seems to be angled to go against the side of the hull somewhere. Is the console free-standing?
150228_038.jpg

The middle one seems to be a chase for wires, perhaps. Just not sure where, since this boat has a flush-mounted control.

The right one is an angled cover. Again, not idea where it goes.
150228_039.jpg

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

-TH

thill said:
One other thing...

I have some aluminum panels that I have no idea where they go. Does anyone recognize them and where they go?

The big one to the left looks similar to the left leg of the console, and seems to be angled to go against the side of the hull somewhere. Is the console free-standing?

The middle one seems to be a chase for wires, perhaps. Just not sure where, since this boat has a flush-mounted control.

The right one is an angled cover. Again, not idea where it goes.

If that big panel isn't the left leg of the console, then I don't know what it is. It looks very similar to the left panel under the console on my boat. Biggest difference is that the Pro-17 lower console is one piece, so the left and front lower panels are made together. Is it possibly a support for the extended deck?

Middle one is definitely a wire chase cover. This would allow you to route the wires from the back of the boat to the console. Separate harness than the motor/control harness. This one is most likely for your aftermarket electronics and wiring, fishfinder, extra lights, etc. It's probably mounted below the side controls somewhere.

Right cover is probably the cover for the steering cable. Again the one on the Pro-17 is different, longer and no taper, but it looks similar. Take a look here for wiring before I mounted seats and console. Big red cable is the steering cable.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 120103-IMG_0980.jpg
    120103-IMG_0980.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 5,908
Thill:

I am not as familiar with the TX-17 as I am with the Pro 17, but I would bet the long one is a chaseway for your steering, and throttle cables etc. In the Pro 17 that is what it is for. In my Pro 17, the rest of the wiring (Except for the motor wire harness) is routed behind the side wall.

Maybe the smaller one is for throttle control, and the bigger one looks like something to do with console? (Although it looks awfully short in height.) Did your boat have the original console when you got it? Maybe your original console was taller and did not need as tall of a base? Sorry, I am not much help, but I am posting a couple of (bad, sorry!) photos of that area on my boat. The panel right below my throttle control looks a bit like the longer piece that you have?

Hopefully might help in some small way. Keep up the great work. It is going to be done before you know it!

Attachments

• IMG_20150302_184632.jpg
    IMG_20150302_184632.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 5,876
  • IMG_20150302_184555.jpg
    IMG_20150302_184555.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 5,876
Daryn,
Thanks for the help. I discovered that the skinny one was for the steering cable, but still trying to figure out the other two. The big one is VERY similar to the left support of the console, but it has a HINGE on one side, and a hasp latch on the opposite side. It's almost like it's made to fold down somehow, but I can't figure out where it goes... yet.

OKAY... Today it wasn't snowing or raining, so after getting on the roof to clean the chimney, (it really needed it) I decided to work on the boat a little.

I started today by working on the Evinrude 50 HP outboard. The compression was excellent, 135 PSI on both cylinders. =D> I got the boat on trade from someone I knew, so I took his word for it, but good to know for sure.

I cleaned everything up, wiped her down, and then pumped some mixed fuel with a generous amount of SeaFoam into the motor. I let it soak in the bowls for awhile, and then pumped the bulb again, and turned the key. Nothing. I realized that I had not heard the primer solenoid click, so I turned the knob manually. Turned the key again, still nothing.

I disconnected the control cable and grabbed my remote starter. Hit the button and got her to fire. Yes! I plugged the control cable back in and went back up front. This time, when I pushed the key, the solenoid clicked. Turned the key, and she started! Sweet! I let her run for maybe 30 seconds, and squeezed the bulp and let her soak. I repeated a few of times while doing other stuff, and by the end, she was idling smooth. I'll probably pull the carbs and clean them before putting her in service, but it's sounding pretty good already!

Then I started working on the tilt/trim pump, but it's got serious problems. Fluid shoots out from around the rod, and I'm getting no lift pressure. I was about to pull the whole pump, and then I realized that daylight was fading. Enough engine work. Good enough for today. Here is what she looks like under the hood:
150302_041.jpg
150302_040.jpg

Time to make some progress on the boat. I pulled out the plywood and took my time and drilled out loose rivets and replaced them with new ones. I added a little spray foam to a couple of spots in the bow area around the rod tubes. Then starting from the back, I reinstalled and screwed down the plywood. I decided to use flat head, self-tapping ceramic coated screws. I've used these in the past, and they are very strong and really grab, and have a lifetime corrosion guarantee.

I decided to just screw the whole front deck down, and not do anything fancy with fabricating hatches or anything. I think I'm going to follow advice and just buy some waterproof deck hatches.

I put about 3 hours into it, about half of that was working on the engine. The sun was gone, so I pulled the cover and called it a night. Not much to show, but I'm closer than the day before:
150302_042.jpg
150302_043.jpg

I am very happy and a little surprised at how solid these decks are. And again, I am very pleased with this EcoLife plywood. It's nice stuff to work with.

I'm almost ready to start prepping for carpet. Unfortunately, the temperatures are going back down tomorrow, and it's supposed to rain for the next few days, so it might have to wait a while. I guess we will see...

I believe that larger panel may be the where the left side of the console mounts. I have the exact boat and have everything out of it at the moment, I'd have to go mock everything up to be certain. There's a lot of frigging panels and whatnot in these boats!

Jmill,
Yes, that is very close to what it looks like, except that the one on left side of the console is already there, attached to the console. Look:
150226_025.jpg

In fact, you can see both pieces in the above photo. The second piece is similar, but is a little different, and has the hinge and the hasp latch.

HEY.... looking at that picture just made me think of of something....

Could the second panel mount on the OUTSIDE of the left side of the console on that hinge? Could it be made to fold up and lock the rods in the tubes???

That would explain the similar shape, and the hinge. I need to go outside and check it out before it starts raining. Will post back later.

-TH

Mystery SOLVED.

Yes, it turns out, it fit the spot exactly. Flush with the front of the console, and flush with the top of the platform next to it. If I didn't know the rod tubes were there, I would never have guessed, as it just looks like part of the console. GREAT IDEA!

I'll have to take pictures tomorrow, if it's not raining too hard.

-Tony

You may be on to something there. Mine doesn't have that particular panel, but I remember it having a hinge and a lock clasp in that area and wondering wth they were for. I guess that's it

OK, I stuck it in place temporarily. Close enough to see the intended purpose.

Here is the pic:
150303_048.jpg

But now I can see why people might remove it. You have to open it to use the rod tubes. Then you have to close it, so it's not underfoot. If you move a lot during the day, that could get a bit annoying.

Even so, it's a cool little feature.

-TH

Great job so far! My brother has a 17 ft bass tracker that needs some work also. I'm not sure which model he has but it seems to be similar to this one. Maybe a couple differences. I have promised to help him restore it so I am really enjoying watching your progress. Please don't stop posting.
Also, you had questiones concerning the speed of this boat. I know that he has a 2-stroke 50 hp mercury and gets somewhere around 30 in his loaded down with ice chest and two people. I have a pro16 with a 4-stroke 40hp mercury and was getting almost 35mph loaded down. I added a stabilizer fin for better handling and lost about 5mph. I hope gives you an idea of what you should expect.

Thill:

You are a genius for figuring that console part out! Looks pretty cool. Have you decided to put that part back on under the console?

Latest posts