Small Jon boat to flats style boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evidrine

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have a small 10' alumacraft flat bottom that I would like to do something with. It is not my primary boat. I also have a pro16 bass tracker that I use for fishing and everything else I do on the water. I am just looking for a small project because I am tired of seeing it sit there not being used. Since it fits perfectly in the back of my truck, my goal is to use it in hard to reach areas where there is no boat launch available. There will be not much open water or anything like that. The stability is not an issue either. I know I will have to keep it as light as possible. I also have a Johnson 3.3 hp outboard that I will be using with the boat. I really like the micro/mini skiff style boats but do not like the price tag on them. I would like to convert this small flat to something similar. I have seen posts on this site of similar projects with larger boats. Has anyone done something like this with a boat this small? Any suggestions or photos from your own projects would be greatly appreciated.

I found this site a month ago. I just started reading and reading and......
There is great advice here some not so great, but everyone here has a passion to help others and to keep the tinny's afloat.
Posting a pic always get others juices flowing. I'm not sure if reading is a problem but visuals help!!
I had rotator cuff rebuilt. This site has helped pass my down time.

Well, I started my project this afternoon. I have decided to deck nearly the whole boat. From the bow to the rear of the last bench. Nearly all of my fishing will be standing so I will not be putting any seats. I am thinking leaning post and maybe a small ice chest secured to the deck around the middle of the boat. There will be hatches to access the areas between. The existing benches. Battery will be in the bow of the boat near the trolling motor, which I will be building a brabket for. I will steer the motor while standing just behing the last bench . This will be the only area that will not be decked. I will be adding flooring to this area to make it sturdier. Last will be the nav lights and maybe a LED spot light at the bow. I pretty much have it figured out in my head, I just need to put it all together.

I seem to be having trouble posting pictures at the moment. As soon as I figure this out I will be adding them. Sorry guys.

Deck the front, but leave some midship area for something somewhat heavy like batteries, fuel and a YetiCooler filled with ice to counter balance the top heavyness with you up on a elevated deck fishing....

My first tinboat was a lowe 10' flat bottom, flat frnt that we'd toss in the back of my yoda... I remember that bedliner'd help it slide right in! :)

I can remember gettin that boat into places that you just cant normally get to... Ive caught lots of fish in it

All of the material used for the deck frame might weigh around 10 lbs. I will most likely deck with 1/2" plywood. Might even be 3/8" if I can get away with it. I have fished this boat many times in tight areas while standing on the front deck and benches. I'm not too concerned about stability. Like I said, I will not be going anywhere potentially dangerous in it. The battery and trolling motor will be at the bow with a cooler around the middle of the boat. I'm hoping this will help stabilize it some.

Sorry, I had to step away from it for a little while. I had to take a short trip offshore for work and just got back in yesterday. I may have a little time tomorrow to get back to it. I wil be working on a switch pannel, nav light installation, and a trolling motor bracket. If I can get away I will pick up a sheet of plywood tomorrow afternoon.

Well I finally got around to getting a little work done today. Here is the boat I am dealing with. I'm sure you have all seen them.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426810183194.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426810183194.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1,341
  • uploadfromtaptalk1426810228139.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426810228139.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 1,341
Here is after I added the deck supports. I had found a set of floor frames that came with a metal building I had bought. It's a little rough looking but did the job better than expected with very little effort. Very light weight as well.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426810482126.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426810482126.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 1,341
  • uploadfromtaptalk1426810521638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426810521638.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1,341
After running some of my electrical I cut out the decking and set it in place to see how it fits. Turned out pretty well I think.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426810683659.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426810683659.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,341
  • uploadfromtaptalk1426810720281.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426810720281.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1,341
Here is a trolling motor bracket I made for the front of the boat. I wil have to take better pictures when I get a chance.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426811388030.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426811388030.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 1,341
  • uploadfromtaptalk1426811430962.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426811430962.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,341
This is the bracket for the front nave light and a small LED spot light that I had laying around.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1426811610121.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426811610121.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 653
  • uploadfromtaptalk1426811639667.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1426811639667.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 653
Next step will be making my hatch doors and sealing and painting the wood. After the decking is finnished I Will complete the wiring with a switch panel at the rear of the boat. There will also be ice chest tie downs in the middle and a leaning post where the rear bench was. I am also planning on building a light weight Jack plate for the motor and a pole anchor support. Last I will clean and touch up that old camo paint job. I will try my best to make it look nice again. Surprisingly this little guy is sti fairly light weight.

Nice work. I will have to start working on my 12 foot V hull if it ever warms up here.

Latest posts